Heading to Nashville

by Kelly on September 20, 2013

photo 26

Lawson has been recording his first vocal CD over the last several months, and is aiming to complete it in October.

Our friend, Andy Leftwich (accomplished recording artist and fiddler for Ricky Skaggs)  is producing the CD, and helped bring together some of Nashville’s top artists for the project! The musicians include: Brian Sutton – acoustic guitar, Ben Isaacs – upright bass, Andy Leftwich – fiddle & mandolin, Rob Ikes – dobro, Justin Moses – banjo, Mike Johnson – steel, and Jeff Taylor – accordian. Vocal harmonies will include: The Whites, Darrin Vincent, Chip Davis, and Rachel Leftwich. The whole experience has been fascinating (and fun!). Lawson has learned quite a bit and is so grateful for all the help (and patience)  he has received from Andy and all the other experienced musicians.

photo 4  Two of the songs (Mom’s favorites) were written by Lawson. There’s a wide variety of gospel and bluegrass styles, including a patriotic and a yodeling song! photo 5

photophoto 20photo 14photo 11photo 23photo 9photo 28photo 13photo 6photo 16

Sunshine September 20, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I would like to buy a copy of his music. Will it be available on the web for purchase, like on iTunes?

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 3:00 am

Dear Sunshine,
He plans to put a web link on our site that will make the CD available. Love, Kelly

Kim September 20, 2013 at 1:51 pm

How wonderful! It’s truly amazing what gifts god gives to us. Best of wishes had for a successful future. God Bless.

Brandy September 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Hi Bates family. I think Lawson has an awesome voice, and it is great that he’s recording a new CD! I look forward to it. I just want to say that I wish your family’s show was still on TLC. You have so many interesting things going on in your family!
Congratulations to Erin on her engagement. Congrats to Zach on his courtship. And congrats to Alyssa on her courtship.

Becky September 22, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I agree Brandy-miss seeing them on the show! :-(

Barb September 20, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Wow! So many exciting things happening in your family.

sonjapetersen September 20, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Hello Kelly,

Lawson is looking very proud to be a singer- well done! I think it’s hard work to record a CD, he gets lots of support and is really looking like a cowboy. I like it- Very handsome son you have! Maybe the next one to get married…!?
Would love to hear his yodeling song.
Love, Sonja

Lisa September 20, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Wow! Rob Ickes! That really IS something. All the best from Germany.

Kiki September 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm

How fun!! Any word on when the album will be released, and where? (iTunes, Amazon etc…)

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 2:54 am

Dear Kiki,
He’s planning for it to be available in October and will have a website with a link on ours. Love, Kelly

Kristy J. September 20, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Wow! What an amazing opportunity and an amazing CD, I’m sure! I can’t wait to hear it. Any idea when it may be released? I know you said he is hoping to finish in October but when will we all get to purchase it?
Blessings,
Kristy Jeske
P.S. I’m curious to know if you ever received my letter? :-)

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 2:59 am

Dear Kristy,
If all goes as planned either the end of October or first of November. Love, Kelly

Symphony September 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm

great pics!!!

Symphony September 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm

i was wondering if darren vincent is the same man who sings in the cd the gospel side of dailey and vincent?

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 2:53 am

Dear Symphony,
Yes, he’s the same. Love, Kelly

Symphony September 23, 2013 at 2:12 am

Wow!!!!:) that is very neat, the gospel side of Dailey and and Vincent is one of my favorite CDs!! I can’t wait till it comes out:) I definately want to buy it!
Thank you so much Mrs. Bates for replying to my question! I appreciate the time that you spend to share your lives and answer questions, as well as be an encouragement!
I have another question for you- I wrote letters to your six oldest daughters ( I didn’t want to leave one out) and I want to mail them soon, but I was wondering if they have time to write other girls?
Love, symphony

Kelly September 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Dear Symphony,
Some might write back, but I can’t make any guarantees! The older ones are always on the run, but the school aged ones have more time! Love, Kelly

Symphony September 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Okay, thank you!
love, symphony

Jessica September 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm

How exciting! I love how Lawson is a singing cowboy:) Will his recordings be available for purchase?

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 2:52 am

Dear Jessica,
Yes, lol, he’ll have to recover all that lawn mowing money…haha!! Love, Kelly

alexia September 20, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I know this is off suject, but are whitney and zach getting married?

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 2:51 am

Dear Alexia,
Well, that’s actually the subject of my next post…lol! Love, Kelly

Alexis September 21, 2013 at 4:49 am

Now I am on pins and needles… Praying for good and happy news :)

Alexis

Evelyn September 21, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Wow, your children are keeping you busy! You are at such an exciting place in life, I hope you are enjoying it thoroughly!! :)

Symphony September 23, 2013 at 2:12 am

Can’t wait to see the next post!!!:)
Love, symphony

alexia September 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

yay!!!! can’t wait!:):):):):):):):):):):):)

Ruthie September 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Congratulations Lawson! How exciting! Praying for blessings and favor over this project!

Marlana Ward September 21, 2013 at 12:48 am

Can’t wait to hear some songs from the album! I’ve always loved Erin’s cd’s and I’m sure Lawson’s will be favorites too! Being from East TN, I have a great love of the bluegrass sound! How exciting!

tammy mckee September 21, 2013 at 12:51 am

Hey does Lawson know who Ricky Skaggs is and all about. Is the pictures up above going to be on his album. That is so awesome! How did Lawson get in with Ricky Skaggs. Can’t wait to hear it. God Bless. Pray for us were waiting for the Lord to show us the way we need to go in a circumstance that’s coming up. Hope to tell you soon. God Bless The McKee

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 2:50 am

Dear Tammy,
Well, we don’t actually know Ricky Skaggs. We’ve met him, but we are very close friends with his fiddler, Andy Leftwich. We met Andy and his wife Rachel when we were visiting a church on one of our trips to Nashville. We fell in love with them both…they have a very sweet testimony and love the Lord! Love, Kelly

Elena September 21, 2013 at 1:45 am

WOW!! This is so exciting for him. I wish him tons of success and will look forward to his CD in October. You have very talented kids..Is anyone else going to follow in Erin and Lawsons footsteps?

thanks for the updates..God bless

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 2:46 am

Dear Elena.
Zach has been working on writing some songs too, but we’ll have to wait and see…lol! I think he has other things on his mind! Love, Kelly

Courtnie September 21, 2013 at 3:03 am

Yay yay yay!!! :D I’ve been super excited about his CD ever since we came to see y’all this summer, now I’m even more excited… if that’s possible! lol. Can’t wait to get it!! Hope to see y’all soon! Love y’all! :)

Diva September 21, 2013 at 4:38 am

When do we get to hear about Zach?! *L* The suspense is killing me!

Kelly September 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Dear Diva,
I’ll try to work on it today…lol! Love, Kelly

Kari September 21, 2013 at 4:55 am

Wow! That’s awesome! Congratulations, Lawson!

Tina September 21, 2013 at 6:31 am

Congrats Lawson! Writing and recording songs is hard work. I’m thrilled you have Andy and Ricky Skaggs with you for support and encouragement. We met Andy and Rachel at church camp last summer and they are amazing people with such God-given talent. Thanks and I can’t wait to hear the cd!

Vanessa September 21, 2013 at 1:29 pm

What wondeful news. I am so happy for Lawson. I wish the best for him and your family. My prayer is that this cd will be a witnessing tool and a great encouragement to others. May God get the glory :)

Emma September 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I am a huge fan of your blog here and check for new posts every week :) I really enjoy reading about your fascinating family full of joy, commitment and initiative in so many areas of life!! It’s a blessing to see how you make a huge family work in such an encouraging way. I really admire you and Gil! As many people I would love to see the show back on (and was very happy to see you on the recently aired Duggar episode :) !!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Emma

Amber September 21, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Ever since I saw your family sing “The Love of God” on youtube, I’ve thought Lawson needed to make a CD lol.

Jody September 21, 2013 at 4:36 pm

That’s great! My mom’s cousin was a well-known fiddler back in the day, Toby Stroud. Wishing Lawson much success with his record!

Elizabeth M September 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm

With Andy Leftwich, Ricky Skaggs and the Whites and Ben Isaacs as back up and instrumentalist that CD is going to be amazing! Wow ! That is like a dream come true! Quite a few of my bluegrass heros thrown into 1! Nathan told my sister a bit of Zach proposal plans , can’t wait to hear the full story! Your family is so amazing! Congrats Lawson!
-Maryville-
Elizabeth M

Michelle September 21, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Glad to know some good music is coming our way. Your children are very talented.

On a side note, I wondered if you and your girls liked to quilt?

Thanks,
Michelle

Kelly October 1, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Dear Michelle,
Michael did a little, but I think it wasn’t a hobby she kept up. Love, Kelly

Pam A. September 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Good for him! Can’t wait to buy his CD!

Amy September 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Lawson is so very handsome! Has he ever considered being in a courtship with a girl? What kind of girls are your sons attracted to?
Blessings on your family from mine!

Kelly October 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Dear Amy,
I’m sure he will one day, but he’s focused on a few goals! Well, they all are different with different tastes, but I think every guy likes a girl that’s joyful, faithful, good character, considerate, Godly, etc. Love, Kelly

Lynsey September 21, 2013 at 9:50 pm

So exciting!!! I’m definitely buying it when he releases it!! :)

"Si" September 22, 2013 at 12:12 am

If Lawson is going to be a singing cowboy, he’ll need a singing cowgirl to go along with him! Is there anybody that’s interested in filling that position? I may know someone who could;0)

Kelly October 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Dear Si,
LOL…well, he tells us he’s not looking anytime soon, Si!! Haha! You’re a nut! I’ll tell Lawson you’re looking out for his best interests! Hope to see y’all soon!Love, Kelly

Katie September 22, 2013 at 1:59 am

Thank you for keeping us posted. You are a continual encouragement! Is Alyssa in a courtship?

Kelly October 13, 2013 at 4:21 am

Dear Katie,
They are most likely planning to wait until she is 19. Love, Kelly

Shelly Cuellar September 22, 2013 at 2:06 am

That is great! I cannot wait to here his CD. I’m also very excited to hear about Zach and Whitney!!!

Jennifer B September 22, 2013 at 4:46 am

That is wonderful!! I can’t wait to hear his music! I am a fan of Darrin Vincent and his group Dailey and Vincent. So exciting!! I don’t live far from Nashville. We moved to Clarksville 2 years ago. Your family is such a blessing!! I sure wish TLC would bring back your show!!
Jennifer

Elena September 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Thank you Kelly for your response..I was so excited. Yes, you are right Zach would have other things on his mind..Wishing him lots of success too. So much change going on in the family, its too be expected as the kids get older.

xoxo

Julia September 22, 2013 at 4:33 pm

That is so cool! I’d love to listen to his songs… :-)

Fran September 22, 2013 at 8:28 pm

What is Lawson doing with an Arkansas shirt on? Is he not a Tennessee fan anymore? :)

Kelly September 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Dear Fran,
He’s definitely a UT fan…but he’s got good friends in Arkansas…lol! Love, Kelly

Austin October 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm

He sure does, doesn’t he? I can think of at least 22 of them. Even though, we know Anna’s not from Arkansas, we won’t fault her for that.

Emily S. September 23, 2013 at 4:16 am

What an exciting new adventure for Lawson! Your children are all so talented. :-) I can’t wait to hear how the CD turns out!!

Kyra September 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Hi again Mrs Bates, I was just wondering if you ever found my email regarding designing a bracelet for Erin.

Ps fantastic news on Lawsons CD : )

Kyra x

Kelly September 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Dear Kyra,
I’m sorry I didn’t see it. I’m very behind in emails. Usually they are 6-8 months old before I get to read them. Love, Kelly

Kyra September 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Ahh not to worry, I’ve made her one anyway, should I send it to the address on your contact page?

I bet your family are just so thrilled, The Lord is most defiantly showing you his best for each of your children, I can imagine both Erin & Chad, and Zach & Whitney are just floating around with all this excitement of weddings in the air!!

As I’m 25, my 4 little ones are still a while off from finding their spouse, but me and my husband can’t help but think and pray for their future happiness : ) we all very much look up to you all, and often bring you into our conversations, in the ‘what would the Bates do’ kind of thing…

Our eldest daughter had a bit of homework from Sunday School this passed week, and she was asked to write a poem about 3 people that made her happy, she chose Jesus, Myself, and ‘Mrs Bates’!!!

Kind Regards
Love, Kyra : )

Kelly October 1, 2013 at 5:53 am

Dear Kyra,
I am soooooo very honored! Please tell your daughter that she made me happy as well! May God bless you! Love, Kelly

Tashia September 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Love seeing the pictures! That’s so neat Lawson’s making a CD!! Would love to hear it! And I have a question! Where can I find your TV show episodes? Thanks! ~Tashia

Kelly September 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Dear Tashia,
I’m not sure where the shows are available. Someone told us they’re available on iTunes, but I’m not sure. Love, Kelly

Elizabeth September 25, 2013 at 2:18 am

Tashia,

I know you can find them at Amazon.com’s streaming service

They don’t come up when I search itunes. :(

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth September 24, 2013 at 4:44 am

THIS is just what the world (and especially this country) needs now….wholesome music!!
Will Lawson be doing any live shows/concerts?

Best of luck and blessings to him!

Kelly September 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Dear Elizabeth,
I don’t think he’s planned that far. We just sing at churches typically. I think he’s going to switch gears and start back working on his movie… Love, Kelly

Elizabeth September 25, 2013 at 2:00 am

Thanks for answering my question! :)

I would sure love to buy a copy of his album.

Movie or music, I wish him and your whole family the very best!
Blessings,
Elizabeth

Symphony October 18, 2013 at 5:15 pm

What kind of a movie is he doing?

Kelly October 21, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Dear Symphony,
I think it has a western theme, but I haven’t read his script. Love, Kelly

Christina September 25, 2013 at 1:15 am

Wow! Way to go Lawson! To have musical talent and be able to share it is an amazing gift! Many Blessings to you on this journey! I cannot wait to hear the new music. God Bless!

Beanie September 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Yay for Lawson! :)

Kathy Bilodeau September 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm

kelly

Wow! there are a lot of great bluegrass names there Lawson got to record with! Darrin Vincent is one of my favorites, can’t wait to hear the music!
Kathy

Dani September 30, 2013 at 11:29 am

Kelly you have such a beautiful family, what a blessing it must be to have such talented, well mannered and kind children. Its lovely to know that there are families out there that still teach their children the values and beliefs that you and your husband do.

Love from a fan from New Zealand.
Dani xo

Christy October 1, 2013 at 12:25 am

Very cool! :)

Elaine October 2, 2013 at 3:31 am

What a beautiful thing Lord Jesus creates! Congratulations Zach and Whit!!! :-)

Austin October 4, 2013 at 2:25 pm

This is awesome! Judging by the names on the musician list, this CD sounds like it will be pure bluegrass. I love all these Nashville guys, and have heard them all on countless recordings. I’m so excited for this to be released. Rest assured, I’ll be getting a copy!
Please do me a favor, and let Zack, Lawson, Erin, and Alyssa know I’m very happy for them all in their ventures, and may God bless them all.
And God bless you and the rest of the family as well.

Brandi October 11, 2013 at 11:48 am

So cool! I grew up with Justin Moses in Monroe County, TN. We went to the same school. He was a couple grades ahead of me. I have heard him play a few times. He is very talented. What a small world! Blessings to you all!

Christy November 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

We got his cd at the wedding! My boys call the yodeling song their “theme” song!! haha And Jimi and I just love 1 and 12! They are our favorites! The whole cd is so well done!

Alexandra November 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

What type of music will his cd be comprised of?

Kelly November 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Dear Alxandra,
It is Christian. The styles include patriotic, gospel, bluegrass, and western yodeling. Love, Kelly