Hawaii: Part 2

by Kelly on February 4, 2013

20121212_084949

Beautiful Waimea Canyon (“The Grand Canyon of Hawaii”) on the island of Kauai20121212_104805

20121212_105224

20121212_090014

20121212_112639

The Unforgettable Napali Coast on the island of Kauai (One of my favorite tourist places!)

20121212_11364920121213_200929

A romantic dinner served to us by the Kaneshiro family on the island of Molokai (The goblets contain juice, in case you’re wondering)

20121214_203125

With no major stores, just 4 mom & pop restaurants, and no “city life,” we had the island of Molokai practically to ourselves! It has 8000 residents and miles of deserted beaches! With only one gas station, prices are high… but well worth it for the privacy! The motto on Molokai is, “If you’re in a hurry, you’re on the wrong island!” … and with most speed limits at 35mph, they mean it!20121212_094514

20121214_125613

From rocky beaches to sandy white stretches to huge cliffs with towering waterfalls, Hawaii was the most gorgeous place I’ve ever been!

20121214_13114820121214_131832

20121214_145921My very favorite tourist attraction was the unforgettable drive 20121214_130919to Halawa Valley, on the island of Molokai, along side of a curvy single lane road that winds beside ocean and mountains, then dead ends into an incredible view of the Pacific Ocean. 20121214_160327

20121214_14042920121214_13321220121214_13090620121214_14454620121216_130545

Sunny Popohaku Beach on Molokai is 3 miles of white sand, empty beaches20121217_144636

20121216_12441820121216_173813

Beanie February 5, 2013 at 2:41 am

How awesome! :)

elena February 5, 2013 at 2:49 am

Hi Kelly and Gil.

Hawaii looks amazing and after 25 joyful years together you both deserve it. You both look happy and in LOVE. I too am celebrating my 25th next August.

Gob Bless

Nate P. February 5, 2013 at 2:53 am

WOW… the word A.W.E.S.O.M.E. comes to mind…God is SO good!!! Thanks for posting!!! Yal are in my thoughts and prayers! Blessings…

~C.T. ;)

Kirsty February 5, 2013 at 5:26 am

Beautiful!

Megan Kaiser February 5, 2013 at 7:34 am

So beautiful!!!!! :D

Donna February 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm

You are both so youthful looking, after 25 years married and 19 children. You obviously are keeping each other very happy and healthy. You look like a couple of 30 year olds. Wow!! We just had our 25th Anniversary as well, and we’re not quite as good looking as you guys, lol, and we’ve only had 3 children. Congratulations to you. God Bless.

Alexis February 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Thank you for the beautiful testament of marriage you and Gil share with us all. So happy you got a wonderful vacation!!!

Yours,
Alexis

Rudy Tecat February 6, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Of course, Moloka’i was the site of a leper colony, and where the Belgian Catholic priest Father Damien ministered to the lepers for about 35 years before dying from the disease himself. He’s now recognized as a Catholic Saint.

kelly jo willey February 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm

the pictures are just beautiful. i hope you had a wonderful anniversary . me and my husband will be married 25 years on april 9th. i enjoy your updates and wish y our family numerous blessings.
GOD BLESS
KELLY JO

Heather Dunn February 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hi Bates family!!
Congrats to Erin and Chad. How exciting!! I’m sure everyone is thrilled. Bless them on their journey.
Also, happy 25th anniversary!! What a wonderful example you are setting!!!!
Finally, i have to thank you Kelly for your wonderful words of encouragment. A few months ago you told me to ask the Lord for his guidance in weather or not to pursue infertility treatments/ adoption even though it was not something my husband felt was for us. I laid this on the Lord and be told me to open a daycare!!! As i type this, i have the sweetest baby sleeping in my arms and the joyful sounds of children fill my home now. Thank you Kelly. You are a wonderful woman and a great example. Huge hugs to you!!!

Allison DeBartolis February 7, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Gil & Kelly,

Please tell me you went swimming in the that glorious ocean!!!

Or did you dare to try surfing?!
How very special to be away alone together to re-new your love for one another.

God Bless
Allison

Kelly February 7, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Dear Allison,
Actually, we didn’t swim. I read too many warnings about the strong winter currents! We waded and felt how strong the pull was, and it was enough to convince us!! Elijah’s family thought nothing of it, though! They’re pros! Elijah even demonstrated kite surfing for us! Love, Kelly

Angela February 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Congratulations!!! So happy for you that you were able to celebrate in such a beautiful place….very nice pics….

Helen February 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hi Kelly and Gil, thank you for posting lovely pictures of your special trip. My hubby and I celebrated our 25th last year, it is a special milestone. I don’t know if you and Gil realize just how far your ministry is reaching around the world and the untold good you are facilitating. May God hold you in the palm of his hands and bless you for showing people you can live a life dedicated to the Lord and have fun!!!!
Helen – Australia

Mary Lowe February 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

congratulations

Denise February 9, 2013 at 3:03 am

Congratulations on 25 years!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of your trip.. I would love to visit Hawaii someday.. 25 more years+ to you and Gil.

Fiona Walker February 9, 2013 at 6:43 am

Wow the food looks great! Was it raw or cooked?
A big congrats on your anniversary, I,ve been to The places you visited as well, they are truely beautiful.

Love and blessings, Fiona

Kelly February 12, 2013 at 3:41 am

Dear Fiona,
The food was cookede, except for some raw veggies! Love, Kelly

Piper February 9, 2013 at 7:14 pm

What a beautiful place :) it must have been lovely to get the chance to reconnect in such a gorgeous and peaceful place

Rebekah@Greyson14 February 10, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Looks like you had a truly amazing time!!! Hawaii is so beautiful, you were so blessed to be given the chance to go there. And congratulations on 25 years being able to have the chance to spend the last 25 years of your lives together! I pray Chad and Erin will be as happy 25 years from their wedding day as you are now.

God bless you all!
Lots of love to all the family!

Rebekah Greyson

JAC February 10, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Congratulations, Mr. & Mrs. Bates, on a quarter-century of marriage! What are your top pieces of 5 marriage advice?

Kelly February 12, 2013 at 3:39 am

Dear JAC,
1. COMMUNICATE daily (Watch your words & tones)
2. FORGIVE always
3. HUG & KISS often
4. MAKE A COVENANT with your eyes & heart for purity & loyalty
5. WATCH the Basic Seminar(Bill Gothard), the Financial Freedom Seminar(Jim Sammons), and From Hero to Zero Seminar (Chris Hogan)
Love, Kelly

Christy from Florida February 11, 2013 at 1:45 am

Happy happy anniversary to such a sweet couple!! (ps our friends won’t be able to make it to your church. I guess they are over an hour away:(

lisa m February 11, 2013 at 5:21 pm

congratulations and Happy Anniversary I’m so happy to see you both enjoying yourself you both deserve it. The pictures are beautiful. Many more Happy anniversaries together. Love always lisa from CT.

Mitzi Borum February 11, 2013 at 11:37 pm

My husband took me to Hawaii for our 25th as well. I have some of the same pictures. You are right! It was a dream come true but ohhhh how I wanted to go to Molokai. Maybe someday. I was sad that there was so much crime in Hawaii. There were certain places where we really had to watch out. There were a lot of drugs. I wouldn’t want to live there. I’m glad God blessed you with such a wonderful romantic trip!

Kelly February 12, 2013 at 3:34 am

Dear Mitzi,
Too bad you couldn’t go to Molokai. The drug and crime problem was very low, because of the small population. Love, Kelly

Tara G. February 12, 2013 at 12:43 am

We were stationed in AK and my husband had arranged a surprise 1st anniversary trip to Hawaii since it is cheaper and quicker to fly from there. He had to tell me about it since he didn’t know if we’d end up going due to 9/11. The guys in the squadron told him he was setting the bar way too high for this first anniversary trip as he’d have a hard time out-doing himself! We did end up going and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Rejoicing with you over 25 years, a great legacy, and the blessing of some alone time in a beautiful place! Congratulations!

tammy February 12, 2013 at 2:08 am

hey kelly and family
our daughter had their baby. he weighed 8lbs 14 oz. he has black hair like his mother, alot of it. God gave you and Gil a blessed trip to Hawaii. I’ve always wanted to go there . I” m afraid to fly over the ocean. I’m sure it’s beautiful there. That’s great about Erin and her boyfriend. Hope church is going well. Call, write, or e-mail me anytime . God Bless, Tammy

Nan February 15, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I was just watching an episode of your show this morning and thinking about how inspired I have been by your family. In the past few years of watching you and the Duggars on TV, I have come to know God in a whole new way. I am learning to trust Him with my concerns and I am beginning to really feel Jesus’ presence in my life. Thank you for the ministry you do. I’m sorry your show will no longer be on the air…I so appreciated watching your humble, beautiful family.
Nan

Annalee February 18, 2013 at 2:19 am

Love the pictures! You are such a sweet couple:)

JenT February 18, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Gil and Kelly – first of all happy anniversary “late”. That is the most amazing trip and I am sooooo glad you two got to go! Hawaii is very beautiful. It looks like you had an amazing time! Again, so happy for you two!