GONE TO GLORY

by Kelly on May 30, 2012

daddy_and_the_girlsIMG_2560

On this Memorial Day weekend, my family gathered around the bedside of my brother. We had much to celebrate! Most of his family travelled to see him. We knew he was dying, and we all longed to see him again. It was the first time we had all been able to be together in a while, and we had some exciting family additions to IMG_2243share: My sister Beth had a precious boy (Braylon), and my niece Angel and her husband Travis adopted two adorable twin girls (Kenna and Alayna). God allowed Chip to see and hold hisIMG_2539 two grandbabies!

Chip had been placed on hospice care last Thanksgiving. With heavy hearts we watched his strength slowly deteriorate. But God answered the many years of prayer of his sweet wife Brenda, one morning when Chip prayed and asked God to save him after having a nightmare about how he would spend eternity. I rejoiced, but so longed to see the fruit of his new life in Christ, and God granted that prayer as IMG_2529well. For over two months, Chip’s changed life radiated forth and encouraged us all. His family read his Bible with him, and his whole conversation changed! The night before he dieIMG_2548d he looked at Brenda and said,”We need to be doing something spiritual.” So Brenda read him verses and sang hymns to him through the night, then he went to be with the Lord early on the morning of May 30th.

Chip’s memory will be forever planted in my heart. He was my older brother that spoiled me, and I adored him! As an older child he asked for a wagon one ChristmasIMG_2553. Mom told him he was too old for a wagon, then she learned his motive. He wanted the wagon to pull me around as a baby. Since I was colicky, Mom said most days she would bundle me up in that little red wagon and Chip would pull me around for hours! He was a loving brother, and I will miss him immeasurably… But I must thank God for Chip’s salvation and for allowing us to have this special family time together before his homecoming!

kelly1kelly

Lynn May 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Dear Kelly, I am so sorry for your family’s loss of your brother. I know how much our siblings mean to us. They are our first childhood friends and we love them for a lifetime. It sounds like Chip was a wonderful older brother and childhood protector. I rejoice that he made the decision to follow Christ before he died. Now you can look forward to that heavenly reunion one sweet day. God Bless.

Amanda Flesher May 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, but I am thrilled to hear of his salvation. We are praying for your family.

Maggie May 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.

Jason G May 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Praise God that Chip is in glory with Jesus right now! I’m so glad the Lord confirmed his salvation to you before he passed on. Jesus is so good to us.

Amy May 30, 2012 at 7:51 pm

May god extend to you and your family his unending grace during your time of loss, i am sure you are comforted in Gods promise that he will provide us in his home in Heaven a place with no tears only joy and love as we are all reunited with our loved ones who have been called home before us. Your family by its example of how to walk in faith has provided much comfort to me during times of trial. With love and prayers Amy

Heather May 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I am so sorry for you and your family’s loss. I will be keeping you all in prayer.
God bless you all.
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Michelle W. May 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I’m sorry for your loss, but rejoice with you that you know you will meet with Chip again one day.
It’s never easy to have to let a loved one go, but it makes it a little less difficult when we know we will see them again.
I’m glad that you were able to see him here on earth one more time. In the days to come, I know it will help that you were able to spend some time with him.

Michelle May 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Kelly, Praise the Lord that your brother accepted Jesus and you all will have a wonderful family reunion one day!

Jola May 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Dear Kelly, i’m so very sorry for your family’s loss. Brothers and sisters are often the most important persons. The relationship I have with my little brothers is stronger than anything else. You and your family are in my prayers.

Maureen Werner May 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Praise Jesus for your brother’s salvation! I am sorry you will all miss him but so happy for you to have spent time with him near the end. You have a blessed family.

Christina Cosgrove May 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Praise God! This is so wonderful, Kelly! I must admit I cried when I read it. :) Love you and your family!

Katie May 30, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Kelly, so sorry for the loss of your brother. How wonderful to know you WILL see him again in Glory!!! Praise Jesus. So nice that you were all able to get together with him.

Jolene (Homespun Heritage) May 30, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I am so sorry to hear that your brother has passed on, yet, truly rejoicing that he chose the Lord God in his final months of life! May the Lord continue to bless his children as they now carry on his legacy, a Legacy in the Lord!

Jody May 31, 2012 at 12:31 am

So very sorry for your loss. I pray that God will comfort you with sweet memories until you are reunited again.

Jessica K May 31, 2012 at 12:49 am

I am so sorry for your loss, but I’m so glad to hear of his salvation.

Wendy May 31, 2012 at 1:21 am

I am praying for you and sooo sorry for your loss. I am so thankful that your brother truly got saved. Thank you so much for sharing this about your brother. It has encouraged me in the Lord more than you know. I have many lost loved ones and the Lord used your experience to give me hope that my lost loved ones will too come to Christ before they die.
In Christ
Wendy

Lydia May 31, 2012 at 1:46 am

What sorrow your family must feel to have lost a dear brother/uncle on earth! But also, how joyous to hold the hope of seeing him again one day in heaven – where you will never be separated again! What a glorious thought! Praise the Lord for His grace, bringing Chip to true faith in Christ! To God be the glory! May God’s strength and peace be upon your family.

Piper May 31, 2012 at 1:50 am

I’m so glad you got to visit Chip :) Saying good-bye is never easy but I know for me it’s a little better if I am able to give one last hug. Thank you for sharing the lovely memory of your brother and the wagon :)

T. Gates May 31, 2012 at 2:07 am

So sorry to hear of your loss! It’s never easy losing someone we love so dearly, but how comforting it is to know that he will be with you in heaven one day! Your family is in my prayers.

Joyce May 31, 2012 at 2:18 am

So sorry for your family’s loss. I’m glad you were able to see him one last time.

Emily Raynes May 31, 2012 at 2:28 am

So glad you all have the peace of knowing where he is now!! 1 Thes. 4:13~ “ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope”

Amanda May 31, 2012 at 3:00 am

So sorry to hear of your loss. Praise the Lord Chip accepted God’s free gift of salvation, and you all were able to see the fruit of his decision! Will pray that the grace of God will be with you all through this time of grief. God Bless!

Stacy Frost (Bethanie's mommie) May 31, 2012 at 3:20 am

I am so saddened to hear about the loss of your brother. I am so pleased that though your times are sad your able to rejoice in knowing you will see your brother again in heaven. We are saying a special prayer for your family tonight, for comfort for your brother’s family and your family as well. God bless you Kelly!!!

Mary May 31, 2012 at 3:21 am

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Brittany May 31, 2012 at 6:02 am

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My heart is breaking for you right now. I pray that God will grant you peace and comfort during this time. What an incredible gift to know that he accepted the Lord as his Savior! May God bless you and your family. I will be praying for you.

Kate May 31, 2012 at 7:03 am

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I will think of you and your family in my prayers. It is wonderful that your brother got saved!
God bless,
Kate

Kari May 31, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m so glad that you brother accepted Jesus as his Savior. I know you and your family will miss him and will be praying for you!

LindaAnn May 31, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hi Kelly I’m your for loss, and brother is at peace now with god now my prayer goes out to your family now.bye now LindaAnn

Dana May 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Kelly, I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother Chip. Thankful he rests with our Lord and that you had precious time with him before he left you.
Hugs and Prayers!!
Dana

Mary May 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Kelly, I am so sorry for your loss. I know your brother held a very special place in your heart. What a gift to know that he accepted Jesus before he passed away! I’m sure he is watching over you and your whole family.

Kyra May 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I’m very sorry for your loss, keep praising the lord for the time you got to spend with your brother…in the good times and the bad times!!

All our love and best wishes

wendy nichol May 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Dear Kelly sory about the loss of your brother Im so tickled that he was saved and is in heaven with jesus and you will see him again.Prayer for your family Love Wendy Nichol

Christine May 31, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I am sorry for the loss of your brother. You and your family are in my prayers! And I know that your family is grieving, but will rejoice in knowing that Chip is with the Lord.

Sonya Killebrew May 31, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Dear Kelly and Family,
I was saddened to read about the loss of your brother, but very joyed to read he will spend eternity with Jesus!

Denise May 31, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Kelly – so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. You are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart is aching for you. May you find peace. My god bless you all.

Brenda H. June 1, 2012 at 1:41 am

I am so sorry about your brother. Please know that you are all in my prayers. How beautiful that he came to know Jesus and that he is at peace. I know the Lord welcomed him with open arms! Your family has a special angel watching over them!
God Bless,
Brenda

Rebecca June 1, 2012 at 5:27 am

So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. I will be praying for your family. May GOD give you peace in knowing that you will see him again on day. I had chills race over my skin when I read that he had invited JESUS into his heart. Praying!!!!
Rebecca

Sheree June 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

So sorry for your loss. I’m so glad to know he was saved:) I will you all in prayer!

Renee Ackerman June 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Dear Kelly, May God Bless you and your in your time of lose. He sounds like a great brother and uncle. Remember the good times. love Renee

Patti June 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Kelly I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Know that you will see him again one day and treasure your memories of him.

Alexis June 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Dearest Kelly,

To you and your family may Gods Glory shine upon you in this difficult time but remember, he was SO BLESSED to come to Christ. You will see each other again in a happy, worry free, place with Him.

On a side note Michaela looks beautiful in the picture.

Yours,
Alexis

Pierrette June 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm

im very sorry for your loss glory to god is save .you look great . jeb is so cute .love your family you are encouragement for me .need pray for me and husban for raise my twins .love you all .pierrette

Teresa June 2, 2012 at 12:48 am

As friends of Chip and Brenda, I sit here and cry as I read this. Your story of how Chip spoiled you as a child is truly believable. He was always willing to help someone in need. The love Chip and Brenda shared was one in a million….very special folks!

Michael Guthrie June 2, 2012 at 12:57 am

I am so sorry for the loss of your brother you and your family are in my prayers

JenniferL June 2, 2012 at 2:20 am

I’m so sorry that your brother is gone, Kelly. But you will see him again, praise the Lord.

The new babies are all beautiful. Congratulations on these precious new additions to your family!

sara (italy) June 2, 2012 at 9:32 am

I´m so sorry to read about your loss, I´ll pray for you and your family!

Nancy June 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Praise the Lord, your brother is home in Heaven with our Savior.Let us rejoice in knowing he was saved. God bless you all in this difficult time.

Marilyn June 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you were able to spend time with Chip and his family and your faith will be a comfort for you and yours as you mourn Chip’s passing. He is at peace now, and in a better place. Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Sarah June 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I rejoice with you that your brother was saved and that there are no questions as to where he will spend eternity!

Reva June 2, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I’m so sorry for the loss of your brother. I’m so glad for his salvation though. I just wanted to let you know I’m praying for all of you.

Lauren H. June 3, 2012 at 2:50 am

I’m very sorry for your loss, and am glad you were able to say goodbye.

Myra Alton June 3, 2012 at 4:48 pm

To the ENTIRE Callaham Family….I am SO SAD about Chip’s passing, yet so relieved that his suffering has ended forever. Though I shared so little time with Chip in our adult years, I have beautiful memories of our gatherings in Seneca with our families as kids! Even as a young boy, Chip had a presence that was so incredibly SWEET and LOVING! He loved unconditionally! I will forever remember how his face lit up with his bright smile, his precious dimples, and his fantastic red hair. My love goes out to you all, and I hurt deeply for you. It’s just us girls now….we just lost our last Callaham man! RIP Chip!

Janet Kiessling June 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Our prayers go out the whole family! Thank you, Lord for taking this special Big Brother up to You!!! Kelly, he is sure smiling now!!!….:)
Blessings – the Kiessling family(((HUGS)))

Juanita June 4, 2012 at 1:44 am

I read this with the bittersweet emotions too. I am SO thankful that Chip came to know the Lord, and that all of you got to see the fruit of it as well. SO encouraging! I can relate to your sister-in-law Brenda; I lost my husband almost 4 years ago. It’s a hard journey, but I am SO thankful for a loving community of both families and church family to keep me going, and focused on Jesus. Another one of those journeys where I don’t know how ANYONE can make it without Him! I continue to pray for you and your family, especially Brenda.

Angela June 4, 2012 at 3:34 am

Very touching post….thoughts and prayers to your family….

Andrea June 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I am very sorry for your loss. Blessings to you & your family.

Debbie Holt June 5, 2012 at 1:31 am

Dear Kelly and family,
I am truly sorry for the loss of Chip, I know you loved him very much. Praise God the eyes of his heart were opened to the truth!! The Holts are praying for you and love you very much!

Love aLways , your fan and friend, Debbie Holt

Pam June 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm

My deepest sympathies to you, Kelly and your family. How nice for you to hold such a sweet story and memory of your big brother in your heart. Somehow, that wagon seemed very symbolic. May God bestow his choicest blessings upon you.