It’s Cow Day!!

by Kelly on July 14, 2013

We all love Chick-Fil-A! Yesterday was cow appreciation day…dress up like a cow and get a FREE meal!!ANY meal…with a side and a drink! WOW! That’s a family friendly offer we couldn’t pass up! So with a little eye liner, safety pins, and construction paper we headed to the closest one!

How does a large family stay on budget and eat at Chick-Fil-A when there’s no freebies?? We normally order 12 packs of 12 piece chicken nugget deals, 40 buttered buns (with pickles of course!), a pint of slaw, and 21 waters…next we dump the nuggets on a tray, grab a butter knife and quickly dice the nuggets. Load a bun with diced chicken, pickles, and a little slaw… and we usually go home with leftovers, believe it or not!

315

mail.google.com26

Donna Jones July 14, 2013 at 9:56 pm

WOW wish I would have known I have a little pokey cow who would have loved to dress up and go to Chick-fil-a. Your little and big guys are adorable.

Susan July 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I would love to know more of how you order when you guys go out to eat! We don’t do kids meals, but with our growing family I am noticing the bill getting more expensive the few times we do go.

Adorable little cows!

Kelly July 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Dear Susan,
Once in a blue moon we have a biscuit night.. that means go to Cracker Barrel and order 5 dozen biscuits with butter and jelly.They love their biscuits! We have a Zaxby’s that has $1 children’s meals on Wednesday night (includes chicken, toast, fries, drink). We have Bojangles that offers $2 meal deals for all ages on Wednesday nights after church (includes chicken, biscuit, side item, drink… Zach negotiated with the owner for this deal since practically our whole church goes on Wed. nights). McCalister’s Deli has free children’s meals on Wed. nights (includes main item, side, drink… we go in large groups, so there are plenty of adults to help compensate for free kids meals!) Chick-Fil-A of course is a favorite and we take advantage of any ads or calendar cards. We usually order adult meals and split at restaurants if children’s meals are high, and drinking water saves tons! Love, Kelly

Susan July 16, 2013 at 2:07 am

Thank you! Great ideas! :)

Justice S. July 16, 2013 at 4:54 am

Yummy! Reading this made me hungry, haha! I love Cracker Barrel, do y’all like apple butter on your biscuit, theirs is so good.

Kelly July 17, 2013 at 4:51 am

Dear Justice,
Gil loves the apple butter. Most of the kids grab the strawberry jelly! Love, Kelly

Natalie July 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm

SO cute!:-)

Lise July 15, 2013 at 12:50 am

I’m sure you’ve done the math, but I used to work at CFA and it might be cheaper to order a tray of nuggets instead of 12 of the 12 packs. :)

Kelly July 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Dear Lise,
We’ll keep that in mind. We usually have coupons for the nugget packs :) And of course we LOVE our calendars (Well, cards for this year!) Love, Kelly

Rebekah M. July 15, 2013 at 1:49 am

How fun! It looks like your family were enjoying themselves. Did everyone wear spots?

Kelly July 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Dear Rebekah,
Yep! We even got Lawson to pin on a few…lol! Love, Kelly

Tonya Bailey July 15, 2013 at 2:56 am

So cute!! I’ll have to try that with my bunch if they ever run that offer again!! :)

Kelly July 15, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Dear Tonya,
They do it once a year… but they do a lot of other fun offers like dress up like a fireman or policeman to honor them, etc. Love, Kelly

Cathryn July 15, 2013 at 3:03 am

That is awesome! Free meals, and fun dress-ups! :D And I love the way you chop up the nuggets and make little chicken burgers, that is such a great idea! :) You and your family are a blessing in so many ways :)

Cathryn July 15, 2013 at 3:34 am

Hi Kelly, I also wanted to add that your family and this blog were what started my faith journey. I was reading a lot of your blog (including catching up on the blog entries for the previous few years), and I read a blog entry where you commented to someone about reading the Bible and you gave some suggestions. I followed your advice and I read the New Testament, and have now begun reading the Old Testament. And last night I went to a church service, and the minister called people to come forward to repent for their unfaithfulness to Jesus and to pray and purpose to put Him first, and I went forward. It was very emotional and powerful. And it all started with you and your family and this blog :) So thank you very much for starting me on my faith journey :)

Kelly July 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Dear Cathryn,
That’s such an encouragement! Soooo happy for you! Keep up the good work and let me know when you finish the whole Bible. I have a gift for ya when you do! Love, Kelly

Lydia July 15, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Which blog entry was that? I would love to see the post for suggestions!

Cathryn July 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Wow, thank you so much Kelly! :) I’m really excited :D I’m almost up to Leviticus, so I’ve got a little bit to go :P You are so sweet :)

Val Young July 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Welcome to God’s family, Cathryn! Praying you find a great church family to encourage you on your walk!

Cathryn July 16, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Maggie July 15, 2013 at 4:27 am

How fun!!! And what a great idea!!!

Missy July 15, 2013 at 4:35 am

Great creative way to make cow costumes…hope you all enjoyed your Chick-fil-a!

Karen Ward July 15, 2013 at 5:46 am

Fabulous! My husband owns a CFA in VA and I am thrilled to see that you all took advantage of saving a few cows and enjoyed it for free! Your family is a blessing to us and we pray that you will continue to be willing to “put yourselves out there” because your light is shining bright. God bless you all!

Bethany J. July 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

That is awesome that ya’ll did cow day! My family has the tradition of doing cow day every year! Gotta’ love Chick-fil-A!

Beth Miles July 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Great idea! Wonder what they thought when they saw the “herd” of Bates coming?. .Love me some chick-fil-a!…..Love ya’ll!

Kelly July 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

They all look adorable! Thanks for the hot tip on eating at Chick-Fil-A on a budget. I think we might have to try that! :)

T. Gates July 15, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Looks like fun! I wish we had a Chick-fil-a near us! Where are the pictures of you and Gil? :)

Kelly July 15, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Dear T. Gates,
We were there too…spots and all but my phone picture quality wasn’t too good so I only used a few of the photos. Love, Kelly

sonjapetersen July 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Hello dear Bates!
I see, you really enjoyed your meals, that’s for sure! What a family friendly offer, and nice idea to be dressed like a cow. I’ve never had american food, but it looks yummy!
Kind regards from Sonja!

Val Young July 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm

That’s a great idea on the sandwiches! When we take our crew, includes 6 daycare children, we’ll go about 10:15. We can order the hash rounds or the little guys and some other breakfast items for cheaper than lunch, and the servings are large enough for them to share. Water is a must, for sure. While they play a bit, we older people will then go and order off the lunch menu. We’ll be trying Bates sandwiches next time, for sure!

Sara July 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Funny enough I live on the west coast and there is not one by us. Looks like everyone had fun dressing up. I personally only eat fast food if out with my husband and he tends to be a bigger fan of it than me. So much so our son will ask for Wendy’s chicken nuggets. Myself I avoid it as much as possible after reading Fast Food Nation. Another thing I find I feel as though I’ve been shot with a tranquilizer dart after eating fast food then I end up hungry sooner rather than later. Maybe it’s because of where I live, but I am much more prone to support local business than fast food empires with nefarious and questionable business practices.

Brenda H July 15, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Love the pictures and the way your family can enjoy a meal out and not spend a fortune!! I have 6 children- so I can appreciate looking for savings!Hope you are all well. I enjoy your blogs and keeping up with your wonderful family – you bring a smile to my face! Thank you and God Bless! Brenda H.

Nate P. July 15, 2013 at 9:41 pm

OH MY COW… lol…this is SO much fun!!! Miss yal and love you guys…blessings!
~C.T. ;)

Symphony July 16, 2013 at 12:02 am

Looks like fun! That is so cool that chick fil a does days like that!!:)
-symphony

Jeanette Gartman July 16, 2013 at 12:26 am

That’s is just so adorable!! :D

Christy July 16, 2013 at 12:30 am

I’m so glad you went!!! You guys are so cute!

Jennifer B (Australia) July 16, 2013 at 1:17 am

We could do with some deals like that here in oz. Very expensive to eat out. We let our kids choose their favourite takeaway for their birthday treat.
so lovin the ‘cow’ thing…udderly adorable!!!!

Jen B (Australia)

Lisa July 16, 2013 at 5:12 am

Chipotle does something really similar–if you come in on Halloween dressed as a farm animal, your meal is super-cheap (I don’t think free, but it was something ridiculously low, like $2 burritos) :) 2 years ago,my husband got mixed up and thought if you showed up in ANY costume you got the deal, so we came in our Halloween costumes (a prince and princess) and when they charged full price I asked about the promotion, and the cashier was super-nice and gave it to us anyway even though we weren’t dressed as cows, pigs, chickens, etc.!

Fluffles July 16, 2013 at 11:10 am

Great pics of the family and some very useful tips for eating out on a budget. We try to bring our own picnics on family days out, but sometimes the kids love the luxury of eating in a “fancy restaurant”. Of course we are all waiting to hear the next courtship announcement. Please post it soon. My daughter loves following the lives of your girls. On a different note, as one of our Summer time activities, as a family, we plan to read an entire book of the bible. Usually, we just read specific stories depending on the time of the year. What book would you recommend as a good starter book for kids aged 7 and 12,
Slán agus beannacht,
Fluffles

Kelly July 17, 2013 at 4:49 am

Dear Fluffles,
Genesis is full of familiar and exciting stories for the kids. I Kings and II Kings is as well. Acts is action packed. Little books like Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Ruth go fast, plus have many practical applications. Of course, the four Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John about the life of Christ from different perspectives is very easy, and very helpful reading! Matthew was written to the Jews and focuses on Jesus as the Messiah. Mark was written to the Romans and focuses on Jesus as servant. Luke was a physician and was written to the Gentiles and focuses on Jesus as the Son of man. John focuses on Jesus as the Son of God. Love, Kelly

Tashia July 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm

So fun!! Love how you did the outfits!!!! :)

Jennifer July 17, 2013 at 5:06 am

We enjoyed free Chick-Fil-A day too!! Of course our group was a little bit smaller. Loved your tips for eating at CFA!! Also would LOVE to hear an update on Erin and Chad!!

Blessings,
Jennifer

Kelly July 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Dear Jennifer,
Yes, I’ll work on an Erin and Chad update…. They have tons of pics!! Love, Kelly

heather byrd July 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Don’t forget to always check your receipt when you leave. Occasionally, they will give you a free chicken sandwich if you go online and fill out a survey. Also, I don’t know about your particular Chick-fil-a but mine will give you free refills of your soft drink. Sometimes I pick up breakfast and then when I finish work I stop back by the restaurant to refill my drink.

Heather Carter July 17, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Oh how fun! :) We have in the past year stopped eating out completely unless we can utilize coupons or deals like this. Love CFA- ours is always packed!

Stacy Frost July 17, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Awww how cute!! =)

Megan July 18, 2013 at 4:51 am

Soo cute! I wish we had a chick fil a here in Australia. To buy the cheapest meals at KFC here for our family of 9 (soon to be 10) it costs t least $45! If not more. Our post also reminded me of a song by tim hawkins about chick fil a. Hilarious! He sang it in front of Dan Cathy and he loved it! I agree with the bove commenter from Australia. Wish we had deals like that here too.

Deborah July 26, 2013 at 4:37 am

Hello Bates Family,

Congratulations on the new courtship in the family. Our family loved the tips on saving some money. We try to catch all the deals around town as well. We also watch this site called saverightnow.com because they usually have restaurant deals for 50% off or more + extra savings promo codes from time to time. We also drink water as much as can.

I do have a question for Kelly, does your family only play bluegrass music or do you play old time as well? Do you get involved in fiddler’s conventions or play other than just on a personal basis? My family actually doesn’t live very far from you, we’re in the Tri-Cities region. My parents have a band called The Roan Mountain Hilltoppers, you may have heard of them? They travel all over the US and were in the 1982 World’s Fair, are in the Library of Congress, have played the National Folklife Festival, along with many other venues.

Thanks for looking if you get a chance.

Kelly July 30, 2013 at 4:43 am

Dear Deborah,
Hmmm… I don’t know what to call what they play…bluegrass gospel? They’ve never gone to any conventions. They just play for fun or for ministry. I’ll have to look up your parents…sounds like they were quite impressive by that description! Love, Kelly

Julia July 26, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Ohhhh! How cute…seems like fun!

Stephanie January 16, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I was at the Chick Fil A today in Fountain City , Tennessee, and could have swore that I seen your family. I enjoy watching your family’s show and the Duggars’ show. Not sure if it was you, but I really wish I had introduced myself and ask.

Kelly January 17, 2014 at 1:38 am

Dear Stephanie,
Yes, we were there with some families from church, after our church’s skate day! Love, Kelly

Stephanie January 17, 2014 at 2:12 am

Just so you know, seeing you guys made my day!! You have a beautiful family!! You represent Christians well. May God continue to bless your family!