National March for Life Day

by Kelly on January 25, 2013

220px-Roger_Taney_-_Healy

200px-DredScott  We were greatly touched by a message presented by Pastor Sam Polson. He showed 5 pictures, explaining each. The first two were photos of Chief Justice Roger Taney and Dred Scott. Dred Scott was a slave whose master moved into free territory where they resided several years. Dred Scott pleaded for freedom, since he had lived in free territory. Chief Justice Taney, however, with great prejudice, sadly ruled that Dred Scmartinott shouldn’t have rights and shouldn’t be treated as a human. The next photo shown was a photo of Martin Luther King, Jr., a preacher who appealed to the masses to peacefully protest the unjust treatment of African Americans.

The celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day that occurred this past Monday, was an un220px-Justice_Blackmun_Officialcanny reminder of the need to voice  the right to life that God has given all men. The next photo was of Chief Justice Harry Blackmun who wrote the decision to legalize the killingnilsson_rm_photo_of_20_week_fetus of millions of unborn babies. The last photo is a startling image of an unborn baby, which clearly shows the unmistakable fact that this is a human life who has had all rights sadly taken away, much like the rulings in the Dred Scott case.

Pastor Polson called his 24 year old daughter to join in him20130120_143753 on stage as he tearfully and joyfully described how just 24 1/2 years earlier, the mother of that girl went to an abortion clinic intending to end the tiny life that wriggled inside of her. Instead, someone lovingly explained to her that this small child was formed in the image of God and that God had a special plan and purpose for this child. The Polsons adopted this baby after the mother decided to choose life… now 24 years later, the Polsons are rejoicing over this gift of life that began their family!20130120_151629

20130120_150603-1

20130120_15140720130120_15165920130120_151315-1-120130120_151838

20130120_151911

20130120_151720

20130120_15212820130120_150454-1

Kirsty January 26, 2013 at 6:09 am

How lovely to see that girl wasn’t aborted.

brittani January 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm

how tall is carlin now, it almost look like she almost getting to alyssa’s height

Rudy Tecat January 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm

“Dred” Scott, not “Dread” Scott.

Kelly January 27, 2013 at 3:53 am

Thanks for the spelling help. My fingers were working faster than my mind and I was thinking of the word, not the name! Love, Kelly

Rebekah@Greyson14 January 26, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I have only discovered your blog recently, and it is touching to hear how your family is so alike to mine. We to do not support abortion, even though at one time I considered having one due to being raped. I definitely believe now I was right to let the Lord lead me on a different path and I love my daughters, who I would have murdered, so much and am grateful I was given the chance to meet them. As not only would I have regretted it for the rest of my life, I would never have met my now husband who supported me throughout the pregnancy, loves the twins like they were biologically his and taught me how to trust and love again with the help of God.
I wish I could tell every girl/woman out there that even though that day will always be the darkest day of your life, I am certain that if they go through with a abortion, they will go through many more!

Love to you all and God bless you,

The Greyson’s

Sarah January 26, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I’m very glad that your family and the Duggar’s are both helping to fighting against abortions! We need more families like your’s to show people that children are a blessing from God!

God bless you all! –I enjoy the updates from your family!

Sarah

P.S. your time with the Duggar’s also looked like lots of fun!

WENDY January 26, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful life story of Pastor Polson’s daughter. Praise the Lord of heaven and earth that she is alive today. Oh how loving, merciful and kind is our Lord Jesus Christ. My husband and I mourn all those precious little ones that are killed. We pray to the Lord about it continuously. The only comfort is that all those little ones went straight to be with Jesus and are singing around His throne You have encouraged me to want to seek the Lord about what we can do to tell others. Thank you
Isaiah 44:24
Thus saith the Lord, thy redeemer, and He that formed thee from the womb, I am the Lord that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself.
The Lord is using you in a mighty way to glorify Him. Keep up the good work.
In Christ,
Wendy

Kerry January 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I have three children two girls and a boy! After I had my girls we tried and tried for another sweet baby! I found out I could no longer get pregnant. I was devastated!! I felt so sure another spirit was waiting to come to us. After seven long years through circumstances that we could see the hand of our Lord in, we adopted our little boy at one day old. He is now 10 and we are so blessed with all our children!!! I loved seeing this post about how we should save the lives of these sweet unborn children. Thank you for all you do.

Nate P. January 28, 2013 at 2:33 am

PTL!!! I was able to do the same here in Little Rock Arkansas!!! :D The pictures are great, thanks SO much for posting!!!

Love Yal,
C.T. ;)

Tonya January 28, 2013 at 3:19 am

If anyone would like to read a blog from a woman who is so strong in her mission to stop abortion I suggest you check her out at A 2nd Generation of Homeschooling. This woman opened my eyes and gave me a passion against abortion!!! Even though her work seems small, even One life saved is amazing!!

Allison January 28, 2013 at 5:20 am

My daughter Emily, Her boyfriend, and I went on the March in Washington with our church St. Faustina, Nanticoke, Pa.
I am amazed at all the people of all walks of life come together for the greatest cause of all in my oppinion.
I love the Bates family!!! Just had to add that

Beanie January 28, 2013 at 1:49 pm

By the way! A late Happy Birthday to Michael! She’s really sweet, Mrs.Kelly, and y’all are blessed to have her. :D

Christy from Florida January 29, 2013 at 2:21 am

This has been so strong on my heart the last week or so. Way to go for standing up. Matt 18: 10 rocked me when I read it a few days ago. God send a revival.

david January 29, 2013 at 4:35 am

We love to invite you to are church Camp Meeting coming up in may. Michiana Baptist Camp meeting We would love to see you there. Here is a link to are videos of are Camp Meeting we hope you enjoy http://www.ustream.michianabaptist church//

Ellen January 29, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I do support the right to have a choice at the same time I value the life of babies who can live a happy and fulfilling life and I think that that needs protection as well. There is a middle ground in this discussion and I feel that this middle ground is lost in this discussion:
1. there is a difference between the life of an unborn baby and the life of a human being. An unborn baby who is less than 22 weeks old, can not live outside the mother’s womb independently: it will die outside the mothers womb even if it got the best medical care provided and the most caring and loving mother on earth. We all sense this difference and won’t doubt that difference either. We can see this because we call it a miscarriage and not a stillborn when the baby dies in the womb in the first 20 weeks of the pregnancy. It is the time of the pregnancy in which doctors will choose the life of the mother over the life of the unborn baby in the case of a life threatening emergency or complication.
2. there are more reasons for a woman to have an abortion than the fact that they don’t want the child (this to me is not a reason for abortion because the child can be adopted). There can be medical problems and a pregnancy can be a danger to the mother’s health. As we have seen in Ireland (a country in which abortions are forbidden) that the right of the life for the unborn was so important that the pregnant woman died due to the complications and the baby died with her. This is equally as sad as the death of a unborn baby.
3. Because doctors have so many abilities these days, they can help people survive who are in very critical conditions. The big question is whether or not the person who lives this life, is happy, does not have pain. We don’t know if a human being who is physically and mentally handicapped and who is not able to function independently or who can not do any activity at all, is happy. It fully depends on the individual situation. A baby who has a disease which will cost terrible pain on a daily basis, is definitely not happy. The doctors can make him or her survive but to what cost? This is the ultimate question that the parents and the doctors have to answer: that to me is their right of choice. This is not an egoistic choice (do I want to take of this baby?) but a loving and caring choice (is the life that this baby is going to live, bearable?).
4. Every situation is different and needs different care. To say that every abortion is illegal, will also stop the abortions due to medical reasons (the health of the mother, complications during the pregnancy, health complications for the baby which will cause terrible pain or diseases that will make the baby suffer and will end the baby’s life slowly bur progressively) To say that every woman has the right to choose, will also end the life of healthy and happy babies. To say that abortion is like the Holocaust, does not do justice to the difficult decision that some parents have to make and does not do justice to the nuanced arguments to make in favour of abortion.

Kelly February 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Dear Ellen,
We’ll have to agree to dissagree! First, you said, “A baby who is less than 22 weeks old cannot survive outside the mother’s womb independently.” But let me remind you, a full term baby born in perfect health cannot survive outside the womb independently. He/she must be cared for and nurtured. Does that make his/ her life less valuable because of the need for care and time to grow??
You also say, ” The big question is whether or not the person who lives this life is happy or does not have pain.” The problem is, your perspective just might not be their perspective. So who should decide if they’ll be happy and should have a chance for life?? You may look at the disabled person’s life and assume they’re miserable, but they may feel very differently.
If Joni Eareckson Tada’s family had known she would be quadriplegic in life, and had assumed her life would be less valuable as a result…Imagine: what if they had chosen to abort her based on those false assumptions?? I dare say, Christianity and many lives would have missed out on aa powerful blessing of one incredible person’s life!! She learned to turn tragedy to triumph, and uses all of her time and energy to encourage and invest in the lives of others. Is she in pain??…Oh yes!! Do you think she wishes her life would have been snuffed out because of that? Well, by her own testimony, she claims differently! I encourage you to look up her story… and many others like her, whose life DID count for something, even though critics might have thought otherwise. (http://www.joniandfriends.org/) Love, Kelly

Aaron Hempfel January 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I think your daughter’s name is spelled “Carlin” not “Caarlin” (see the photo with Courtney and Josie)

Kelly February 1, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Dear Aaron,
Thanks…Yes, it is Carlin! One “A”. My “A” button has fallen off my laptop keyboard, so when I press that space, sometimes it doubles the letter! Love, Kelly

Ellen January 30, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Dear Mrs Bates,
I am very sorry if I have hurt your feelings with my last comment or if I have said anything that you feel is inappropriate for this website. I really did not mean to do that and I apologize if I did. I have tried to express my opinion (which is a different opinion than your family has) in a balanced and nuanced way and still try to give an argumentation for my opinion. I do respect the opinion or world view of others and I never want to hurt someone.
Kind regards, Ellen

Kelly February 1, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Dear Ellen,
Oh thank you for your patience in my response to your post. I wasn’t offended… I might dissagree, but you are free to support your beliefs. I am just slow in responding to some comments, just because they do take more time to answer. Thank you for your sweet spirit of understanding. Love, Kelly

Sandra January 31, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Thank you for your encouraging blog! We have also been able to volunteer at different pro-life events in our area. We are a homeschooling family and we live near Vancouver BC, Canada. It turns out that my husband and two children are driving through the Appalachians right now in Georgia (I’m getting picture updates) for the first time on their way to the Creation Museum in Cincinnati. You have a beautiful part of the country!

Christy from Florida January 31, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Hey Kelly. Tried to email with the email link on the contact page but it didn’t work. We have some friends that are looking for a church up your way but I couldn’t find the address. I have the times you meet. Thanks so much :)

Kelly February 1, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Dear Christy,
We’d love them to visit the church. Look on the home page under “News” for the address and times! Love, Kelly

Larry January 31, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Thank you so much for this post. Is there ANY chance your family might have a TV show again? My family really enjoyed seeing you all..

Beanie February 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Happy Birthday to Trace and Jeb! :)

lisa d February 4, 2013 at 3:42 am

This is an amazing post.. When I was 15 years old I became pregnant and at the guidance and force of my parent I had an abortion. I am now 26 years old with a wonderful rambunctious 3 year old. My daughter is my life and I’m glad to be blessed with her.

Jacqueline June 2, 2013 at 3:26 am

I have really enjoyed reading your blog. I just came across it and realized your family values are much like ours. But we are Pentecostal, so a little different, but the values are the same. I always feel like I’m on this balance where people will get the wrong impression that I am pro-choice.
I am pro-life. I believe in God’s gifts as being the doorway to God’s many blessings. However, I feel like the shutting down of the abortion clinics would be a harsh action to these women. I believe that before we shut them out, that we should embrace them, and teach them, and give them a better hope than what they are seeing. I don’t personally believe God would want us to alienate them and just tell them “No” rather than reach out the hand of help. I think the hand of help needs to come before we can shut down what they believe is their only option.

hannah May 16, 2014 at 8:09 pm

go Bates!!!! I’m so glad people like you are still out there to contest the murder of precious babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like Mrs. Kelly i have to STRONGLY disagree with Ellens post. its rediculous and insane. it doesnt matter if the baby is one day developed it’s still alive, still a human being, still God put it there, still has a right to life!!!!!!!! yes i understand the excuse of well the mothers health is in danger well but if i was a mother and i lived with the thot i murdered my baby so i could live….i’d have a miserable life! i understand their may be exceptions to that but ONLY in that case. the fact that she said if they have a handicap or illness that will make them have miserable lives….is also insane. once they get here…then how bout we let them decide whether they want to live or die. i have a feeling most would say i wanna live!!!!!!!! so what if you have an adult who gets in an accident and becomes mentally handicap or physically whatever…….do we say o.k lets shoot them, their just going to have a miserable life anyway…no one would dream of it would they? well its no different with a precious innocent baby who cant help the circumstances, and doesnt have a say in the matter. there is no such thing as pro-choice……the God of the bible says “thou shalt not kill” and He did not say unless its a baby under 20 wks and it has a handicap….then your free to kill it. how about we leave it up to one being killed and not the mother? and if most young woman lived decently they wouldnt be pregnant in the first place if they didnt want children.