IT’S A NEW YEAR

by Kelly on January 3, 2012

bible

The New Year is a time most people resolve to set goals. In considering priorities, I’ve noticed that personal Bible reading and prayer often take a backseat to busy lifestyles! Unfortunately, the thing we need the most is the very thing we avoid… until crisis comes!

I was challenged by Erin’s new commitment to read her Bible the same amount of time she spends viewing any DVDs (in addition to her regular daily reading). The accountability of that decision has caused her to think twice before squandering precious time… and it provoked me to look up some statistics about the amount of time we waste in comparison to the time we give God!

Take a look at these staggering statistics:

· According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the avg. American watches more than 4 hrs. TV each day.

· # Hrs. of TV watched annually by Americans = 250 billion hrs.

· # min. per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children = 3.5 min.

· # min. per week the avg. child watches television = 1,680 min.

· % day care centers that use TV during a typical day = 70%

· % 4-6 y.r-olds who said they preferred watching TV over spending time with their dads = 54%

Now compare these Bible Statistics:

· According to Gallup, only half of adults interviewed nationwide could name any of the 4 Gospels of the New Test.

· Just 37% of those interviewed could name all 4 Gospels.

· Only 42% of adults were able to name as many as 5 of the 10 Commandments correctly.

· Surveys say only 20-25 % of Americans have read through the entire Bible

· In an interview with Assist News Service, Rhodes quotes a recent poll stating 35% of born-again Christians do not read the Bible at all.

· In addition, Rhodes indicates that among those who say they read the Bible, the vast majority only read it during the one h.r they attend church each Sun. morning.

These are pretty sad statistics, considering:

"Half the books of the Bible can be read in 10 – 45 min. each, and many of them can be read in less than 20," says Nashville-based pastor and author Robert Morgan. "The entire Old and New Testaments can be read aloud slowly and with expression in less than 71 hrs."

There are several types of free Bible Reading Charts available to assist you in reading through your Bible in 2012 :

http://blog.betterthansacrifice.org/2008/02/04/free-bible-reading-chart-keep-track-as-you-read-through-the-bible/ (This is a self paced chart)

You can also search “Bible Reading Charts” for chronological or read in a year plans.

We were able to watch the new Courageous Movie http://www.courageousthemovie.com/themovie  at a nearby church New Year’s Eve… It reconfirmed the desperate need for parents to actively restore relationships with their children. May God help us as parents to rekindle these relationships, while striving to follow God in our daily choices!

Patti January 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thank you for the links to the bible study charts! I have been looking for something like that. Happy New Year to the Bates family!

brittani January 3, 2012 at 11:26 pm

i hoped your family had great new year’s i sure did i can’t belive taht is 2012 now the movie courageous i saw it in theaters it was good, i hope that your family liked it, i was so happy that some of the duggars were part of two scenes you maybe saw them in the moive tell if you did i was some of them.

Jody January 4, 2012 at 12:02 am

Thanks for the links to the Bible reading plans. I’m going to print off the self-paced one to keep track of what I have read on my own and through my small group at church.

Can’t wait to see what 2012 brings for the Bates family! I pray that God will continue to bless y’all.

Emily Raynes January 4, 2012 at 2:12 am

Very interesting statistics, Mrs. Kelly! :) Thanks for sharing… and Erin’s idea is great & very encouraging to hear about someone so serious about personal devotion to God’s Word!

Christy January 4, 2012 at 5:07 am

That is so good Kelly! My oldest (6) is a decent reader for his age but still requires a bit of help. How did you start your kids in them having their own personal Bible study time?

Gil January 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Dear Christy,
We use a Bible DVD for our non readers. We purchased it from a Christian bookstore for about $20. Try Christian Book Distributors. Love, Kelly

stacy January 4, 2012 at 5:12 am

Thank you for reminding us that we need to spend more reading God’s word. I started my one year devotional on New years day. I am striving to strengthen my relationship with the Lord through prayer and reading my Bible! Happy New year to you and your family!

stacey January 4, 2012 at 9:39 am

I have been watching your family for longest the now, and this is the first time I have written anything like this on a website. Your family is truly a blessing to me and reading this post has made me realize I waste so much time just watching tv and not spending time with God so I can strengthen my relationship with him, and hopefully bring my husband to see the love of God,and to one day open his heart and accept Jesus as his lord and saviour. I truly believe that the way you live your life is something that I would like but since my husband doesn’t really believe in God he won’t even hear of it right now. But I have prayed about this and I know that the way I live now isn’t the right way for me know because I feel lost. And my heart hurts and I just want to be whole again, but I don’t know if that will ever happen.

Gil January 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Dear Stacey,
I rejoiced to hear your desire to follow Christ… My heart aches for you as you long to see your husband have that same desire. I will pray for him and will also pray for God to give you strength! Be loving, encouraging, and patient so that your husband can see a good example! We read Dale Evans autobiography aloud and were so encouraged to hear her testimony. She came to know the Lord before her husband, Roy Rogers, and she was a patient, loving wife until God softened his heart. Love, Kelly

Sarah January 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm

What sad statistics, it has definitely given me something I believe I can work on in my life. A reminder so to speak of what I should be doing with my life, I hope I am okay in stealing Erin’s idea! What a great idea. Thank you for sharing it. I hope your day is going well.

Selina Bruner January 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm

My husband preached a New Year’s Eve service on Saturday night on this very topic. He ask how many of us made resolutions each year to lose weight, exercise more, etc… And then challenged us to make our commitments to God this year. He spoke about how important it is to keep our vows to God and how we shouldn’t use God as a spare tire. God sent a powerful message. I had pondered alot that night and then the next day at church, a brother sang a song entitled ‘You’ve Gotta Move”. I felt the Lord directing me to “move” and make some stronger commitments to Him. I’m praying for you and Erin and your whole family this new year. God wants good soldiers. I ask that you pray for me and my husband as we begin another year that we would allow the Lord to use us in whatever way He sees fit. That we won’t allow this world to wear us down and make us tired in service for Him. God bless you and yours this year. We love you all.

Sheree Gantt January 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for sharing this:)…I’ve decided to homeschool my 2 children for 2012. Lord had directed my husband and me to have a closer walk with Him with our children! My son recently had to write all the books in the Old and New Testament and say them in order. He got a new KJV Bible with his name engraved on the front. It’s so encouraging to hear young people and old alike pursuing a deeper walk with the Lord Jesus Christ!<3

Sarah L. January 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Those are definitely sobering statistics. This year I have resolved to start out the day reading the bible alone and then once the children get up to read a chapter of proverbs with them over breakfast. I also bought two bible craft/activity books to do during our school hours. The books have a craft to go along with the major stories in the old and new testaments. My children are still young so I am trying to keep it simple :) We do still own a tv but I am praying this year I can keep my kids occupied doing other things so that we can just go ahead and get rid of it. Thank you for all of your encouragement and for sharing your lives with all of your readers.
Many blessings,
Sarah L.

Lauren Sharpe January 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Wow, Erin is doing a wonderful thing. I want to challenge myself the same thing! I really need to do so because as you said bible reading can sometimes take a backseat in busy lives. Thank you for the bible reading charts! They will definitely help us out.

Much love,
Lauren Sharpe

Lauren Sharpe January 4, 2012 at 7:08 pm

For some reason neither link for the bible reading plans work for me. Could you check it in case you typed it wrong?

Lauren

Gil January 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Dear Lauren,
I posteed a different link for the Bible charts… hope this one works! Love, Kelly

Kaci January 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You are always such an encouragement to me! Thank you for the reminder to stay in the word of God daily! God Bless You!

Allison W January 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm

This is just the encouragement that I was in terrible need of! Since discovering your family and the Duggar family I have been re-establishing my faith as I sadly seemed to have put it on the back burner. Your families has opened my heart and mind to become closer in my relationship with the Lord and ensure that my children know, love, and serve Him as well. My struggle recently had been not knowing where to begin with reading the Bible, what version to read, and so on. Thank you so much. Your family’s ministry is so important to me. I would like your advice for someone who has not read the Bible…where do I begin?
Love in Christ,
Allison

Gil January 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Dear Allison,
I’m so excited to hear your enthusiasm to begin consistent Bible reading… When I first began, my Dad suggested I read Galations, Ephesians, Phillipians, and Colossians first… They’re short and practical and an easy start. I moved from there to John (One of the 4 Gospels: about the life of Jesus). From there I read Genesis: an exciting book that laid some important foundation and typology of Christ! It certainly doesn’t have to be that order… that’s just how Dad directed me. There are plenty of Bible reading guides to help… My favorite is John Phillips (Exploring the Scriptures). Love, Kelly

Melanie January 4, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Amazing statistics! Thank you for sharing. I’m praying for you to have a speedy & healthy birth.
Melanie

Franicia January 5, 2012 at 12:46 am

What a great testimony of sharing how you manage your time and use it for God’s glory! It’s been a while since I made a commitment to read (and get the dew) God’s Word before anything else that day, including emails, etc. So if I don’t read my Bible, I don’t get to read anything else. :-)

The other day I was also telling my husband how I’ve made an almost 1:5 ratio of time spent on emails, etc. that my goal was to do five times more physical actual productive things.

I love being productive but this further motivates me to get what I need to get done online with our websites and correspondence and research while also enjoying productivity with our hands on work with homeschooling, homemaking, and various crafts and tasks at home. :-)

Tamara January 5, 2012 at 1:24 am

Thank you, Kelly, for your latest post on the importance of Bible study. I am convinced that the majority of error within and without the Church is due to not having even read, much less studied, the Bible in its entire context. I see/hear this problem all too frequently from within the Church body and it alarms me more than any newspaper could! That alone would answer so many questions people have, and clear up a lot of misunderstandings. The pastor’s comment hit the bullseye; it is just too easy, so we are without excuse.

It is a good idea to make it a graduation requirement for the student to have read the Bible through completely WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL at least once. Parents give over to the culture and to the emerging teens too soon. We are giving up good “high ground” just when real victory is just ahead! Even if they’ve read the Bible through as children, it needs to be revisited IN WHOLE when their hearts and minds are ripe for context and immediate application in their world.

“Erin’s Promise” is with DVD use, but any media use would work as well — whatever distracts our devotion to His Word. Even good and needful things can saturate us more than God’s Word. Tell Erin I said thanks for the encouragement of her example.

Wyatt January 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hi there Mrs. Bates. Would it be ok if I use these for a blog post on my website (mbforchrist.weebly.com)? I’ll contact the organizations but just wanted to make sure since I got it from your website. Just thinking…….

Wyatt

Gil January 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Dear Wyatt,
That’s fine with us. Love, Kelly

Sarah January 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Bible study is so important!!!! Tv watching, internet surfing usually have no eternal significance! ( depending on what you’re doing, watching.)

~ Sarah

Grace January 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hi Kelly!

Such staggering statistics, but a wonderful reminder of what is most important in this life. Thanks for sharing.
Random question. Do any of your children have contact lenses or glasses? Everyone in our family has one or the other (or both). Just something I was wondering. :)

Praying for a healthy, happy baby and a smooth delivery.

Gil January 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Dear Grace,
Zach, Erin, and I wear contacts. Gil wears glasses occassionally. Love, Kelly.

Christy January 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Kelly I.ll look into it. :)

Biddington's Family January 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Wow! That’s really interesting…

brittani January 5, 2012 at 6:18 pm

how did your family like the Courageous movie, i liked it tell your family that i said hi i have been busy, well how can i put it well my babysitter’s two grandkids had their babies in 2011 i got to see one baby but not the other one, one is named brilynn and the other one is emmalynn they are so cute i wish i can send your family a picture of them so you know cute they are.

Jenny January 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I wonder if the Gallup poll included only Christians? I would not expect the 25-40% of Americans who are not Christian to know the Four Gospels or read through the entire bible (assuming that means the New Testament.)

Kay W January 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I really find it very difficult to believe that parents only spend 3 1/2 minutes in meaningful conversation with their children. Be assured that I spend a lot more time than that in meaningful converstion with my grown up children. It is also hard to imagine that most American adults couldn’t name 4 books of the bible and the 10 commandments. If I am wrong, the world is a much sadder place than ever I had imagined.

Charlene Griffin January 6, 2012 at 3:46 am

Hi Mrs. Kelly (& Bates family),

I had the same convictions this year. I have made such a priority for other things in my life, but not for consistent time with God just me and him. Of course, we always have family prayer/Bible study time at night with our entire family, but as far as my one one one time with God…it was lacking. So my resolution has been to make time for that every night after my children are in bed. I have started copying the book of Proverbs by hand into a notebook. I have discovered that I am able to retain more of the passages by copying them word for word. It isn’t for everyone, but it’s been fantastic for me! I just started with Proverbs because it’s one of my favorite books in the Bible. :) Thank you for being apart of The Duggar’s show. God has used your family & the Duggars to speak to me in so many ways. I am encouraged to be a better wife, mother, and homeschool teacher to my children, but most of all I have been encouraged to pursue a closer relationship with Christ and to rely on His strength to help me in every aspect of my life. The example that you and Mrs. Michelle set has had an extraordinary impact on my life and I hope to one day meet you both and thank you in person. Many blessings!

Love in Christ,
Charlene

Gil January 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Dear Charlene,
What a great project idea… They say the more senses that are involved, the better your comprehension will be. Love, Kelly

Tonya January 6, 2012 at 5:47 am

A lot of people say the bible is confusing, and some versions are; that’s why sometimes I’ll read the childrens bible first! Just to understand the basic meaning, and then give the Bible another go. Also I’ve bought the NIV’s, I understand them so much better than the King James versions!! Hope that may help someone out there!! Also to Stacey, don’t give up. It took me almost fourteen years to get my husband there!! It can be done! :)

wk January 6, 2012 at 7:25 am

Question for Kelly and Stacey: How long must you be loving, encouraging, and patient before you get the life you want? As a wife, are you expected to be all those things, until someday your husband’s heart is “softened’? What if that never happens?

If your husband doesn’t share your beliefs, is it right to suppress your own happiness indefinitely, until he changes his ways? Or on the flip side, why should you expect your husband to change his beliefs to align with yours?

No disrespect intended to you, Kelly and Stacey–just wondering.

Gil January 11, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Dear WK,
For me, I feel that I need to find what God wants me to do, then do that wholeheartedly no matter what the outcome may be. In the case of being a wife, I made a life long commitment, so I think my response should be to try to be a loving faithful wife… not based on my husband’s responses… but based on my wanting to please the Lord. If a husband is not measuring up to what we think he should as a spiritual leader in the home, I think God is still honored by the wife’s loving response. No, I don’t think its wrong to desire for a husband to accept Christianity. Since surrendering your life to Christ is the way to salvation and eternal life with Christ, then my desires for a loved one to accept that faith would not be based on selfish motives, but from a desire for their best! Love, Kelly

Scottish Jill January 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

This year I have decided to draw closer to the lord. I am beginning your schedule of reading the bible. I decided to download it onto my iPhones kindle which means I can read it where ever I go. I already feel better. I was on a bus today and some young boys where talking really horrible talk about beatings and gangs . I felt very distressed so I got out my phone and began to read the bible where I had left off and what do u know I was on Romans chapter 4 verse 7: blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven. I am going to pray for these boys. The lord is already doing a work in my heart. Thank you for all your encouragement.

Gil January 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Dear Scottish Jill,
What an encouragement! That’s a good way to turn a bad situation into a positive one! Love, Kelly

Juanita January 6, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Great idea! I’ve read through the Bible a few times; sometimes in a “chronological” order which really makes it all connect. With online Bibles, Bibles on CD, and Bibles programmed into cell phones, we really have no excuse; the same words can be projected into whatever communication method that works best for each individual.
BTW, happy belated birthday to Zach, oh yeah, and to Gil too; you said he was a “New Years baby”? Hope all your celebrations were blessed.

Kim January 7, 2012 at 2:44 am

Thank you much for posting the charts! It will help so much with keeping a guide for reading through the Bible!

Denise January 7, 2012 at 3:06 am

Being a preschool teacher, I can believe that parents only spend 3.5 mins of meaningful conversations with their child a week. We have many children that are at our center 10-12 hours a day. When parents pick them up, they are on their cell phones, etc. If the parents have a day off, they will bring their child to the center, rather than spend time with them. Think about it, you get tired of being at your job 5 day a week and welcome a rare day off, children are like that too, they would like a day off too.

Parents are tired, and mostly will not sit down at “talk” with their children.. they will tell them what to do, etc. I am not saying all parents are like this. many are not, but I have seen many who are.

Thank you for the reading charts,I am going to start using them. Thanks also for being such a good example to us all. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy, I can not wait to see pics of the new little one.

Sarah B January 7, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Hello,
I am from England and just read this blog entry of yours. It’s really made me think. I haven’t been religious so far but I’m going to have a go at reading the bible due to this – I think statistics reminded me almost that I haven’t been doing enough – with not having a religious family it’s nice to be reminded of this. I am 19 and trying to make some big decisions in my life and instead of relying on myself now I am going to try to rely upon the Lord and perhaps scripture could help also? Are there any particular scriptures you enjoy and think could help with direction?

Thank you for your blogs, they are always enlightening – I’ve just been reading through past ones and I thank you for them!

Regards,

Sarah

Gil January 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Dear Sarah,
I would reccomend reading a Bible overview book to get a clear understanding of the main thoughts of each book of the Bible. My favorite is Exploring the Scriptures by John Phillips. A good place to start your reading is the Gospel of John, which presents the life and ministry of Christ. A good local church will be a great asset in helping you learn the Bible doctrines and in providing Christian support through fellowship. Love, Kelly

Kathryn January 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Jenny,
I am Jewish, and I have read all of the New Testament on more than one occasion, I think it’s important for cultural literacy. I of course know the ten commandments too, since they are part of my religion :)
I think those stats are pretty accurate considering the majority of Americans practice Christianity, and those of us that don’t are still very much exposed to it.

Becky January 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Hello Mrs.Bates. Erin’s commitment to reading the bible through has encouraged my daughter to do the same. She is thirteen years old and doesn’t know how to really start doing this. Do you have any tips? Thank you so much.

Tammi January 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Please forgive the boldness of this question, but what is the best way to correspond with you privately? Is your mailing address the best way?
May the Peace of the Lord be always with you and your family,

Gil January 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Dear Tammi,
I end up being several months behind responding to e-mails since I limit my computer time. I am several weeks behind in snail mail, but it is faster because I can take it to the dentist, etc. to work on during waiting times. Love, Kelly

Rosemarie January 9, 2012 at 12:39 am

Hello, I just wanted to comment to the above post by Becky, if thats okay. My children who are 13&14 use a Bible reading plan through Sword of the Lord.
They send you some preferated sheets that seperate into cards.The cards have boxes to check off for each days reading then at the end of that month you send the card into the address on the back of the card.In a few weeks you will recieve a free gift from the ministry.
My teens really enjoy doing this. Just thoguht I would share :)

Sword of the Lord
P.O. Box 1099
Murfreesboro, TN 37133

Crystal January 9, 2012 at 1:57 am

Hello Mrs. Bates,
Please keep my family in your prayers. My mother died 5 days ago and it was so unexpected and I am having a really hard time. I know she is in a better place and I know I will see her again, but I can’t stand the thought of not seeing her. I have to go to her house and take care of my step dad (who is blind) and take care of my brother (who is disabeled) and it so hard not seeing her there. Just pray that GOD gives me the strength to make it through the next few days. I have to go to the Social Security office, and to the banks to give them the death certificate. It’s going to be hard!
Thank You so much!

Gil January 11, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Dear Crystal,
I lost my father several years ago, and find myself crying over his absence… yet smiling over my precious memories! The hurt won’t go away, but the memories will begin to help comfort you as you reflect on your memories. Love, Kelly

Charmaine January 9, 2012 at 5:20 am

Hi Everyone,
Just asking for personal prayers for my family here in Australia. Our beautiful grandson Jaxson Thomas passed away in my arms on New Years Eve he was 21 months old. It was unexpected and we are very devastated there are times when I can’t breathe, other times I believe someone is praying for me because I am on a cloud and there is no pain. Jaxson was the little love of my life and I was the person he wanted to be with, we had a very special bond and I am so glad that God saw fit to allow me to hold him in the Ambulance. The hour he was struggling friends and I were holding a prayer hour (we didn’t know he was struggling at the time, the phone call came in later) We prayed for a miracle to heal his unwell body, but Jesus thought it fit to take him and be with him. I am angry that this happened yet I know that God has his own plans. This little boy was our blessing straight from Heaven and we were allowed to keep him safe for just a short time.

Could I please ask for prayers as we have the Funeral tomorrow to Celebrate his little life. Thank you in advance
Love from Charmaine Brisbane Australia

Gil January 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Dear Charmaine,
My heart aches with you… I often thought that burying a little one would be the hardest trial of life. May God strengthen and encourage your hearts during this trying time! As little Jaxson so greatly blessed you, I’m sure many others could stand in line and say the same about his little life. One of the scenes in the movie Courageous showed the parents having to thank God for the time He gave them with their daughter who was killed in a car wreck. It was such an emotional scene that we all just wept… yet, the faith showed was such a comfort! May God offer that comfort to your hearts as well! Love, Kelly

Joanna January 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I am quite shocked by these satitics. As busy as people and children seem to be, I often wonder how they possibly have time to watch 3 or 4 hours of TV a day. I am sad to say that I know there are lots of children in my neighborhood, but on any given day you won’t see hardly any of them outside playing. I wonder what they are doing. And many schools don’t even have recess or outdoor play at all. That is so sad.
I have my old and current programs, expectially educational programs, that I love to watch, but I love what the Ompa Lumpa’s from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory said about TV, especially pointless TV, “What do you get from alot of TV? A pain in the neck and an IQ of 3!” I love that line.

Joanna January 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Becky, it’s very helpful to get a year-long devotional for your daughter, especially one for girls her age. You’ll find them in any Christian bookstore or online at sights such as Christianbook.com.

Christy January 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hey Kelly! I was wondering what u do about toys. I know it’s off topic , sorry. You have such a range of ages. How do you organize them and decide what to keep and what to do about gifts for birthdays and Christmas. Especially for the young ones. Thanks! Love you,Christy

Gil January 11, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Dear Christy,
Too many toys can be overwhelming! Years ago when Zach was 5, I remember trying to motivate him to clean the mess of toys. Each day in playing, the little ones thought they had to dump every toy out (ignoring most while leaving a discouraging mess!). Someone spoke at a homeschool conference on organizing the home. They suggested removing most of your toys to storage, then advised to trade the toys out once or twice a year. We tried that and the stress of cleanup dropped dramatically. A few years later, we stopped satoring extra toys and just stuck with having one hamper full. If they get new toys that cause the hamper to overflow, we get rid of some old ones. The advantage was that the kids spent most of their play time reading, playing outdoors, playing board games together, etc. Even though we have a hamper of toys, very few of the children choose to use them… they prefer bikes and books and such! Love, Kelly

Jennifer January 10, 2012 at 2:25 am

Dear Kelly, I am so excited this year! My wonderful sister gave me a 365 day Bible. I have been reading it every night and love it. I have been a Christian since I was 7 and loved Jesus way before then. I love what you and the Duggar family stands for and love watching their show and reading your “updates” on your website. Thank you and may God bless you all!!

Marnie January 10, 2012 at 2:38 am

My husband and I pledged to spend more time as a family which includes nightly one on one time with each of our two children for prayer, reflection, cuddling! We also do not permit electronics to invade our lives–no DVDs for car rides, no phones on at home at all (except my work pager). How often do toddlers clamor for our attention (my daughter must say “Mommy” eight million times a day!), but I always try to remind myself that each time she is telling me something!
For example, at nighttime this evening, she asked me “Mom, how does God see everything?” I started to explain that the view from Heaven is enormous when she said, “Mom, I know! He must have eyes in the back of his head like you do!” So glad that I was WITHIN that moment with her!
Also, we have a book of 100 Bible stories that came with two CDs of bible songs…great way to introduce scripture to little ones and we read them and play the songs in the car (especially while waiting in the drop off line each morning!)

Wishing you a healthy, happy delivery (quick and painless)–I’m guessing another boy!
Warmly,
Marnie

Beanie January 11, 2012 at 3:12 am

Both of my parents have read thier Bibles cover to cover every year together for almost 11 years now. They both say that it has been a real blessing to them. I know it is for me! :D

AnnaLisa Young January 11, 2012 at 4:37 am

Your postings are so emotional and insightful, would be so great to see video clips now and then of you all playing music ect. I heard an audio you did on dating. It was awesome. Do you have any more audios of Bible studies you could post?

Karrie January 11, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Those are sad facts about today’s Children, just today I and my husband went out to eat at a fast food place on the way home from a showing of a home that we needed to see while looking for homes for us, their was teen boys at the table a few tables away for us, what I caught was curse words and football and sports talk , nothing edifying the Lord and the Bible. I asked my husband is that what children these days talk about well boys that matter? I don’t have a problem with sports or watching or playing them but putting them as a god like my parents and siblings families does it comes a problem.
I vowed that this is a year that I’ll cut my net time down way down, while we are looking for a home, we are going to limit stuff we do and what we get. We don’t have children yet because of problems with people getting in our way but, this year in September my husband and I celebrate 10 years, I wanna celebrate it by starting a family and have several Gods Blessings and we’ll be already planning on homeschooling the future Blessings because we don’t like how the schools and culture is coming too.
We are planning on when we get our new place a house that is , that at the dinning room or kitchen table of each meal, breakfast , lunch and dinner/supper we will have a Bible Devotional with it, we will be allowing only G rated or family and Christ Centered movies in the house for family movie and game night, I’ll be also cooking things from scratch and getting busy and I’ll be using manger of their chores chart when we move. I am finding that this culture is going worse and worse each month and year and day and I don’t want the new ipads , ipods, kindle and smartphones, I don’t like this modern technology .
I used to be addicted to the net and stayed online for 8 -10 hours, went on alot of stuff and gotten in trouble, I also was sucidial up until last year, I had a very bad experience at a mental hospital so when I think of harming myself or geting those thoughts, I think of that experience and I will not go back in there, I am not one of them, I am a child of God and Born Again Christian that attends a Baptist church.
Thanks for having such a large family and your values and principles and love for the Lord , you and also the Duggar family are good examples even when our culture does the oppsitie to the Lord and contrary to the Bible.
God Bless
Karrie

Kay W January 12, 2012 at 2:09 am

Dear Chrystal, Sixteen years ago my mother died unexpectedly, too, so I know how unprepared to lose your mother you are. I had no more than gotten home from the hospital following her death when I needed to call my father. My mother’s voice was on their answering machine and it tore my heart out, I’m sure. As time has passed, though, losing her hasn’t gotten any easier, but there have been some pluses. My dad was in the Army as I was growing up so he and I hadn’t developed much of a relationship. Now we enjoy a very special bond. Their house is now ‘Dad’s house’ instead of always being refered to as ‘Mom’s house.’ My children were nearly grown when my mother passed away so they have fond memories to share with me. There have been some laughs, too, like when my then 4 year old granddaughter visited the cemetary with my daughter and me during the Christmas season. My daughter and I stood with tears running down our cheeks until my granddaughter said, ‘Mommy, why did Great Grandma decorate the woods for Christmas?’ The ‘decorations’ of course were momentos that had been placed at graves by family members. Your grief is new, but it will get better as time goes on. I hope we hear from you so we’ll know how you are coping and I promise to remember you in my prayers.

Lauren Sharpe January 12, 2012 at 3:17 am

I just want to say thank you so much for what you told WK. At the beginning your words really spoke to me. Today has been a very hard day with some things going on in our lives right now but you saying “For me, I feel that I need to find what God wants me to do, then do that wholeheartedly no matter what the outcome may be.” really really spoke to me and what all went on today. I love ya’ll so much and thank you for being our friends. You’re truly a blessing to us. I love how levelheaded, humble, sweet, loving, you are and when I don’t see the other side of things you bring it to my attention one way or another.

Much Love,
Lauren Sharpe

Christy January 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Kelly! Good ideas! Praying for all the families on here. Especially the family that lost the lil boy. Jesus’ peace is beyond our understanding :)

Sarah January 13, 2012 at 1:26 am

Dear Christy and Charmaine I just sent up a prayer for you both I pray that the days to come will be easy and want to let you both know that the Lord is with you “praise him in the good times AND in the bad times”. Love you both God Bless Sarah!

Brenda H. January 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hi Kelly!
I realized this morning that newest Bates will be arriving in a few weeks! I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you and the little one. Praying for a safe labor and delivery!
God Bless you and the whole family.
Brenda H

Beanie January 13, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Good for Ms.Erin! :D I’ll be praying for you, Charmaine.

Rosemarie January 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Hello Bates, I was wondering if anyone in the family has any food allergies/intolerances? My daughter & I are having some health issues and had allergy tests done that showed several food allergies in both of us. I was just wondering. She also has another test Feb 9th that she is very scared of going to with the food allergist!
I also want to thank you for your posts. It is great that you take the time to read & answer them.May the Lord bless you all :)

Gil January 17, 2012 at 12:07 am

Dear Rosemarie,
Erin had several allergies when younger, but she outgrew them! Love, Kelly

Charmaine January 17, 2012 at 10:35 am

You can all visit Jaxson here, light a candle or leave a message of support if you wish.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. There are times when I can’t breath and there are times when I feel like I am floating on a cloud without pain, I know these times are when someone is praying for me.
Love Charmaine
Brisbane Australia

Sarah January 17, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Dear Rosemarie,
You have cought my intrest with the sord of the Lord thing! I got on that site and I couldnt find were you sign up to do this. Do you know were I need to go to do this?
Thanks and God Bless Sarah!

Alexis January 18, 2012 at 3:44 am

Dear Mrs. Bates,

I am continuing to pray for a healthy pregnancy and easy delivery for you and baby Bates.

May the light of Jesus be shown to all men this year.

Alexis

Brenda H. January 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm

HI to all those on the Bates Family blog,
Please know I am praying for all of you. God Bless and be with all of you. I wish you peace.
Brenda H.

Rosemarie January 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Dear Sarah,
I am glad that the Sword of the Lord has sparked you interest. It really is great!
You just go to Sword of the lord home page. When you are on the home page click on the tab resources on top,you will come to a list of options on the bottom right column choose Bible reading.You will be prompted to the page that has the Bible reading combined plan or you can click for the classic plan(the option just above the printed Bible plan). Once you have the one you would like to follow there is a print button & just print the page. As you move along in your reading check them off & at the end of the month send in to the stated address below the page.
I hope this helps. God Bless, Rosemarie

Lauren January 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm

May I ask for your prayers please on a few things?

My Granddad went to the doctor because he’s been having back pain and they did an ultrasound. He got the results a few days ago, they found a mass on his kidney. Monday he will go for a CT scan to hopefully find out what exactly the mass is. Prayers for him please and that the doctors will figure out what’s going on.

Also, today I was doing housework, I bent down and when I came back up my knee popped and I felt like something tore on the side of my knee. It’s not good because it hurts and the leg it happened to is the leg that I had the strand of blood clots in after I had Jacob. So this leg is very tender, sore anyway and gives me problems with pain every once in a while especially if it’s cold. I know injuries can cause blood clots, and I’m worried that I may have injured my knee, therefore I could be at risk for more clots especially since I have a history of them. Prayers please? I hope my knee heals up fast and I’m trying to keep it moving for the blood flow, and putting ice packs on it. Also, if it keeps hurting I will see the Dr. I already called them today but had to leave a message.

I’m giving everything to God and trying not worrying but it’s not easy for me to not worry because I just have that personality…I worry!! :(

Gil January 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Dear Lauren,
We will pray for your knee and for your Granddad. Please keep us updated. Love, Kelly

Hannah January 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Dear Mrs. Bates,
How were you able to watch Courageous before it came out on DVD? My Family and I watched it last night and it was such a good movie. We really enjoyed it! We also saw a few of the Duggars! :)

Sarah January 21, 2012 at 4:16 am

Dear Rosemarie,
Thank you so much I found it now if I can get the print button to work it will all be good somethings covering it.
Love Sarah

Sarah January 23, 2012 at 12:15 am

Dear Rosemarie,
I finally got it to print but it came out very light. Any way do you just send them the checked off boxes and the Address?
Thanks and sorry for all the questions Love Sarah!

Nicole January 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Wow that’s bad! I’m 13 and I’ve been able to name the Gospels since I was like 4!! Matthew, Mark, Luke and John!

Charmaine January 29, 2012 at 7:10 am

Thank you to everyone for your ongoing prayers for my family. If you would like to view Jaxson’s Celebration of Life, it is now on youtube. Thank you again xx

Mrs. White- The Legacy of Home February 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

Thank you for sharing this! Is is both convicting and encouraging.

ANNIE Gardner April 10, 2012 at 3:25 am

Hello, Bate’s family I had contact you before to ask where Gill worked in before starting his own bussiness? I had a brain tumor taken out in 2003 and I see people I think I may have seen them before but not sure. I worked as floor manager at Darnell food Market in wartburg Tn. I know this is not a big deal butif this is true I can’t wait to tell everybody at Patricia Neal I have never had a memory that far back without a lot of hints and coaching, I told my husband last night I think he was Keebler or Nabisco because I would check the products in. Hope I am not a bother just wondering if I am anywhere near my thought’s Thank You and God Bless each and every Bates child.

Gil May 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Dear Annie,
Yes, in fact, Gil was a sales Rep for Nabisco before starting his own business! What a small world! Hope you are getting better! Love, Kelly