Delays, Delays!

by Kelly on April 30, 2013

I’m so sorry for the lack of recent posts… my laptop crashed and schedules have been too busy to line up with Erin’s in order to borrow her laptop. I’m so grateful for the many comments of  concern and the many prayers for our family! Yes, we are still here and I’m trying to play catch up now! As always, thank you for your patience with this behind- the- times, non-computer- savvy mom!

Unfortunately, we tried to add some sort of plugin that would redirect spam comments, but instead it blocked all comments. When we switched back over, many pending comments were lost in computer land somewhere! So, if your comment mysteriously disappeared, I’m really sorry!

I so wanted to post and offer our condolences to the many families who suffered from the Boston Marathon bombings and the Texas plant explosion. I know this is late, but our hearts ached and we prayed for those workers and families that were in the midst of the tragedies! May God strengthen your hearts and comfort you! God bless!

Denise S. May 1, 2013 at 12:09 am

Great to hear all is okay,, well except the laptop. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Angela K May 1, 2013 at 1:40 am

I’ve missed you. Glad you are back and all is well

anonymous May 1, 2013 at 2:25 am

Sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with your blog. Spam can come in such volume that it can be monumental to sort without help. The blog I manage uses the Akismet plugin, as well as WP-reCAPTCHA. Perhaps they are different then the one you tried, and will work for you. The reCAPTCHA keeps robots away, and the Akismet filters what spam does get through. It isn’t perfect, but it to date, on the blog I manage, it has blocked thousands of comments.

Also, if you find yourself deleting comments from the same person multiple times, you can block IP addresses with WordPress itself. When you are in your dashboard, go to Settings -> Discussions, and then enter the IPs into the comment blacklist.

You can email me if you have more questions.

Keep up the good work.

Helen May 1, 2013 at 8:58 am

Thank God. I had become a little concerned when there had not been a post for a while. Glad to hear all is well. Helen from Australia :)

Marlana Ward May 1, 2013 at 11:25 am

Glad to see you all are okay! Bet the kids are really enjoying this warm weather! Mine are spending as much time as possible outside. Gardening time is coming up so our whole family will be out from daylight to dark! Hope all your computer issues are fixed soon!

Zoe May 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

Hi Bates Family
So glad to hear that everyone is doing ok. Praying for you all.
Zoe xx

Riley May 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

Hi Kelly and family
Hope you are all ok. How are Lawson and Nathan?
Riley

Kelly May 1, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Dear Riley,
They’re doing great. Nathan just finished finals. Lawson’s mowing is in full swing, but he’s working on finishing his Cd too. Love, Kelly

Beanie May 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Happy Birthday (late) to Ellie! :)
And for Erin tomorrow. :) :)

Alison May 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

It’s great to see an update! It’s good to know that y’all are doing well. :)
Blessings to you,
Alison

Hannah Stahl May 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hi Mrs. Bates!
I really enjoy your blog! How is Bible Baptist Church doing? I am praying for y’all; as a pastor’s daughter I know how hard the ministry can be. Just keep at it! :) America needs good fundamental churches that preach God’s Word, and it’s encouraging to see that God is calling people to start them. Love y’all in Christ!
Prayers~ Hannah Stahl

Evangelist John Allen May 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Amen to that Miss Hannah. We certainly do need more soul winning, IFB churches. Our country is certainly lacking those, but praise the Lord God is still in the saving business. Amen!
I too know how hard the ministry can be growing up in it and being the pastor’s son, and now right hand man, but there is nothing more rewarding. Count your many blessings!

Symphony May 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm

so true! i’m also a pastors daughter. I’m praying for your family!

Rebekah M. May 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm

So glad you all are doing all right. I’ve missed reading your posts.
God bless you all!

Kristie May 1, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Sighhhh! SO glad to see you guys and gals are back. I enjoy following your blog and the example and encouragement your are to others out there :)

Cassidy May 1, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’m so happy to hear that everything is okay!!! I was worried when I hadn’t seen any and blog posts from your family or the Paine’s in over a month. I hope all continues to go well and I would love another courtship update if you could.
-Cassidy

Meghan H. May 1, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I am so glad that you are all alright. I thought that you all might have gone somewhere, but when it was almost a month I began to worry. Please say hello to Alyssa for me. I thank God that you are all well.
God Bless You and Your Family!

Joshua Kaiser May 2, 2013 at 4:14 am

Sorry that your laptop crashed I know that is a bummer. We have had that happened a few time. Glad you are all doing okay. I think from reading the comments it’s Erin birthday tomorrow so Happy Birthday from Megan and I. Hope you all have a great day!

Joshua & Megan Kaiser

Evangelist John Allen May 2, 2013 at 2:37 pm

How’s the rest of the family doing? Praise the Lord for your blessed family.

Nancy May 2, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Dear Kelly and family,
so glad to know all are well, really missed you all. How is your church doing, i pray all is well. hope to hear more from you soon

Nancy

Ruthie May 3, 2013 at 1:02 am

Glad to hear that you and your family are doing well! :)

Evangelist John Allen May 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Happy Birthday Miss Erin!

Natalie L. May 8, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Yes, Happy Birthday Erin!!!

bethany m May 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Thank your for your lovely posts. Missed them for a while. I pray that your church is doing well and growing in the power and wisdom of our dear Savior. Someday I would love to attend one of your services and meet your lovely family. Praise be to Jesus!

Michelle May 3, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Hey, thank you for your blog. I was just wondering how do you encourage your older boys to court and how to you comfort and uplift your older girls if they don’t have any prospects of courting?

Sarah May 4, 2013 at 1:25 am

Dear Mrs. Bates and family,
Thank you so much for giving us your advice on life and helpful tips for everyday problems and dilemmas! I just recently found your blog and your family is so inspirational to me and my sisters! Thanks again and keep up the good work! We’ll be praying for you guys!

Your Sister in Christ,
Sarah

kelly jo willey May 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

so happy to see that everyone is doing well. i hope that all of the children are fine and you and gil. i hope the church is thriving and growing. we need alot more people like your family to help this country. i hope you have a blessed summer full of happiness.

Maggie May 7, 2013 at 2:53 am

I know this is off subject but how does Erin get her hair to curl so perfectly? Helpful hints please!!! :)

Kelly August 26, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Dear Maggie,
Hmm…I gave a detailed description under a comment on the engagement post, because I came to it first…sorry…but in brief, she occasionally sleeps in 8 sponge rollers. She doesn’t brush the curls, but uses her fingers to achieve the ringlet look by wrapping the hair around her finger when she takes it down. It’s fast even though it doesn’t look like it. But her hair has the advantage of holding curl well. Love, Kelly

Symphony May 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm

So glad to see another post! God bless you and your family!

Angela May 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Happy to hear you are doing ok…you are a wonderful family and I enjoy your blog.

karen May 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm

So glad to hear that all is well. Do you have any update on whether or when your show on TLC might return?

Kelly May 28, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Dear Karen,
As far as we know, there are no plans for more shows. Love, Kelly

Natalie L. May 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Sorry the lap top crashed.:-( Thanks for the post, though!:-)

Rebecca May 9, 2013 at 6:46 am

Found your site about a year ago and have been following it ever since. Miss your television show!! Any chance of a T.V. special soon? Y’all have been such an inspiration to me in my daily walk with Jesus. I look forward to reading about your family and (possible upcoming marriages) in the future!!

Rebecca

Jeanette Gartman May 10, 2013 at 2:30 am

Thank you for being so sweet! :) Amazing family

Evelyn May 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Hi

Just wondering how your college kids are doing??
How long those Erin have yet in finishing her degree?
What field of studies are Zach, Michaela and Chad working on?
I follow many blogs from wonderful families such as yours but have a hard time figuring out what people actually do for a living. Obviously they do something to make money, but most posts are about them traveling all around the globe and nothing about what they do to minister in their daily lives/jobs.
I’m very inspired by you all and have many of the same convictions as you.
We are actually praying for another baby right now, and hope that it will happen soon. My now baby is turning 2 on the 22nd so is not much of a baby anymore. The other boy is 4 and quite intruiged by everything that happens on and around the farm. By no means am I bored;)

Kelly May 28, 2013 at 11:47 pm

+Dear Evelyn,
Erin has one more semester left to earn her music degree. Zach was working on his history degree, but took a break this past year. He was busy with tree work and county commission work. Hopefully he’ll resume soon. Michael is working on her degree with College Plus in Liberal Arts. Once she gets that, she may consider doing the one year program for a nursing degree, using her bachelor’s and EMT credits. Love, Kelly

Linda May 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Hi Kelly, Happy Mother Day and also to Erin and Ellie on late Happy Birthday to them.

Carrie May 12, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Happy Mothers Day
Kelly

Brenda H May 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Happy Mother’s Day Kelly! I know it was a special day for you! God bless.
Love, Brenda H

Yvette May 13, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Hello Kelly,
I believe my comment was one of the ones that were lost in “computer land”
We absolutely love your family!! You seem so genuine, and come across as a regular American family. We love that!!! Are you all ever going to do another show?!!! We so looked forward to watching your show as a family. There are so few shows on TV these days that are good wholesome shows. Please, please do another series !! We miss the Bates family!!
It is awesome to hear from you! Many blessings to you and you family!

Nicky May 15, 2013 at 8:24 am

Is your TV show going to be coming back on?!

Kelly May 28, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Dear Nicky,
Not that we’ve heard! Love, Kelly

Rebecca J May 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm

It’s good to see you back. I missed you!!!! ;-)

lynn bates May 16, 2013 at 3:00 am

glad u guys are good

Deborah May 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm

You have such beautiful children inside and out. I was wondering how your girls keep their hair so healthy and shiny and long at the same time. I would love to grow beautiful long hair for my husband but it always ends up dry and scraggily. Would you be willing to share their hair routines? Thanks!
Deborah

Kelly May 28, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Dear Deborah,
I would share hair secrets if they had any, but we actually buy the cheap products…lol! So I guess, it comes from their dad, cause my hair is thin! Love, Kelly

Erica May 21, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I miss reading updates on your blog! Hope all is well!

Kelly May 28, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Dear Erica,
Thank you for your concern. All is well. I just need to take time to send my laptop to the shop…lol! Hopefully, I’ll get to my to do list soon! Love, Kelly

Ashley Moore May 22, 2013 at 2:25 am

Glad that you are back to blogging again. My girls and I have thoroughly enjoyed when y’all were on TV. We recorded it and still watch it. Your family is amazing!! We aspire to be just like your bunch. Thank you for sharing your story and lives with everyone.

Beanie May 23, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Happy B-day (late) to Warden! :)

Julia May 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Hi Bates!
Don’t worry about the delays-I love hearing from you! God has truly blessed your family with kind hearts.
Erin- I am 12, you are a huge inspiration to me to work hard on my piano skills. I love piano, I hope I’m as good as you someday! Congratulations to your engagement also!

Julia Hetzel

Diane Dye May 28, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Glad you are back with updates and sorry for your computer problems. For some reason I am not receiving your updates in my e-mail. Have checked spam and everything else with no luck. I can go out on the internet and bring up your webpage to get updates. Is anyone else having this problem?

Hope you are all doing well. Has Erin graduated from college? I read above where Erin is engaged. Is that so? Happy belated Mother’s Day!! Hope your kiddos did something special for you. =)

Take care!

Love, Diane

Kelly May 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Dear Diane,
Erin has one more semester. She is courting and they are making plans to move forward! It’s very exciting!Love, Kelly

Crystal May 29, 2013 at 11:30 pm

So happy to hear you are getting back to the computer world. I especially enjoy your comments and inspirational outlook on life. We do have something in common. I too graduated from the big Anderson University (College). It was a great place for me as well. Look forward to more updates and pray all is well with the Bates and the courtship with Erin.

Abigail May 30, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Hey!
I enjoy watching your family…yall are so adorable! I had a few questions. Do any of the kids naturally pair up or group up as friends? Do all the girls share a room and all the boys share a room….or do any kids have their own room or just share with one or two?
Are the kids allowed to work outside the home especially Zach or Michaela? Can your daughters wear pants if they want, or live in an apartment or have friends?
Abigail

Kelly June 7, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Dear Abigail,
Yes, because of age or personality types, they often pair up… but we encourage them to not be exclusive and to reach out to all. Erin & Carlin share a room. Alyssa & Josie share a room. The other 6 are in a super large room with bunks and trundle beds. There are 2 boys rooms with 4 in one room and 3 in the other. The 2 youngest boys don’t sleep upstairs yet. There are some spare rooms in the old portion of our house that we are currently remodeling to be used as extra bedrooms when some of the older girls decide to have more elbow room.
Yes, most of the older kids work. Zach is a county commissioner. He also works with the police, EMS, and the family tree business. Michael works as a nanny for several families. Erin teaches piano. Lawson runs a mowing company. Nathan works with the family tree business and EMS. Alyssa works occasionally at a local flower shop. Love, Kelly

Carita May 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Dear Gil and Kelly
I had a comment about the interview that Lawson(I think it was Lawson)had on ABC after walking through Central Park(at least I think it was Central Park), where she is asking about the women and men and how they are dressed(I prefer to use this description of their activity). Lawson you were awesome, what a great choice of words, “Don’t we want to change the subject?” Praise God Lawson changed the subject when he did not think it was appropriate. We Christians need to do that more often!!
God Bless you all, and by the way I miss your show.
~Carita~

Jennifer R. May 30, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I just wanted to tell you, just how encouraging you are to me. Thank you for your Godly example. As a mom of five, it encourages my heart to see your attitude with your children. I have missed all of the updates and pray that laptop gets fixed ;) . We loved the show and it’s sad to hear that it was canceled. My kids beg to re-watch episodes :) . In fact, we now have a saying around our house, ” Don’t be wild, be enthusiastic!” May God bless you and your beautiful family. Once again, thank you!
Love, Jenn R.

Denise S. May 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Welcome back Kelly and family!! Any exciting plans for this summer?? I will be down in the Smokey Mountains in August with my husbands side of the family. We are renting a big cabin. Hope to be able to drive up for your sunday service.

Julia June 1, 2013 at 4:12 am

Hi again!
I am so excited for you Erin! I hope things work out for you and Chad! He seems like a great guy. Have you picked a date for your wedding??? Just curious~
Julia Hetzel from CA~

Kelly June 3, 2013 at 4:30 am

Dear Julia,
She wishes…lol! There still praying… and saving!!! haha! Love, Kelly

John Allen June 2, 2013 at 1:26 am

Miss Bates, What exactly is wrong with your laptop? I have fixed a few laptops in my time and I would love to be able to help y’all. I live up here in Kingsport, TN, with my family. I would be honored to help in any way possible. I do love you family and I hope and pray that the Lord will bless me with one like yours one day. Let me know and God bless.

Kelly June 3, 2013 at 4:17 am

Dear John,
The little place where the charger inserts must have bent or broken, so it won’t charge now. Fortunately, Erin returned from Nashville, so I have access again! Thank you for your sweet offer, though! God bless, Kelly

John Allen June 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Mrs. Bates,
Well if there is anything I can do to help y’all just let me know. I would count it an honor to help y’all in any way possible. It is so refreshing to see another family that is like mine (by the way I mean my parents, sisters, and me; I’m only 19), when most of the ones I grew up with have turned to the world after having the same training as I did. Thank you so much for serving the Lord and standing for His Word.
I did want to invite y’all to a camp meeting that we are hoping to be able to attend this year in Greer, South Carolina. It was started by Dr Harold B. Sightler, was passed on to Billy Kelly and now my good friend Dr. Joe Arthur is the moderator. Dr David Gibbs will be preaching the last service however, it is on July 4th and I understand if y’all have family plans over the holiday. They have a free (I think it’s free) big bar-b-que after that service. If you like you can check it out at http://www.greerbaptistcampmeeting.com/. I believe y’all would truly enjoy it. If you can’t make that one I know of two others you might enjoy as well that we are a part of every summer. Thank you so much for loving God and training your wonderful family to do so as well. It has become my prayer that we’ll one day meet and I believe our families would hit it right off. God bless.

Kelly June 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Dear John,
Thank you for the invite! I’ll check our calendar! We love Joe Arthur and David Gibbs! That’s our neck of the woods where we’re both from, so it’d be a fun trip! God bless, Kelly

John Allen June 3, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Mrs. Bates,
If you can’t make that one there’s another which we attend in Princeton, WV. It’s the first full week of August. Bro Arthur preaches the last two nights every year. It has morning sessions, with a free breakfast before, where Dr Craig Edwards preaches and then preachers are called from the floor. Dr. John Smith from Teays Valley, WV preaches Monday through Wednesday night. He has become one of my favorites. One blessing about that camp meeting is they pay the hotel bill for visiting preachers and missionaries and their families, plus it’s all inside a cooled auditorium which is nice especially in the heat of August. If you would like more info just let me know and I can get you the contact numbers. This camp meeting has become our yearly getaway and we love it. Last year we were even able to spend a night on the town with Dr Joe Arthur, just us and him. Great preaching, great singing, great fun, and great fellowship. God bless.

John Allen June 3, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Sorry for the long posts. I’ve always been sort of long winded. Just last night I preached about a 50 minute sermon. I’m working on it though. God bless y’all.

Liza Jane June 7, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hey!
I just wanted to say first that yall are such an inspiration and refreshing encouragement. It is fun to watch what God is doing through your family and ministry and I am encouraged as a mama and a wife by your family. I had a few questions as far as making it all work with 19 kiddos. Do all your girls share one room and all the boys share one room? Do some of your older children work or go to college besides Erin? It would be so interesting to know how you all make it work!
Much Love,
Liza Jane

Kelly June 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Dear Liza,
The boys have 2 large bedrooms. There are spare bedrooms they are welcome to move into whenever they want a little ,ore elbow room. The girls have one super large room, plus 2 other bedrooms. Some of the girls have already moved into spare bedrooms , because they tend to be more orderly and enjoy keeping a neater room than the others.
Zach and Michael took college courses at a small community college for their EMS certification. They have continued with on-line classes and CLEP tests through College Plus. Nathan, Alyssa, and Tori have been attending Crown College where Erin goes.
Zach works with the family tree business, the police, EMS, and county commission. In the past he has also worked in construction/ framing, funeral home, and excavating. Michael works with EMS and as a nanny for several different families. Erin teaches piano lessons. Lawson runs a lawn service. Nathan works with the family tree business and with the volunteer fire department. Alyssa works occasionally with a local florist shop. She also helps with the family tree business occasionally and does the taxes and paperwork. Love, Kelly

Crystal June 8, 2013 at 7:09 am

Hi Bates! You are such a great family! I found out about you guys watching the Duggars on TV. I like to watch TV shows of people with a lot of kids because I’m an only child well not really my mom had 2 miscarriages before me. I’m 14 years old. Ever since I seen you guys in a few episodes in 19 kids and counting I have had a few questions about your family. Do you think you will have anymore kids? Do your girls wear matching dresses all the time? How long did it take to add on to your house? I hope you can answer those questions for me. I live in Washington so I hear a southern accent in all of your voices and I love it! God bless you all! Crystal from Washington state.

Kelly June 11, 2013 at 12:33 am

Dear Crystal,
We’d love more kids, but it looks like I’m getting old fast…lol! We’ll just wait and see and stay busy loving the ones God has entrusted to our care!
No, we don’t always match…usually only if we’re going somewhere to sing or if we need to stay together and be spotted easier!
It took about 3 years to totally finish the new addition. we’re not very project oriented, so we probably drug our feet a little. Love, Kelly