Washington DC

by Kelly on February 11, 2013

photo (8)

Several of our children loaded up the van with someDCtrip 2013 373 extra friends and headed to Washington DC for Congressman Daniel Webster’s inauguration. They were grateful for the Webster’s invitation to participate in such an incredible weekend!

While there, they were able to attend a special tour of the Capitol given by our favorite historian, David Barton (http://www.wallbuilders.com/). They also visited several famous tourist atIMG959747tractions and museums.

They met up with a good friend of ours, Tony Owens, who was on the wrestling team with Gil at Carson Newman College. “The Big O” gave them a special tour of the Pentagon (Which was, by far, the most fascinating of all the activities!)

DCtrip 2013 162 DCtrip 2013 215

DCtrip 2013 302

DCtrip 2013 392DCtrip 2013 351DCtrip 2013 385DCtrip 2013 222DCtrip 2013 464DCtrip 2013 334

DCtrip 2013 376

DCtrip 2013 463

DCtrip 2013 332photo (5)photo (3)photoDCtrip 2013 012DCtrip 2013 466

DCtrip 2013 475

Susan February 12, 2013 at 3:46 am

How exciting! It is such a beautiful city, and it looks like they had fun! :)

Ruthie February 12, 2013 at 4:01 am

Wow! What a fun adventure!

David I February 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I wish I knew they were coming to DC, looks like they were just a few blocks away from where I work. Best wishes to you all.

Shana Lovise February 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm

It’s wonderful that they were able to get a Capitol tour from David’s unique perspective! How did they schedule it? I really hope to have that opportunity some day! Have any of your children taken a particular interest in history?

God’s Peace!
Shana Lovise

Kelly February 24, 2013 at 4:46 am

Dear Shana,
I’m not sure who arranged the tour, but they said it was fascinating! Yes, quite a few of them love history… especially Zach, Michael, Lawson, and Alyssa! Some of them struggle with history! Love, Kelly

Alison February 13, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Dear Bates Family,
I was just wondering what each of the older kids who are in college are studying? Y’all have been a huge blessing in my life and have inspired me deeply in my walk with the Lord! Keep the faith and finish strong.
Love in Jesus,
Alison

Kelly February 24, 2013 at 4:35 am

Alison,
Zach had been working on a history degree, but took a short break while handling so many irons in the fire with commissioner work, police and fire dept., and the tree business. He plans to resume next semester. Michael also took a break while working full time as a nanny. Erin has 2 semesters left for her music major. Nathan is taking preaching classes. Alyssa and Tori are finishing their senior high school year, while doing the new dual-enrollment college program. They are taking general classes like history, music theory, Bible classes, etc. Love, Kelly

Christy from Florida February 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Very cool. What an opertunity. What John-David just there or hangining with you guys and went along?

Kelly February 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Dear Christy,
John drove down with a few friends to go with our crew. They had a great time! Love, Kelly

Nate February 13, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Wow!!! What a BLAST!!!!!!! :D I love the pictures! Thank you for posting! Love you guys and am praying for you daily! :’)

C.T. ;)

Natalie February 13, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Does you Carlin look at the Duggars blog? A girl said her best friend is joy and i wanted to know if it was her. Thank you!

Natasha February 13, 2013 at 11:58 pm

What an exciting trip! If you don’t mind me asking, how were you able to manage the little ones with the older ones being away? You must have had your hands full!

Kelly February 15, 2013 at 5:30 am

Dear Natasha,
The younger kids actually love a chance to show off their “skills” when the older ones are gone, although the siblings are missed! I don’t mind the work…in fact, it keeps me on my toes and gives us some quality time! Love. Kelly

JenniferL February 14, 2013 at 2:31 am

What a great opportunity for the older kids! I’m sure they learned a lot.

Natalie L. February 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Happy I Love You Day Bates!

Denise February 15, 2013 at 1:03 am

Happy Valentines Day to the whole family. Did you guys celebrate it with the whole family with dinner, like you did last year?? Looks like the kids had fun in Washington.

Kelly February 15, 2013 at 5:28 am

Dear Denise,
Our “I Love You” party and gift exchange is planned for Saturday… We’ll be shopping on Friday. This year they kept the names they drew anonymous to add some fun! Tonight (Valentine’s Day), Gil took all the girls on a date night to Cracker Barrell and gave them all a small gift! The boys had a basketball/movie night at home, while we were being pampered! Love, Kelly

Denise February 16, 2013 at 2:54 am

Thanks for replying back Kelly, I hope you have a great “I Love You” party tommorrow night. How exciting not to know who has your name..Sounds like a wonderful time at Cracker Barrel last night..hope it was not too busy. Gil is a wonderful dad and husband.. when the time comes no doubt a super grandpa.

Natalie February 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm

WOW! Today is I Love You Day!

Amy February 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

I have only ever seen you guys on t.v , media photos or on your family blog ( which has been a blessing in more ways than one by the way, thank you) :-) :-) and I just wanted to say all your girls are just stunning on the outside as well as in !!!!! Michael looks like she always has the holy spirit just shining out of her and is just beautiful. I have four little boys and pray that one day we will have a daughter, if we ever do I shall be directing them to your website for some encouragement that’s for sure :-) god bless :-) :-)

Beanie February 16, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Looks like fun! :) I went to DC once, it was great!

Annalee February 18, 2013 at 2:20 am

Wow! What a neat experience to have!

David Waun February 21, 2013 at 4:55 am

We would like to welcome you to Michiana Baptist Camp Meeting fun food and powerful preaching we hope to see you there

Shannon February 21, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Looks like a great trip! Wonderful news about Erin. Best wishes to her! I see John Duggar in these photos but no other Duggars. Could it be another courtship announcement is the works? :)

Denise February 24, 2013 at 3:12 am

I was wondering that too..hope so:)

Piper February 23, 2013 at 12:32 am

We went to DC for the first (and hopefully not last!) time two years ago while I was pregnant with our youngest. It was a lot of fun but exhausting! I would love to go back when the kids are old enough to walk a lot and I am not waddling :p So much to see and do. Looks like they had a great time :)

And I’ll bet The Littles had a ton of fun playing big kids for a few days :p I know my little guy loves it when his big brother is gone and he gets to be my big helper ;)

T. Gates February 23, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I know this is completely unrelated to this post, but I figured this would be the best and quickest way to contact you. We are considering allowing our oldest three children (ages 8, 6, and 5) to take violin lessons. I’m completly clueless as to what kinds of violins I would need to buy for them and where to find the best price. We don’t want to put a lot of money into this not knowing how interested they are going to be! :) Thanks for your help!

Kelly February 24, 2013 at 4:28 am

Dear T. Gates,
Wow! That’s a hard question to answer here. It is so easy to get taken advantage of when buying violins, if you don’t know what to look for. There are cheaply made ones that won’t hold a tune or that will break if you attempt to tune them!Look inside at where it was made, and be careful of counterfeits. If its European or American, its probably great. Ask a local music teacher to help you. We have bought from http://www.artleyviolins.com/, pawnshops, craigslist, and on-line. We usually have someone that knows what to look for help us! We usually try to find them for under $100 for beginners, but some of the older girls have much more expensive ones. Instruments can be very pricey, if they’re quality. If you take good care of them, they usually hold their resale value, or in some cases, become more valuable. So you shouldn’t have a problem selling them if they lose interest. There are also rental programs, but we’d prefer to buy and resale. Love, Kelly

T. Gates February 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thank you so much! I’ve found a vetern violin teacher that has some that people have bought and lost interest with. I’m hoping this turns out to be a good avenue to go down! What age do your children start with lessons? We are considering our 8, 6, and 5 year olds. Thanks again!

Kelly February 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Dear T. Gates,
We start ours in piano s soon as they can read well and show responsibility to practice. They don’t pursue other instruments until they have completed atleast 2 years of piano, just because it lays the groundwork for sightreading and theory really well. We have friends that begin violin early and are very advanced. Most of ours that play violin have just played around with it for fun, but have not been very serious about it. Love, Kelly

T. Gates February 27, 2013 at 2:54 am

Thank you! Music can be such a blessing to people. I would love to see all of our children develope interests in it, wheter it be playing, singing, or both. Please pray that we will be able to accomplish something for God through this! Blessing to you!

Kate February 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Hi Mrs Bates

You wont remember me I wrote to you last year. My sister and her husband lost their baby at 24 weeks gestation in Dec 2011. The advice and support you gave was wonderful. They then were blessed with a pregnancy of identical twin girls in June last year. The girls were due to be born on 15th February this year but they had other ideas being born at 23 weeks and 5 days on the 24th October last year!
these precious miracles from God have now safely arrived home they are both doing so well and at this stage there are no health concerns for either baby girl :) God is so good. We would truly appreciate if your family could pray for Hazel and Mya and their ongoing health. We pray the Lord will use these girls to do great things :)

We hope your family is doing well.

Lots of love
Kate from Australia.

Kelly February 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Dear Kate,
What wonderful news! I’m so happy to hear this update! May God bless their growing family :) Love, Kelly

Kelly February 27, 2013 at 7:57 am

Dear T. Gates,
Like anything, it takes work… so remember that no matter how excited they are at first, there will come a time where they grow weary of the practice and hard work. For us, I set the rules ahead of time, so they wouldn’t give up. For instance, “If you start this, we’re behind you, but it involves a lot of time and money. We’re willing to make that commitment, if you’re willing to commit that once you start, you will stick with it for _____ amount of time.” Love, Kelly