Lake Fun–Part 3

by Kelly on June 19, 2013

Wet and Wild at Watt’s Bar Lake for Warden’s Birthday celebration!

photo 4photo 2photo 1photo 320130608_12475620130608_17031220130608_14295720130608_15105020130608_17014520130608_14222920130608_18203820130608_18285020130608_18312020130608_18441120130608_184432

John Allen June 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm

There’s the rest of the family, except Lawson. I believe he’s the only one not pictured. I was beginning to wonder if some them are picture shy. Anyway, I’m glad that y’all had a great day together. Family is one of the greatest gifts that God has given any of us. It’s a tragedy though that not too many people realize that nowadays. God bless.

Natalie June 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Looks like FUN!!! Happy birthday Warden!:-)

John Allen June 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Yes Happy Birthday Warden!

pierrette June 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm

love all your family it a blessing .long time dont see you on picture , god bless take care pierrette

Courtney June 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Looks like ya’ll had fun!! :) Happy birthday, Warden!

Jessica June 19, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Looks like so much fun! You guys are ambitious. Do you go on a lot of outings? Do you enjoy lots of activity? I am more a home body, and I find it challenging to plan bigger activities. I know you have more older ones, just curious on your preference. I would love to hear a blurb sometime on your days with all little ones! You guys are so much fun, just love reading your updates. Take care.

Jessica

Kelly June 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Dear Jessica,
I tend to be less active, but Gil and all the kids are active and I like being involved in their lives…so… yes, we do a good bit because we let the kids plan birthdays…and there’s a lot of birthdays! they’re always walking, riding, playing ball, doing water activities, or something in their spare time. Love, Kelly

Evelyn June 19, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Love that you can waterski. I think you are amazingly fit and heatlthy for your age Kelly

Julia June 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Awww!~Fun! Happy Birthday Warden!!
Julia

Rebekah M. June 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Oh, that looks like such a wonderfully wet way to celebrate Warden’s birthday! I hope he had a wonderful time! From the look of the pictures, everyone did. Thanks for sharing about your everyday life with us.
God bless.

Rosalie June 20, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I love Carlin’s swimming suit…it looks different than the wholesomewear suits….Where did you purchase it?? So cute….

God Bless and Thank You,
Rosalie

Kelly June 21, 2013 at 5:01 am

Dear Rosalie,
Michael made it. She made Carlin, Josie & Katie new ones for this season, but the little girls were wearing hand me down ones from several years ago. The older girls had long outgrown theirs, so she’s gonna try to catch up and finish new ones for the rest. Love, Kelly

Hannah August 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm

She did a great job! I wish I had her sewing skills. Modest suits are expensive.
God bless, Hanni Banani

Ruth June 20, 2013 at 10:17 pm

From the photos, it looks like a wonderful time! Kinda off topic, but since you have 19 kids, do any of them have food allergies??? I recently found out that I have celiac disease and I am the 5th out of 8 kids…and no one else in my family has any allergies! God Bless!

Kelly June 21, 2013 at 4:59 am

Dear Ruth,
Erin had a lot of allergies when younger. She broke out in rashes all the time from strawberries or laundry soap or lotions…almost anything. Fortunately, she outgrew them all and we’ve never had anyone else with allergies. Love, Kelly

alexia June 21, 2013 at 12:10 am

did alyssa dye her hair?

Kelly June 21, 2013 at 4:57 am

Dear Alexia,
No, she doesn’t dye it but it looks darker when wet. Love, Kelly

Patty June 21, 2013 at 3:58 am

Where was Lawson? Did he get to enjoy the lake too or was he busy working or tending to the homefront?

Kelly June 21, 2013 at 4:56 am

Dear Patty,
No, Lawson didn’t get to come with us that day. Love, Kelly

Julia June 21, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Where is that lake??? Is it close by you?
Too bad Lawson missed out on the fun :-( Was he working at home?Fun Fun!
Julia

Kelly June 22, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Dear Julia,
We were at Watts Bar Lake about an hour away. We have a closer lake called Norris which is only 5 minutes from our house. We go there a lot too. Love, Kelly

Julia June 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Thanks Mrs.Bates! That sounds like fun, we are moving to Alta, CA. There is a lake close by too!
Thanks again!
Love,Julia

Kay June 22, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Look like a lot of fun:)
May God bless you,
Keila

NathaLee June 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm

We are headed to Douglas lake in a few weeks, and my husband and I decided Dandridge is where we are retiring to(or downsizing as we are far away from retiring). We love the area there and can’t wait to visit in a few short weeks. I love watching your family and reading about their adventures.

Best,

NathaLee

Pam A. June 24, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Kelly, it’s great that you had some fun waterskiing! I grew up on a lake and loved waterskiing! I think Warden made a great choice on where and how to celebrate his birthday :)

Tammi June 25, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Kelly, I noticed that your children all have life vests on. As both of my boys are lifeguards, I can’t tell you how it warms my heart to see such responsibility in parenting. Are your children swimmers? I did see a pic of someone skiing. Who of your children (and you or Gil) are skiers? I know that you hear this all too often, but thank you for your generosity in sharing your lives with the rest of us.
Tammi

Kelly June 25, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Dear Tammi,
Yes they all swim, except the little ones… but I don’t think you can be too careful at a lake with so many in the water at one time. Even good swimmers can drown, so it’s n ot worth the chance! Thanks! Gil & I both ski, and several of the older kids do as well…I mostly fall…lol! love, Kelly

Liza Jane June 26, 2013 at 1:14 am

As a lifeguard as well, I would also like to applaud the use of life jackets at a like especially on the little ones!! I noticed on one of your previous specials that Josie loves to read, I believe you said mysteries? Has she ever read Nancy Drew? I think those might be my all time favorites! I would also recommend Agatha Christie. I read both of those series as a child and loved them!!

Kelly June 26, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Dear Liza,
Yes she loves Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes. Love, Kelly

Annalee June 28, 2013 at 9:42 pm

What beautiful pictures! But that first shot is amazing! Who is the photographer of that one? Great job! :) Love it!

nohely June 29, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Mrs. Kelly, where did Carlin get her swimwear?
God Bless!

Kelly July 1, 2013 at 2:44 am

Michael sewed Carlin’s, Josie’s, and Katie’s swim outfits. Love, Kelly

Tashia July 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Looks like a lot of fun!!! Neat pictures! :)

Laura July 23, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I love Carlin’s swimsuit. I have been looking for a swimsuit like this for my daughter and myself. Does Michael ever make them for people outside of her family? If not, would she consider it? I would be willing to pay her. Please let me know if this would be possible. The suit is so cute and modest! That is very hard to find these days.
Thanks,
Laura

Kelly July 24, 2013 at 2:18 am

Dear Laura,
I’ll ask her, but in the past she hasn’t felt as comfortable sewing for adults as for children. Love, Kelly

Laura July 26, 2013 at 5:37 am

Thanks for responding to my question, Kelly, and for offering to ask Michael. I want her to do whatever she feels comfortable doing. Your family is such a wonderful example of a godly family and I admire you as a mother very much.
Thanks again,
Laura

Disa August 17, 2013 at 8:59 am

Dear Mrs. Bates,

I absolutely love your girl’s bathing suits! I myself sew like Michael and I would love to make that swimsuit that Carlin is wearing! What pattern did she use? It is beautiful work by the way! Michael truly has a talent for sewing. All of her clothes are so beautiful yet still modest! Thank you to you and your family for your ministry!

Disa :) <3

Kelly August 26, 2013 at 2:27 am

Dear Disa,
She actually didn’t use a pattern. She looked at the Duggars swimwear from Modest Swimwear and made some adjustments! Love, Kelly

Emma Fowler August 25, 2013 at 4:06 am

I love seeing Christian girls in t-shirts and shorts for swimming! I live in a river town in the Northwest, and I know that my church is the only group that has modesty when it comes to swimming. It’s so refreshing to see true Christian values!