The New Year is a time most people resolve to set goals. In considering priorities, I’ve noticed that personal Bible reading and prayer often take a backseat to busy lifestyles! Unfortunately, the thing we need the most is the very thing we avoid… until crisis comes!
I was challenged by Erin’s new commitment to read her Bible the same amount of time she spends viewing any DVDs (in addition to her regular daily reading). The accountability of that decision has caused her to think twice before squandering precious time… and it provoked me to look up some statistics about the amount of time we waste in comparison to the time we give God!
Take a look at these staggering statistics:
· According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the avg. American watches more than 4 hrs. TV each day.
· # Hrs. of TV watched annually by Americans = 250 billion hrs.
· # min. per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children = 3.5 min.
· # min. per week the avg. child watches television = 1,680 min.
· % day care centers that use TV during a typical day = 70%
· % 4-6 y.r-olds who said they preferred watching TV over spending time with their dads = 54%
Now compare these Bible Statistics:
· According to Gallup, only half of adults interviewed nationwide could name any of the 4 Gospels of the New Test.
· Just 37% of those interviewed could name all 4 Gospels.
· Only 42% of adults were able to name as many as 5 of the 10 Commandments correctly.
· Surveys say only 20-25 % of Americans have read through the entire Bible
· In an interview with Assist News Service, Rhodes quotes a recent poll stating 35% of born-again Christians do not read the Bible at all.
· In addition, Rhodes indicates that among those who say they read the Bible, the vast majority only read it during the one h.r they attend church each Sun. morning.
These are pretty sad statistics, considering:
"Half the books of the Bible can be read in 10 – 45 min. each, and many of them can be read in less than 20," says Nashville-based pastor and author Robert Morgan. "The entire Old and New Testaments can be read aloud slowly and with expression in less than 71 hrs."
There are several types of free Bible Reading Charts available to assist you in reading through your Bible in 2012 :
http://blog.betterthansacrifice.org/2008/02/04/free-bible-reading-chart-keep-track-as-you-read-through-the-bible/ (This is a self paced chart)
You can also search “Bible Reading Charts” for chronological or read in a year plans.
We were able to watch the new Courageous Movie http://www.courageousthemovie.com/themovie at a nearby church New Year’s Eve… It reconfirmed the desperate need for parents to actively restore relationships with their children. May God help us as parents to rekindle these relationships, while striving to follow God in our daily choices!