Tribute to a Friend

by Kelly on March 7, 2013

rose-533-18

A special friend passed away this week, Mrs. Kay Walter. We never met her in person, but she became a true friend! She corresponded through emails and texts regularly. She kept up with all of the children’s birthdays, and activities. She called them and emailed them. She encouraged us all constantly! We grew to love her like family!

She had planned a visit to meet us face to face this past October, but she cancelled to stay and care for her husband who was sick. I remember how excited the children had all been about the possibility of seeing her in person, and how sad we all were when she couldn’t come. We had planned to reschedule this year.

We received the sad news from her husband that a blood vessel burst in her brain, and she suffered a massive heart attack. We will miss her, as will her family and the many others whose lives she touched! Her funeral service will be held March 8, 2013, so we ask for prayers for her friends and loved ones!

Poem in Memory of Kay Walter

On rare occasions God may send

One who becomes a treasured friend,

One who knows how to brighten a day,

One who sends kind words your way,david-austin-pink-rose

One that says a prayer or two,

One that often encourages you,

One who also speaks their mind,

But easily forgives the faults they find,

One who calls or writes to say,

“Hope you’re having a wonderful day!”

One, when mentioned, brings you smiles,

One that is close, though across the miles.

Although we didn’t meet face to face,

Kay Walter held a special place:

A place in our heart, so very dear,

A place where memories will keep her near!

thCAC6L0S3

Marci March 8, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend. We’ll pray for her and everyone who misses her! May the Lord grant her eternal rest.

Aria March 8, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this, Kelly. I saw Kay’s comments on many occasions on this site and could tell how much she cared for you and your family. Here’s hoping that the two of you will meet up in the kingdom of heaven.

sonja petersen March 8, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Dear Bates,
I am so sorry for the lost of your friend. I will light a candle in church and say a prayer, may God welcome her soul in heaven.
Love, Sonja

Jessica March 8, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I’m so sorry to read this. She sounds really special to your family.

Annie March 8, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Wow, what a difficult time for their family. I’m sure she meant a lot to yours. I think I remember reading many comments of hers on your blog. I’ll be praying for them.
Annie

Kelly March 10, 2013 at 7:03 am

Dear Annie,
Yes, she wrote frequently. She sent many of the decorations we have in our home. She sent fabric for matching dresses. She sent birthday gifts to the children. Most of all, she encouraged us! Love, Kelly

Natalie March 8, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Mrs. Bates,
Lovely poem. I hope we can be like that someday. I am only 11, but maybe I can get to know one of your girls! Do you ever let you girls around my age talk on the phone or write letters in the mail?
Natalie

Beanie March 8, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I’m sorry.

Jaunita March 9, 2013 at 3:22 am

Sorry to hear of the loss of your unique friend. She was very much like our Lord who we know loves and cares for each one of us and gave his life up so we could live. What a friend we have in Jesus, all our pain and thoughts to bear….may he be with you now.

Natalie L. March 9, 2013 at 4:18 am

Were you able to go to here service?

Kelly March 10, 2013 at 7:01 am

Dear Natalie,
I actually checked on flights, but they were so pricey since it was last minute. I wish we had been able to meet her, but was so thankful for all of our correspondence over the last 3 years! Love, Kelly

Ali March 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Praying for all of those affected.

louise March 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm

such a shame you never got to meet her , what a beautiful poem . god bless kay x

Cora Burrows March 10, 2013 at 12:19 am

Praying for her family!!! Praise The Lord she was a encouragemen!!!!

Ruthie March 10, 2013 at 1:13 am

What a beautiful poem, who wrote it? I am sorry about the loss of this friend, peace be with you in this time.

Love,Ruthie

Kelly March 10, 2013 at 6:58 am

Dear Ruthie,
I wrote the poem the day before her funeral, after reflecting on how special she had made us feel. Love, Kelly

Alexis March 10, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I am sorry for your loss! She seemed (from comments) like a wonderful and true lady. May she rest in peace and may you rejoice in seeing her in heaven.

Love to you and your family,
Alexis

Val March 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Very sorry for the loss, but praising the Lord it’s only temporary. How wonderful to know that we all get to be together forever in eternity. We are so blessed! I have many dear friends whom I’ve only “known” through email, letter, internet, etc. It’s amazing how the Lord brings people to use just when we need them in our lives.

Pam A. March 11, 2013 at 1:17 am

I recall reading many of “Kay’s” posts here. She seem very genuine in spirit towards your family. Your tribute to her, as a person you never met, was very touching and kind.

Sunshine March 11, 2013 at 2:26 am

Dear Bates Family,

I am sorry for your lost.

Be continuely bless.

Rebekah M. March 11, 2013 at 12:50 pm

That is a beautiful tribute to a special friend. It is encouraging to remember that you don’t have to know someone face to face here on earth to be a blessing to them.
God bless!

Brenda H. March 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Dear Bates Family,
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, Kay Walter. I know from blogs she was so fond of your family! I will keep her family and friends in my prayers. She is now a special angel watching over her family and friends. Your poem is beautiful Kelly- a moving tribute to your friend. God Bless, Brenda H.

Denise S. March 12, 2013 at 11:36 pm

So sorry for your loss. I remember Kay, isn;t she the one who sent the material that made the girls red, white and blue dresses?? They were so neat!! You wrote a beautiful poem for her, she would of loved it no doubt.

Kelly March 19, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Dear Denise,
Yes, she sent us quite a bit of fabric! She was very thoughtful and very involved in keeping up communication through email! Love, Kelly

bethany m March 13, 2013 at 12:04 am

Dear Bates Family,

May God comfort you in this time of loss of a beloved friend. I have followed your blog for some time, and hope someday to meet your family myself. May He bless you in all that you do for Him!!

Annalee March 13, 2013 at 3:06 am

So sorry! What a huge disappointment not to get to meet her! I bet you will get in the next life-she sounds like a wonderful person. Easter time brings us great comfort as we contemplate the life, death, and resurrection of Christ and that he overcame death and made it possible for us to all be resurrected.

Austin Healey March 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm

So much about how you’ll miss her, though you never met her, and, so little about her husband and her family and how they’ll miss her, so much more. Maybe you can write a poem about their loss, too. Or, is this only about you?

Heather Dunn March 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Sending love and prayers to both families.
God bless!!
Xoxo

Meghan March 16, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I am very sorry for what has happened. May God bless her and may she rest in peace.
Meghan

Juanita March 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, I read her posts in previous blogs and was very blessed. Praying for you, and for her family.

#1batesfan! March 20, 2013 at 4:00 am

I’m so sorry to hear this. She seemed like a real sweet lady. I was wondering the same thing as Natalie up there. Are your girls allowed to write letters and such? My sister and I would love to write Alyssa and Tori!

Kelly March 25, 2013 at 7:41 am

You’re welcome to write them. Not many of them have a lot of free time to write back, especially the ones taking college courses. But I’m sure they’d love to hear from you. Love, Kelly

Kari March 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. Love and prayers to both her family and yours!