Hot Fudge Cake

by Kelly on February 23, 2013

20130223_221327

Usually several children at birthday time request Aunt Kay’s hot fudge cake. My sister Kay has spoiled us through the years with her professional cake baking skills, but she lives in Chattanooga (about 1 1/2 hrs. away), so she can’t make it to every birthday!

Now if Kay had been here, these photos would look a lot fancier, with whip cream,  a cherry, and20130223_221245 a non-lopsided cake…lol! My girls like to make things look fancy too, but I’m usually in a hurry! Since this was a boy’s party, I figured we’d skip the frills and just get to the eating! Kay uses a home made chocolate cake recipe… but with my busy schedule, I usually opt for the boxed mixes, even if they’re not as good!

Hot Fudge Sauce

1c.butter

1/2c.unsweetened cocoa

4c.sugar

2-5oz.cans evaporated milk

2tsp.vanilla

Combine butter, sugar, cocoa, and milk in a saucepan over med. heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Cook and stir for 1 min. until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate leftovers. Yields: 4 cups.

Bake chocolate cake. Cool completely. Slice cake in 3”.  in squares, then slice squares in horizontal halves. Use vanilla ice cream in a cardboard container, so that it will be easy to cut ice cream in squares to place between cake halves. Top with warm fudge, whip cream, and a cherry!

Lisa February 24, 2013 at 6:51 am

That cake look SUPER yummy :) (Here on the west coast we called it “whipped cream.” )

Piper February 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Lol–my 7yo looked over my shoulder, spotted the cake, and immediately declared that today would be a great day for cake and asked if we could make one :p

Lea February 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Boys really are not picky about the looks… mine barely saw the cake before it was woofed down! LOL.. It sounds delicious , we’re going to have to try it!

Kimberly February 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Sounds so yummy. Every Sunday my in laws come over for dinner and this would be an awesome treat for after dinner. We try and get together once a week because family is important to us as well. Thank you for the recipe I know my girls will enjoy making it. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Jessy February 24, 2013 at 9:56 pm

that looks delicious! *want*

Rebekah M. February 24, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Wow! That looks and sounds super delicious! I think we’re going to have to try it sometime. :)
Thanks for blessing me and so many others by sharing your life with us. May the Lord bless each one of you!

Donna Jones February 25, 2013 at 12:04 am

Mmmm! Who cares what it looks like. The most wonderful cakes I have made didn’t always look so pretty. Thanks for the update. Donna

Annie February 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

What a treat! Thanks for sharing. Your sister must be a blessing. I love learning new recipes!

sonja petersen February 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm

it looks yummy! Well done and a happy birthday! time really flys, jackson is looking so grown up here. greetings and love to all of you!

Heather Ludlam February 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Yumm! What a blessing it is to have a Mom make their day so special even from a boxed cake mix:-) What a blessing Kelly you are to those sweet gifts of God!

Beanie February 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Mmm mmm! Looks great! :)

Marlana Ward February 26, 2013 at 5:34 pm

What perfect timing! My hubbie was asking me today if I had a recipe for hot fudge to pour over the brownies I’m making today. I am making some cornbread to go along with our soup beans and always try to bake a dessert to make use of the oven being on! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Ruthie February 27, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Looks delicious! Happy Birthday to Trace and Jeb! Also happy birthday to any other Feb. birthday kids!

Katie March 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I just wanted to say how much I admire your family. Your strong Christian convictions really inspire me. You can tell your family has the inner Joy that comes from Jesus Christ. Would you ever consider writing a book about your family? I would love to know how you made it from 2 to 21. Blessings!

Brenda H. March 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Looks so good! :)

Meghan March 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Hello,
I was wondering where you buy all of the dresses and skirts for your girls. We have a very hard time finding skirts and dresses for our family.
God Bless You!

Kelly March 3, 2013 at 2:45 am

Dear Meghan,
Michael sews a lot for the younger girls. We also shop at children’s consignment stores and thrift stores. The older girls sometimes find modest skirts at Catos or Penneys. Love, Kelly

kelly jo willey March 3, 2013 at 11:35 am

the cake looked very deliscious. we have had alot of birthdays recently at our house as well. we have a few more coming so i will have to try it. thank you for sharing your lives with us. your family is such a blessing.

Jeanette Gartman March 5, 2013 at 2:40 am

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I’m sure the kids are soooo happy when they get Aunt Kay’s Cake! lol they are so cute! :p

Wendy March 14, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Oh yum!!! That cake looks delicious!!!

Your family is so precious! We so enjoyed meeting some of your children for lunch when they visited SC. We were listening to Erin’s CD “Down Home Gospel” and my children wanted me to look up your website. Now, I am going to have to make your fabulous chocolate cake soon! Not that I mind. . . . . . :)

Sarah April 15, 2013 at 1:21 am

Oh, this cake looks delicious Mrs. Bates! Thank you for the recipe and I can’t wait to make it for my family!

Alisa September 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I saw this cake on the last 19 kids and counting episode where they visit the Bates, and decided I must have one;)

Kari October 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Yum! I was looking for this recipe after seeing you on 19 kids and counting the other night! It was such a treat to see you all! My husband and I miss your show! Thank you for keeping up with your blog so we can still see your sweet family. You and Gil and your whole family are such an inspiration to us!