Freedom Sure Ain’t Free

by Kelly on November 14, 2013

Happy late Veteran’s Day! We’d like to take time to honor all those who have served and continue to serve our country. The title track on Lawson’s new CD, Freedom Sure Ain’t Free, is a reminder of the sacrifices of our veterans. He wrote this song after being inspired by a true story about a marine who lost his life in Afghanistan. So to all veterans we say, “Thank you for your years of love and labor!”

photo (3)

Available on Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/freedom-sure-aint-free/id744565288 and on Lawson’s website: www.lawsonbates.com

A footnote from Mom about Lawson’s CD:

My favorite song is the title track, mentioned above, which brings tears to my eyes each time I hear it. My second favorite song on the CD is The End Down Here, which he wrote reflecting on reaching the end of life. All the little ones, however, love Happiness Is the Lord, which features western style yodeling.

We hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we have! We are all so very grateful to Andy Leftwich for his tremendous skill as an artist and producer. And we are indebted to the many artists that appeared on the CD and contributed their time and talent: Ben Isaacs, Bryan Sutton, Rob Ickes, Mike Johnson, Justin Moses, Jeff Taylor, Darren Vincent, Sharon and Cheryl White, Chip Davis, Paul Brewster, and Rachel Leftwich.

HowLovely November 15, 2013 at 10:59 am

Something tells me that he won’t be single for too long, either : )

elena November 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Hi Kelly and Lawson,
Congratulations Lawson, praying that your messages and music is heard by all. Maybe you’ll be able to perform at the Grand Ole Opry…Hey if anyone can dream it should certainly be you! Dream big!

God Bless and continued success!
Kelly, still waiting for pics from Chad and Erins wedding..when will you be posting?

xo

Kelly November 16, 2013 at 1:25 am

Dear Elena,
Chad just said it might be a week before pics are edited. Love, Kelly

Amy November 16, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Kelly, tell Chad that he and Erin are such a good looking couple, I doubt they need editing hahaha! :) She could have gotten married in a potato sack and looked gorgeous!

Sheri November 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Dear Lawson,
Just ordered 2 copies – one for my parents (who love country style music so perhaps this will increase their faith) and one copy for us. May God bless your work… yet it appears He already has!
Lv
Sheri

Laura November 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Listened to all the previews and enjoyed them all. However, The End Down Here was my fave too! Congrats Lawson! Sounds great!!!

Emilie November 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I’ve only heard “Freedom Sure Ain’t Free” and I love it! Will he make a music video for any of the songs?

Kelly November 16, 2013 at 1:23 am

Dear Emilie,
I haven’t heard him say :) Love, Kelly

Denise November 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Congrats Lawson!!! I hope your cd does great….But on a different, I was just wondering why you haven’t answered my question? I mean if you don’t agree with it than its ok just say so.

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 4:32 am

Dear Denise,
I’m so sorry…if you only knew just how behind I am in reading and answering comments, letters, and emails!! I’m embarrassed to say how many comments have not even been read, but I’m sure I’ll eventually, slowly come across it! Love, Kelly

Denise Johnson December 26, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Sorry you did respond to it and I’m sorry for being so horrible and saying horrible things to you….I don’t know if you got my reply but I apologized on another post!

Kelly December 30, 2013 at 4:52 am

Dear Denise,
No apologies needed. If it never got answered, feel free to resubmit it in case it got lost in spam. Love, Kelly

Symphony November 15, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Yay!! Thank you for posting this mrs. Bates!ive listened To a few of them and they sound great!! Praise God for the talents he gives us for his glory!:)
Love, symphony

Diane Dye November 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I am going to play Lawson’s CD today! Kay gave it to me when I was down. =) I think Lawson looks allot like you. Quite handsome and I am sure his CD will be a wonderful inspiration for all ages. Can’t wait to play it! Will let you know what songs are my favorite.

Love, Diane

Bethany November 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Congratulations Lawson! Can’t wait to listen to the cd.

Emily Walters November 15, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Hi Kelly! I just want to say that your family is a huge inspiration in my life. :) How was Erin’s wedding? I’m so happy for her! Take care and God bless!

-Emily

Kelly November 16, 2013 at 1:18 am

Dear Emily,
I’m partial, of course, but it was the most beautiful one I’ve seen…and the most sentimental (for me). Love, Kelly

Jessica November 16, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I agree:) It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen!

Emily Walters November 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Aww, how sweet! :) I am only 13, but I’m already dreaming about who God has in store for me. :)

Libby November 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm

These songs are great! I just listened to the samples on iTunes. They are all so encouraging and each have a strong, powerful message. Looking forward to purchasing a copy very soon :) Blessings on this new adventure in serving the Lord- this music is going to bless a whole lot of people and God’s definitely going to use it! God bless!

alexia November 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm

does anybody else in your family sing
and I thought your next blog post would be about erins wedding I cant wait to see pictures!!

Kelly November 16, 2013 at 1:16 am

Dear Alexia,
We’re waiting on the photographers to finish editing pics. I’ve received a handful of pics from friends, but was hoping to be able to use the ones the photographers took… Love, Kelly

Amy November 15, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Congratulations to Lawson! I previewed the album on iTunes and his voice is really wonderful, I was quite impressed :) I have a question that is completely off topic, I apologize, but how do you say Michael’s name? I’ve seen it written both Michael and Michaella and I was curious as to which it is?! I pray for her (and all of you, really) often and am never sure if I say it right lol! My boys are so sweet, they bless your family in their prayers before bed and then ask “When are we going to the Bates’ house?” and I just laugh and tell them “Well, we don’t actually KNOW them so that might be a bit awkward…Let’s just stick with praying for them for now?” ha! Have a great day!
Love, Amy Spring Creek, NV

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 4:30 am

Dear Amy,
I’m honored and would love to meet your family. It is legally spelled Michael. We first named her Michal (after David’s wife). Sadly, I had never read through my Bible. Once I discovered the fate of Michal (She was bitter and barren), I wanted to change her name. Since she was under a year old, we could legally change the spelling by a letter, so we added an “a”…going with the traditional name “Michael” which has a beautiful meaning. I wasn’t creative enough to know to add “y’s” to make a name appear feminine, so later on Christmas cards, I started writing “Michaella,” so people would know she was a girl. As she got older, she preferred to go by plain “Michael” (Her legal name). Her siblings often call her “Michy.” (pronounced “Micky”). Love, Kelly

Amy December 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I just saw that you replied! I told my oldest (who is 7) and now he’s begging for plane tickets to come meet you all! haha! Thank you for taking the time to explain. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Love, Amy

Nancy November 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm

WOW! My family and I are blown away by how great he sings and how wonderful the messages in his songs are! We’re gonna buy the whole cd once we get some more itunes cards :) My mom says “He’s as good, if not better, than any country music we’ve heard.” My older sister writes country music, and I can’t wait to let her hear this cd! My four sisters and I enjoy singing country music together for our family. I was wondering how many of the songs did he write on the cd? Do you have any advice on how to get songs copyrighted? Please pass on our congratulations and excitement to Lawson! I want to thank you Mrs. Bates for being so sweet in writing me back in the past; I know you must be a very busy person and it’s really great to get a reply. Nancy
P.S. Would he give his autograph if we asked for it? ;)

Kelly November 16, 2013 at 1:14 am

Dear Nancy,
He wrote two on that CD. A pastor friend wrote one also that he allowed Lawson to record. The easiest way to copyright is through BMI. Love, Kelly

Mindi November 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

You’re family is truly blessed beyond words! Lawson has an amazing voice! I absolutely love his style! He is incredibly talented! His music sounds like something that would come from big time country musicians in Nashville. I wish him all the best! There’s no limit to what he can do with his talent! Thank you so much for sharing! May God bless you and your family always!

Emory November 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Good job Lawson! Congratulations!

Tammi November 16, 2013 at 12:56 am

As the wife of a 26 year US Army active duty officer, I thank you for your recognition of our service members.

Ruthie November 16, 2013 at 1:17 am

How amazing! I will buy this whenever I get the extra money! God bless you all!

Bianca November 16, 2013 at 1:29 am

Yay the website’s up!! Ordered the CD several days ago, can’t wait for it to arrive! The previews sound great; nice job! Looking forward to the movie too . . . :)

Lindsey Sullivan November 16, 2013 at 2:17 am

Mrs. Bates,
Chad and Erin’s wedding ceremony was so beautiful and I am so grateful I got to attend! It was the most beautiful wedding!!! The dresses Michaella made for the girls were so pretty and her talent just amazes me. Erin and Chad make a wonderful couple and it was great to see how happy they were. I purchased Lawson’s CD after the wedding and Effie and I love it! He is so talented and we enjoy the CD very much!!!! You are so sweet and we loved talking to you at the wedding!!! Your dress and hair were so pretty!!! I saw the last update on Alyssa and I am so happy for her!!! We love every moment we spend with your family and can’t wait to see y’all again!!! (hopefully real soon!) It has been so great to get to know your family over this last year!!! Carlin, Josie, Effie and I have become such great friends and they are just so sweet!
Love, Lindsey

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 2:27 am

Dear Lindsey (and Effie),
It’s rare to meet such sweet radiant friends as you have been. Thank you for driving to meet us that first restaurant visit and for taking time to stay in touch! Keep those joyful smiles! Love, Kelly

Carrie November 16, 2013 at 2:43 am

kelly
is chip davis the same chip davis from mannheim steamroller or is it another chip davis?
ps congrats to zach,erin and alyssa

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 2:25 am

Dear Carrie,
Hmmmm…I have no idea. Sorry I couldn’t help. Love, Kelly

Lisa November 16, 2013 at 4:39 am

I can’t wait to hear the songs. Veterans’ Day is very special to my heart, because my husband has fought in two wars. In fact, our daughter was born while he was in Iraq. That year was difficult because I had three littles, was pregnant and my husband was leaving for a year, but like your son sings, “freedom isn’t free,” and we made that sacrifice willingly. My husband always said that our generation had to step up. Our grandparents’ generation stepped up against tyranny in WWII and our parents’ generation did in Vietnam. Thank your son from this retired soldier’s wife for making those songs. It is heartwarming to see young people realizing how precious our freedom is and what it has taken over the years to protect and defend it. :-) Many blessings, Lisa

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 2:24 am

Dear Lisa,
Thank you to your family for years of service!!!!! Our children enjoy playing outside, singing in a church, learning about God, making friends, choosing careers, and so many other things we take for granted, all because of sacrifices made by our veterans!!!! How little we realize our great debt in comparison to ALL that we enjoy daily!! Love, Kelly

Kimmie November 16, 2013 at 7:21 am

This is so first-rate. He has an awesome voice!

Cheryl November 16, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Congrats Lawson!!! I love the songs on the CD. What an exciting time in all of your lives with weddings, courtships and CD releases all around the holidays.. I watch Love Times 21 (I bought all the episodes on Amazon and watch them often) the other day. Tori said she is a jeans and tshirt kind of girl but her and the rest of the girls (including Erin) were absolutely BEAUTIFUL at the wedding and I cant wait to see the whole thing. Will Zach and Whitney’s wedding be on TV also? Looking forward to see what the Lord has planned for all the kids….:)

Julia November 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm

That is so neat! Thank you for honoring our veterans…it was very sweet of you! I’m sure Lawson will do great!!!

Meredith November 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm

When referring to a member of The United States Marine Corps, it is customary to capitalize the “m” in Marine, as it is recognized as a proper noun. It is done to show respect for the servicemen and women who have earned that title.

A former. US Marine.

Kelly November 18, 2013 at 4:19 am

Dear Meridith,
Thank you!! My fault for getting in a hurry! Love, Kelly

Kristen November 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm

This is awesome! Thank you for being such an encouragement if everything that you do. God bless! <3

Linda Robinson November 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Congratulations Lawson on your CD, Kelly & Gill, what a talented and thoughtful young man you have . x

Alison November 17, 2013 at 10:30 pm

How cool! Love Ben Isaacs…got to meet him in person around the beginning of this year. Happy for you all, especially for Lawson. Wish I could hear a preview!

Kelly November 18, 2013 at 4:15 am

Dear Alison,
I think itunes lets you listen to previews…not sure. Love, Kelly

Bianca November 18, 2013 at 7:08 am

CD Baby has previews as well :)

Ann November 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Have been so blessed ever since i have discovered this family.
Thanks to YOUTUBE video’s and now your website .
I would have to say, one of the biggests blessings and messages your family proclaims, is the fact that grass roots americans are still alive and thriving.
The media has been, unfortunately, taken over by the minority of non grass roots beliefs – trying to make us veiwers believe that the majority think the way they do.
Not so. America needs more families like yours to be a voice and a force of enfluence in America.
I thank the lord for you both and the way you are rasing your family.
Stay strong in the Lord and the power of His might.
You are loved!
Ann

Momandlovinit November 18, 2013 at 1:47 am

Tammi, thank you for the service and sacrifice of your family on behalf of our nation. God bless each of you!

Kelly, Lawson is incredibly talented. Praying his message is always in honor of our heavenly father and that it reaches many for Christ.

Symphony November 18, 2013 at 3:03 am

I was wondering Mrs. Bates, when did Mr. Bates begin ya’lls church? Thanks!
Love, symphony

Kelly November 18, 2013 at 4:09 am

Dear Symphony,
A little over a year ago… I think around September, 2012. Love, Kelly

Kayla Pugh November 18, 2013 at 3:59 am

Lawson I’m getting your cd when I get paid again Freedom isn’t free is my favorite so far

Jennifer November 18, 2013 at 5:49 am

Congrats Lawson! I can’t wait to hear the music!

Brittany November 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Hi Mrs. Bates,
My husband is currently deployed and I just wanted to say I absolutely love this song! Being a military spouse is hard especially on communication, do you have any tips or advice? Thank you for you and your families ministry!

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 2:18 am

Dear Brittany,
Oh my heart goes out to you…I haven’t walked in your shoes. I’ve never been away from Gil more than a week, and I thought that was pure torture. I would suggest doing little things each day to remember and treasure your hubby! Skype, write notes, keep a journal, find creative ways to express your love through the mail, meditate on his wonderful qualities often, pray for him. Become very involved in a good church that can help be a support family for your emotional and spiritual needs. Please know how grateful we all are for these sacrifices you both are making for our benefit. We all owe you a huge debt of gratitude and love. Love, Kelly

T. Gates November 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm

It’s so good to see people using the talents God gave them for Him! On a different note, have you ever had any of your children express the desire to go to school with other kids? If so, how did you handle that? I just had my 9-year-old express that desire to me, and I feel like I didn’t give him the explanation he needed! I explained that for our family homeschooling is best b/c we have prayed about it and feel like it’s where our family needs to be. But, I feel like he was a little disappointed with that answer.

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 1:24 am

Dear T. Gates,
I’ve never experienced that. Of course my kids are in a large family with lots of interaction. Also, they have many friends and have always been involved in church and community. I would suggest getting involved in some extra curricular activities. Love, Kelly

T. Gates November 26, 2013 at 3:01 am

Thanks for your reply! He is the oldest of six. There are a few families near us that homeschool, but I would be interested in meeting families in other parts of the country. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that?

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 4:20 am

Dear T. Gates,
The easiest way to meet like minded families is through church, church camp meetings, home school groups and get togethers, and family camps. Ministry opportunities like the nursing home can also be rewarding. Love, Kelly

Joni November 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Hi Mrs.Kelly,
Lawson has an awesome singing talent! Tell him to keep up the good work.

I am so happy for Zach, Erin, and Alyssa with the new chapter in their lifes. I know there is a lot of excitement at your house right now!

Your girl’s skin always looks so radiant. Would you mind sharing their skin care routine? Like what cleanser and moisturizer they use for their face. Any tips they have would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 1:33 am

Dear Joni,
They use Cerve lotion and Cerve cleanser. Love, Kelly

Joni November 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Thank you!

Symphony November 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Mrs. Bates,
I just wanted to let you know that Lawson’s CD is also on cdbaby.com and there it is selling for only $10. $5 cheaper than on Lawson’s website. Does Lawson know about that? I bought it was strange that it was two different prices. I just don’t want him getting ripped off. :)
Love, symphony

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 2:14 am

Dear Symphony,
Downloads are cheaper than hard copies. That is probably the difference. Love, Kelly

alexia November 18, 2013 at 10:04 pm

please post any pics from the wedding

Kelly November 18, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Dear Alexia,
I will as soon as we get them back from the photographers. Love, Kelly

Khiana November 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm

We’re waiting patiently lol.

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 1:08 am

Dear Khiana,
Sorry so slow…one post done, but many to follow! Love, Kelly

Penny November 19, 2013 at 1:34 am

Are you and gil lonely without erin around the house? Gotta be a big change for y’all.

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 2:06 am

Dear Penny,
It’s certainly a change, but we do see them quite a bit since they live nearby and attend the same church! They are fun to be around as they are so playfully in love! Love, Kelly

Symphony November 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Does Andrew Patton have a website? Thanks!
Love, symphony

Kelly December 22, 2013 at 3:39 am

Dear Symphony,
I’m really not sure if he has a website or not. Love, Kelly

Penny November 19, 2013 at 7:09 pm

How are you and Gil adjusting to Erin’s new life? Has to be quite an adjustment for you in the next few months, Erin married, Zach soon to be married and on his own, Alyssa coming up sometime in the future. Do you feel any empty nest syndrome? No matter how large a family is, you have to notice a hole in the family. Will you be doing thanksgiving with the newly weds?

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 1:15 am

Dear Penny,
Oh the first few days were tearful ones for all the siblings. I spent the first night alone in my room looking at pictures and crying happy tears! They’ve been back from their honeymoon, so we get to see a good bit of them and its always so fun! They are precious together!! Yes, we are spending Thanksgiving together and also celebrating my mom’s 75th birthday. Love, Kelly

Bella November 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm

For those of you who would like to see some pictures of Chad and Erin on their wedding day, go to elizabethzellonphotography.com and chadsperspective.blogspot.com
Fun pictures for you all to enjoy! ~Bella

Kristine November 20, 2013 at 12:26 am

Congratulations to Lawson! That is wonderful and exciting for him and your family!
Congratulations also to Erin and Chad! All of your girls are very proper and have great classic styles. I was wondering how Erin styles her hair. It is a great style that I would like to learn to re-create. Thank you for your time and may you and your family continue to be blessed this year!

Sincerely,

Kristine

Emily Santrucek November 20, 2013 at 4:12 am

I just ordered a copy of this cd and I can’t wait to get it. From listening to the previews, Lawson is a very talented singer. I know I’ll enjoy this cd. =) I also have Erin’s 2 piano cds and I love them. Your family is a blessing to many. Your friend Emily from Michigan

alexia November 20, 2013 at 5:54 pm

there are some on chads website

EmilyD November 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Well done, Lawson!!! I bet you’re excited – what a ministry you you have with your CD. Keep up the good work. God bless you all. :)

Kristine November 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hello Bates Family!

Congratulations to Lawson on his successful album! May him and your family continue to be blessed!

Sincerely,
The Logan Family

Amy November 21, 2013 at 1:32 am

I have to admit, I am not at all a fan of country or anything similar to it. I was curious, however, in what your son had created and decided to take a quick listen to a few of the songs. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised – Lawson has a pure sounding tone and overall excellent talent. I may consider purchasing some music :)

Sarah November 21, 2013 at 10:18 am

Just wanted to say what a fantastic and up lifting cd! My family and I have been greatly blessed by the music on this cd. (One of our favorites is when Lawson yodels on Happiness is The Lord) so thank you Lawson! I was wandering if y’all have ever considered making a family cd? I have heard you all sing through you tube and I know that I would love to hear y’all sing more often:-) it’s always a blessing to find good Godly music. So just curious if y’all were considering that at any point.
God Bless

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 1:10 am

Dear Sarah,
That’s encouraging! We’ve talked about it, but know that our singing would be mostly on the joyful noise side…lol!! Love, Kelly

Kristina Visser November 21, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I am listening to my cd right now and I am LOVING it!!!! What a wonderful job he did. I can’t wait for more to come out. I will be buying more! I bought 2 for gifts but, I know that I will be gifting more!!!!
I also own Erin’s cds and very much enjoy those also. These are such nice cds to give as gifts as I know that they are very clean and that there is nothing bad about them. It is hard to find good music for my kids(8 and 6) to listen to. And these are the perfect thing for them!
Thank you so much!!!

Julia-all 4 music November 23, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Oh how cool! Lawson is super talented! God has given himself a great blesssing! I hope Erin and chad’s wedding went great! love, Julia

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 1:47 am

Dear Julia,
I’m partial, but it was the most sentimental wedding I’ve attended!! Love, Kelly

Cheryl November 23, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Congrats Lawson and it is an awesome CD. Has your family ever thought about recording a Christmas Cd? All of your family have great voices and I love to hear you guys sing.

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 1:03 am

Dear Cheryl,
We’d love to make a homemade version just for fun memories, since the kids are growing so fast! Love, Kelly

Cheryl November 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm

If you ever would, I would love a copy

Jen November 26, 2013 at 4:04 am

He’s really talented!! He sings really good!:) I’ve only got to listen to previews but they where really good! One of my favorites is “Happiness is The Lord” with the yodeling. Does anyone else yodel in your family, Zach maybe? I know everyone else sings ( y’all all sing REALLY good together as a family!)
God bless, Jen !

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 4:17 am

Dear Jen,
Yes, Zach, Lawson, Erin, Carlin, Josie, and Katie yodel. Carlin is one of my favorite yodelers! Love, Kelly

Linda Robinson November 26, 2013 at 10:49 am

Dear Kelly ,
Thank you so much for putting the lovely photos on here from Chad & Erins wedding. Erin is a beautiful young lady inside and out and Chad a considerate young man . May they have a long and happy marriage.

Kelly, how are you and Gill coping with all the arrangements with having two weddings in quite a short space of time? I’m sure your loving home is filled with excitment. Best Wishes, Linda.

Kelly December 5, 2013 at 6:26 am

Dear Linda,
God gives grace and strength, but it has made for some anxiety and laughs, of course! Love, Kelly

Beanie November 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Wow… as a total U.S. Military freak, I very much appreciate this song. :) :) <3
Is it about a Marine y'all knew?
It's great that Lawson didn't use drums! :)

Kelly November 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Dear Beanie,
We didn’t know the man that died, but we knew David Tremmel in his unit. David gave testimony at our church about his officer who lost his life to save the men under his command. The song was inspired by that testimony. Love, Kelly

Jean November 28, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I have many friends and family members who have served in the military. I was wondering if any of your children have ever expressed an interest in joining the military, and if you and Gil would be okay with this.

Thank you for sharing so much of your family’s lives with us, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Kelly November 30, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Dear Jean,
None of my children have, but I am very grateful for those who have. My grandfather and uncle served. I would agree to support my children in any area they felt the Lord directing, but would give the normal “mother” lectures to avoid things that would hinder their walk with the Lord. Love, Kelly

Natasha November 30, 2013 at 3:03 am

I’ve listened to both of Erin’s and Lawson’s CDs, and I must say, they’re both very well done works of music! Thank you for using the gifts and talents that the Lord has blessed you with to encourage others and to bring honor to the Lord’s name!

Your family is such a beautiful light that penetrates the darkness of this world. Every time I listen to Erin or Lawson’s CDs or read your blog, it uplifts and encourages me very much. Thank you for all that you all do!

Jenny Friedlein December 2, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I ordered this for my 7 year old son for Christmas, but I am certain our whole family will enjoy it. My son is particularly fond of all things Christian cowboy :) It is a blessing to have older young men to encourage my boys in their walks with the Lord and have fun doing it. God’s continued blessings on your sweet family. We pray the Lord will allow our families paths to cross one day.

Gen December 6, 2013 at 8:26 pm

It does seem odd that a healthy young man would sing about the military yet not join it. Does he want to join up?

Kelly December 23, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Dear Gen,
I hope its a very common thing for all of us to think about our military and the sacrifices they make for us. We talk about it often in our family. Our kids grew up seeing their dad strike up a conversation with military people whenever he saw them, often buying their meal and thanking them for their service. The song was motivated by a true story he heard that touched us all. A wife is missing her husband. Her kids are without a father…All because he gave his life for his country and the men under his charge. That story gripped us all and a song was born. Love, Kelly

Kayla Pugh December 27, 2013 at 12:15 am

Just order Lawson cd on iTunes love it my favorite song is nail to the cross

Cheryl December 29, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I just download this CD on my new tablet. All I can say is WOW!!! Lawson has done a terrific job. I plan to download Erin’s next. I have watched all the songs that the family sings on youtube. They all have wonderful voices. Just wondering if any of the younger ones (Carlin, Josie, Katie) have wanted to have a solo when the family sings. I love watching the younger ones grow up and see their features change. All of the children are so beautiful. God Bless!!!!

Kelly December 30, 2013 at 3:45 am

Dear Cheryl,
The three younger girls usually sing several songs together when we travel places. Now, Carlin does a large majority of the lead, along with Alyssa. Love, Kelly

Cheyenne January 4, 2014 at 1:09 am

Hey Mrs.Bates! Could you tell Lawson that I love his CD?! I Just bought some of the songs off ITunes,and I absolutely fell in love with the song,God on the Mountian! It is such a blessing&encouragement to be able to see another young Christian sing&play music for The Lord!
In Christ,
Cheyenne

Dorena January 28, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I just listened to previews of the songs on iTunes and will be downloading them to our I pod. It is so good to see young people growing up and allowing their talents to be used for the Lord and not for Hollywood. We have 3 young daughters . Watching they way the world is going and how Churches are getting farther and farther away from God it is so refreshing to see your family grow and take a stand for Christ in their lives. Sometimes when you are homeschooling and trying to live your life for Christ you feel all alone , it is so great to see other families striving for the same goal in life. We don’t have cable tv in our home but have let our girls watch your show. It is an encouragement to see the love your family has for each other.. A bit of sunshine in a dark world :)

Kate March 30, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I absolutely love this album. I like to listen to it while doing homework for my college classes. It’s so great to be able to listen to a wonderful young man with a wholesome message. I definitely appreciate his talent and hard work. Thank you, Lawson, for being a good steward of the gifts the Lord has given you! And thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Bates for being such an encouragement and for raising such great children!