HAPPY THANKSGIVING

by Kelly on November 22, 2011

_MG_3961

In a recent sermon, Gil stated that our relationships are the most valuable thing we have:

•          First, our relationship to God
  •          Second, our relationship with family
  •          Third, our relationship with others

We can lose our house, our health, our finances, our reputation… but with the hope and assurance and comfort of these relationships, we can still endure the tough times!

However, the neglect of any of these important relationships can hinder our faith, our motivation, our fellowship, and our joy!

Let’s take opportunity this Thanksgiving to show appreciation for the special relationships that have helped mold and make us who we are… beginning with Christ who loves us unconditionally, extends to us His free gift of salvation, and offers us forgiveness and fellowship with the Creator of all the universe!

If there are damaged relationships in your life, purpose this Thanksgiving to give priority to mending old wounds and restoring your “attitude of gratitude” for the people God has placed in your family and in your path! Take time to “Count your Blessings!”

Happy thanksgiving!

Helpful Resources for Mending Relationships:

• Embassy University (http://www.embassyinstitute.org/) – For $9 monthly, watch tremendous messages on anger, bitterness, and relationships (ex: Basic & Advanced Seminars, Anger Resolution Seminar, Financial Freedom Seminar, Home School Conference messages, and many more!)
  • “Who Is Ahithophel? (A Portrait of Bitterness)” Sermon by Pastor Jim Schettler (http://www.burgeterrace.org/). – This is one of the best sermons we’ve ever heard on the subject of bitterness! The sermon was preached at Burge Terrace Baptist Church in Indianapolis, IN on August 7, 2011 Sunday pm during a Majesty Music Conference.
  • Journey to the Heart (www.livingthejourney.com.) An opportunity for sons and daughters to find freedom through forgiveness and by gaining a clear conscience, as they learn to detect wrong heart attitudes that rob them of their true joy.
  • Sermons by Pastor SM Davis (http://www.solvefamilyproblems.com/) – Pastor Davis is committed to helping build strong families.
  • Experiencing a Fulfilled Marriage I & II”  by Patricia Ashley (http://www.focusonthefamily.com/) – A humorous, yet challenging message presented to wives.
  • Fireproof DVD (http://www.christianbook.com/) – A fire fighter learns that marriage means commitment and dependability.

_MG_3980

Emma Culverhouse (England) November 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Bates Family!!
Here’s hoping you have a fantastic day on Thursday,
love always,
Emma xx

NathaLee November 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

such a great post! I hope you and your family enjoy this Thanksgiving. We are all truly blessed each and every day.

NathaLee Hutchins

Nicole Pelkey November 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Bates Family!
We are so blessed!

Jessica November 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm

So true! Happy Thanksgiving!! Hope your family has a wonderful week. :)

Lauren Sharpe November 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I just want to thank you so much for posting that today! I am struggling a lot with my family right now and unfortunately we are not getting along. I really needed that and thank God He put you and your family in our lives. God Bless, and I hope all is well with everyone.

Lauren S.

Gil November 23, 2011 at 5:20 am

Dear Lauren,
Remember how God extends His grace and forgiveness to us, so that we can show the same love and compassion to our offenders! Love, Kelly

Amy November 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Just love love love your sweet family!! You all are such a breath of fresh air in this world of “what’s in it for me”. I love how you teach your children to serve the Lord and others by the example you set for them in your daily lives. I’m praying for you all and baby #19 – I know you can’t wait! We are in the midst of praying for baby #4, so we will see what God has in store for us :) God bless!!

Michelle November 23, 2011 at 12:35 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! You are such an encouragement and blessing to others.
As we celebrate, let’s all give thanks for our Savior, Jesus Christ. He blesses us so that we can be a blessing to others. Extend His grace not only on Thursday, but everyday.
God is good!

Lynn November 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

Dear Mrs.Bates,
All your children look alike, The three boys in the picture looks like Two of them could be twins.
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Nicole November 23, 2011 at 1:29 am

Lovely post! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Nicole @ A Dozen Blessings

Patti November 23, 2011 at 1:57 am

On a practical note…are you cooking turkey for Thanksgiving? If you are, do you get one large turkey or a few smaller ones?

Gil November 23, 2011 at 5:19 am

Dear Patti,
Since my children are not huge turkey fans, we get one large one. They fill up on most of the sides like: green beans, deviled eggs, slaw, fruit, corn, macaroni and cheese, etc. Love, Kelly

Christy November 23, 2011 at 2:25 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I am grateful for you and your family too!!!Blessings to you all!
Christy

Donna November 23, 2011 at 2:40 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Bates Family!
Thank you for the wonderful resource links.
d

Sarah November 23, 2011 at 2:50 am

I wamted to share this poem with you:

All in a Word

By Aileen Fisher

T for time to be together, turkey, talk, and tangy weather.
H for harvest stored away, home, and hearth, and holiday.
A for autumn’s frosty art, and abundance in the heart.
N for neighbors, and November, nice things, new things to remember.
K for kitchen, kettles’ croon, kith and kin expected soon.
S for sizzles, sights, and sounds, and something special that abounds.
That spells ~~~THANKS—for joy in living and a jolly good Thanksgiving.

I want to wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving! And wanted to tell you that I am very THANKFULL that God brought you and your family into my life, you guys have encouraged me so much! I can’t put into words how much you all mean to me and I just wanted to say THANKS!!
May God Bless you this Thanksgiving,
Love Sarah

Hope November 23, 2011 at 3:04 am

What is some of your favorite foods your fam likes to eat for Thanksgiving? Are y’all having family over?

Gil November 23, 2011 at 5:14 am

Dear Hope,
Our favorite is macaroni and cheese casserole. The children also love pumpkin rolls. We usually eat turkey with dressing and gravy out of tradition, but the children would all prefer southern fried chicken! Love, Kelly

Denise November 23, 2011 at 3:33 am

Happy Thanksgiving Bates family!! What will you be doing for the holiday?? May God Bless you all, you are truely an inspiration to us all!!

Kaci November 23, 2011 at 4:27 am

I really look forward to your blog’s! Always so encouraging! Thanks for sharing with us!

Kay W November 23, 2011 at 6:55 am

As I recall you spent last Thanksgiving with your mother and sisters. Is that what you will be doing this year, as well? We always go to my daughter, Sue’s, and son-in-law, Tim’s house in Mexico, NY, which is about 10 miles east of our house. All the available kids, grands, etc will be there. Some spend the day with their in-laws and then Christmas with us. Hard to get used to sharing, but I have been doing that for many years. Whatever and wherever you are spending your day, I know you, Gil and the children will have a good time. Here in central NY the temperature will be 65 and sunny. What a blessing that is!!! I can remember years of being worried sick about the kids driving in a snow storm. I am thankful for your friendship and getting to know Michaela and Alyssa better, among the many other things I have to be thankful for. Love to all of you and God bless. Kay

Gil November 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Dear Kay W,
We usually do spend Thanksgiving with relatives, but this year we’re hoping to spend some time with my brother in Sc who is on hospice care. Love, Kelly

Kelly V November 23, 2011 at 11:45 am

Hi, Kelly and Gil. My first pregnancy recently ended by miscarriage. I was about two months along. My husband and I understand and believe that this is all part of God’s plan, and we accept that and plan to try again as soon as the doctor gives us the ok. But do you have any suggestions for dealing with the sadness that I keep feeling? Thanks.

Gil November 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Dear Kelly V,
Perspective is how we look at things. One mother lost a 21 year old son and was bitter at God until the preacher reminded her that God had given her 21 undeserved years with that son. Some mothers have only one child, some lose a spouse or child early in life, some wives never conceive… all could be viewed as injustices until we realize that to even be given breath is an undeserved blessing… not to mention that we are offered salvation and forgiveness of sins. Once we change our perspectives, we can see a little differently. Will we still sorrow? Sure! Sadness over losing a loved one equals LOVE and emotions for that loved one… I’d be concerned if there was no sadness! However, when we are sad, we can go to God in prayer and sing, “What a Friend We Have in Jesus!” In the midst of our sorrow, we can still find comfort in His goodness! Love, Kelly

Nicole Pelkey November 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Mrs. Bates, I meant to tell you that you are on my DAILY prayer list. I pray for your pregnancy, as well as Mrs. Duggars, and other ladies in our church etc. I pray every day for all of your pregnancies! I just wanted you to know :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cynthia Lewis November 23, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the source link. It looks fantastic and I think it will a subscription will make a perfect gift for my husband for Christmas. Better than watching Netflix all the time. Have an incredible Thanksgiving!

Robert Staddon November 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Bates family! We’re really thankful for your friendship and encouragement!

Angela November 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for a wonderful site!

Carita November 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Sometimes I think we get in the way of what God has planned for our lives with our own families when things are not going well. God has a plan and sometimes we just need to pray and let God be God. I truly have been blessed by your blog and family. Happy Thanksgiving! Bless you all!! (Can not wait to see who the new little one and pictures of your yard!)
~Carita~

Tonia November 23, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Just wanted to wish your family a Very Happy Thanksgiving!!

brittani November 23, 2011 at 7:14 pm

dear bates family ,happy thanksgiving bates family from brittani, and things iam thankful for is my mom, my babysitters family, and the blessing that god gave my babysitter’s with one baby here and one more one the way, and the friends i have and got to meet the duggars in person for the first time, and i hope i get to meet your family in person someday. from brittani

Beanie November 23, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Your little boys are so cute!

Yvette November 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm

We are wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving Day! You are truly and inspiration!

God Bless you,

Yvette

Kay W November 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Dear Kelly, I am so, so sorry to hear that your brother is so ill. Remembering the story you shared about the wagon he wanted for Christmas to give you rides, I know he must be a special person and holds a special place in your heart. May God grant peace and serenity during this difficult time. Know that my prayers will follow you to SC and back. Love, Kay

Wendy November 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Sorry to hear about your brother, Kelly. I don’t know the details, but God does and I’ll say a prayer for him and you all right now. May you make many memories this Thanksgiving with your family!! God bless you!

Lauren Sharpe November 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Thank you for your words of wisdom! Also thank you for what you told Kelly V. I know the post was not directed for me but it was for me as well when I read it. I struggle with the fact I can not have anymore children and being so young doesn’t help. I appreciate what you told Kelly V. Thank you because your words helped me. Love you all and have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Lauren

Franicia November 23, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to your family from ours!

I know it takes dedicated time and love in order to write these posts and respond to them. I wanted to thank you for that.

It is so helpful to be able to “visit” and get edifying resources that are recommended by your family. Those sermons from Pastor Davis have been such a blessing to us and our friends and family that ask for counsel. We will look into those other resources as we are not familiar with them. We are trying to place recommended resources on one of our websites as to save us time whenever brethren ask for similar information. :-)

Again, thank you all for being a light!

Love in Christ,
Franicia for the White family
(Tim & Franicia, Heistheway, Pelaiah, Abraham, Noah, and Daniel)

Pam November 23, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Bates family! I am thankful for all your encouragement and my prayers are with your brother and family. Blessings to all of you.

Tamyra November 23, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for the words of encouragement. Take care and God Bless.

Kerry November 24, 2011 at 2:01 am

Happy Thanksgiving Bates!

Christy November 24, 2011 at 2:02 am

Kelly ! So sorry to hear about your brother. Will keep all in our prayers!
Love
Christy

Denise November 24, 2011 at 2:19 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Bates. I pray that God blesses you all in your life. I believe in prayers and would like to ask if your family would pray for me and my two kids.
I just want you to know that I have enjoyed you website more than any other inspirational sites, it feel more down home and for real not fake, it has help me stay upbeat. Thanks

Brenda H. November 24, 2011 at 2:32 am

Hi,
Thank you for the beautiful Thanksgiving message! And for the reminder that I am more thankful for what I have rather than worrying about what I don’t have.
Kelly I will be praying for your brother, may he be filled with the Lord’s peace & grace.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Brenda H

Emma November 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Bates family!

Kristy J November 25, 2011 at 12:03 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! I hope your enjoying the day. We are all spending the day sick so our meal is postponed. Everyone is on the mend now so that’s all that matters. Anyway, thank you for the encouragement that your website provides. I love reading it often! I have to ask, can you share the recipe for the pumpkin rolls you mentioned? I love anything with pumpkin! I’ll say a prayer for your brother and I hope that you get to spend some time with him.
Love always,
Kristy

Juanita November 25, 2011 at 12:18 am

Kelly, I’m sorry about your brother being on hospice care. I too hope and pray you get some good time with him. Praying for you and your family.

Emily S. November 25, 2011 at 5:33 am

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the link to the Embassy Institute!!! What an amazing resource! My husband, Patrick, and I have watched a few seminars already and will be watching many, many more :-) This will be such a blessing to our family….I can’t believe it’s only $9 per month. I hope other people will check it out.

sara( italy) November 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! love, Sara

Sarah November 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm

How was your thanksgiving? I was also woundering if you could send me “Beware were you stair it may become a snare”?
Lots Of Love
Sarah

Vanessa van der Kramer November 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Dear Bates family,

I would like to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and ask also if you have any CDs or downloads available of your music. I have so much respect for the way you raise your lovely family. To me family is everything.
Kindest regards,
Vanessa

Gil November 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Dear Vanessa,
There are some songs of us singing that were posted on you tube under The Bates Family Sings, I think. Love, Kelly

Marilyn November 26, 2011 at 2:44 am

Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.
~Marilyn

Jennifer November 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Lovely and timely post. Thanks so much for posting these resources; I am listening to the message on bitterness now. =)

Stacy November 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Mr. and Mrs. Bates,
I love your page and this post. Thanksgiving was always hard for me before I became a christian. I was young and newly married and had just buried my first child. Then I realized that God doesn’t do things to hurt us, sometimes that is just part of the thing called life. God knows what each of us can and can not endure! Just before Thanksgiving in the year 2000, I gave my life to the Lord. That Thanksgiving day, even having just lost Bethanie, I was still able to give THANKS!! Families like yourselves give each of us hope, faith, and encouragement to just trust in the Lord. For his ways are perfect, even when we feel they are not!
Kelly, as I read on here, so sorry to hear about your brother :( My family will lift both his name and yours up in prayer.

Trish Kehoe February 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I want to let you know your family are so encouraging. Your family encourages me to keep the closeness with God. I just read you were blessed with a new little boy. God bless you and your family. We love when you get together with the Duggers. I keep all of you in my prayers. Please enjoy all your gifts from God, and thank you for reminding us to do the same thing.

katts February 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy ,I really enjoyed watching on hoping ,you had a successful pregnancy.