Majesty Music Conference

by Kelly on August 30, 2011

images

Every year our girls look forward to a summer music camp called Musicollege hosted by Majesty Music (http://www.majestymusic.com/). The day is divided into different classes taught by skilled musicians such as Ron and Shelly Hamilton, Faye Lopez, Matt and Rachelle Whitcomb, Frank and Jean Garlock, aSchettler_biond others.

Not only is it a time to enhance music skills, but even more importantly, it is a time for spiritual growth. Each year a chapel speaker presents challenging and encouraging messages throughout the days; this year’s speaker was Pastor Jim Schettler from First Baptist Santa Maria, CA (Former chaplain of PensacolaRon Christian College). (www.firstbaptistsantamaria.org/)

Pastor Schettler presented one of the best sermons we’ve ever heard on the subject of bitterness! His sermon can be downloaded from Burge Terrace Baptist Church in Indianapolis, IN on August 7, 2011 Sunday pm by Jim Schettler titled: “Who Is Ahithophel? (A Portrait of Bitterness)”. (http://www.burgeterrace.org/)

Another stirring message is the testimony of Ron Hamilton which can be heard on his Patch the Pirate website. (http://www.patchthepirate.org/) His message shows how God can turn a trial into a great blessing, since children all over the world have benefitted from Patch the Pirate’s ministry!

mail

Hayley August 30, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Judson has grown up so much! How old is he now?
Do all your girls play an instrument? Which ones? I know that Erin plays piano. Did your whole family go?
Much love,
Hayley

Gil August 30, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Dear Hayley,
All of them play the piano from Zach down to Jackson. The three oldest boys play the guitar. Zach and Nathan play the harmonica. Zach is learning to play the dobro. Erin, Alyssa, Tori, Trace, Carlin, Josie, and Katie play the violin. Our whole family went to the Indianapolis Homeschool Training Conference, then Michaella, Erin, Tori, Carlin, Judson, and I remained two extra days for Musicollege. love, Kelly

lynn August 30, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Mrs. Bates, Your family is very talented in music. I can tell they love to sing for the Lord. I watched your video on youtube where you all sang together “THE LOVE OF GOD” my favorite song. If it wasnt for the LOVE of God I would surely be lost and worse things may have come. If it wasnt for Jesus, where would I be???? You have shared Jesus with so many people, and you all will have many rewards in heaven.
Got a Question, Do u use the character chart that the Duggars use, The one chart that says truthfulness vs. deception and other things on it? Can you tell me how to use it with my children. We have our Bible study every nite and thanks to your advise, it has been soooo much fun. I would sure appreciate it. I am learning so much about the Lord it is truly amazing. thank you and God Bless, Lynn

Gil August 31, 2011 at 12:35 am

Dear Lynn,
The character chart is available through the home school group that our families are members of: Advanced Training Institute. The chart correlates with lessons from the curriculum in the Wisdom Books. However, the charts can also be used in conjuction with the Character Sketch Books Volume 1-3 which are available to anyone through the IBLP on-line bookstore. The wisdom books suggest that you focus on one character quality per month. It offers suggestions to help motivate and creat enthusiasm as you develop the quality. The studies for that month all relate back to the character quality of the month. You could create your own tailored program to learn a quality together by memorizing the definition, looking for ways to apply the quality, finding lessons that teach the quality, and rewarding the results of practicing the quality. Love, Kelly

Melanie August 31, 2011 at 12:40 am

My husband is a pastor in Kentucky. We take our kids from church to The Wilds Christian Camp in Brevard, North Carolina. Pastor Schettler was the speaker the week we went a few weeks ago. He preached the sermon on bitterness that you are speaking of. It was an awesome sermon.
Our church also uses Majesty Music products for our choir and have Patch the Pirate and PeeWee clubs on Wednesday nights. Musicollege is such a great experience. Glad your girls get to experience it. I have never commented before, but follow your blog and am blessed by your family. My in laws live in Knoxville and I have secretly wished that I would run into ya’ll when we were visiting. Keep glorifying the Lord!
Melanie

Gil August 31, 2011 at 1:08 am

Dear Melanie,
We’ve heard excellent reports about the Wilds Christian camp… Maybe we can go some day! We get to hear a lot of the speakers they use and always feel so refreshed and challenged! Another of our favorites from the Wilds and Musicollege is speaker Rand Hummel. He preaches a message called “The Dark Side of the Internet”. I wish every home could hear it and take caution! Love, Kelly

lynn August 31, 2011 at 12:54 am

Thank you!! I really appreciate you telling me. This is all new to me, and I know I should of been teaching my kids about God a long time ago. Things are changing around my home, thank you Lord.
I can see the change in my children and it is because of Jesus. Please keep praying for us.

Gil August 31, 2011 at 1:05 am

Dear Lynn,
Late is better than never… and we all need a little help from one another. I’m so encouraged to hear how the Lord is working in your home. May all of us other moms take heart! Love, Kelly

Melanie August 31, 2011 at 1:24 am

I also enjoy hearing Rand Hummel speak. He does an amazing job speaking to teenagers. Ya’ll should definately try out The Wilds. They have a family camp every summer where the whole family can attend together. I’m not sure exactly where ya’ll live, but the camp is only about 3 hours from Knoxville. Not a bad drive. Knoxville is half way for us, so we stop there for a break, leave our children with Papa and Nana for the week and drive the kids from church on over. We always leave refreshed and charged up to live a more godly life. I’m sure your family would love it.
Melanie

lynn August 31, 2011 at 1:29 am

O Kelly, That means so much to me. If you only knew, how I needed to hear those words. Thank you so much and Thank you Jesus for Kelly.
Take care, lynn

Elizabeth August 31, 2011 at 1:56 am

My kiddos LOVE Captain Patch! We all love Majesty music also.

I’ve lived in/near Pensacola my whole life and have heard Pastor Schettler preach more than a few times. His messages always exhort and edify.

Reading through your other comments, we’ve often thought about attending the Wilds family camp. We’ve also thought about going to Bill Rice Ranch’s family camp. It seems like it never works out!

Also wanted to share that we have just 14 days left until our baby blessing #5 is due! :-) So excited!

Danielle August 31, 2011 at 3:49 am

I am thrilled to see names of friends of mine on this post. I personally am a friend to the Hummel family and spent many summers at their home. Rand is a wonderful man of God with amazing preaching and books. As a young lady I was able to hear his sermon on the internet which was amazing. Your children would love The Wilds in Brevard where the atmosphere is very God honoring. Many wonderful preachers are there every summer and wonderful opportunities to have a great time with friends and with God! I hope your girls enjoyed some time with Faye Lopez at the conference, she is a wonderful musician and I loved hearing her play the piano growing up in church. I also enjoyed sitting under the preaching of Pastor Jim ar PCC, during my college years. Thank you for being such a wonderful testimony to others around the world and a great witness. You’re family is being used mightily by God.

lynn August 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Mrs. Bates,
I checked out the IBLP site today. There is some really neat stuff that I am gonna order. Thank you for sharing with me!!
Lynn

Hayley August 31, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I am so glad that ya’ll had a good time!
That is so cool how a lot of large families are musical!
I have 9 other siblings and while only 3 play piano, almost everyone sings very well.
Thanks for replying to my message!

Mandi September 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Kelly – I am having difficulty locating and downloading the sermon from Jim Schettler . I recently heard a good sermon on the topic that utilized the parable of the prodigal son, but focused on the older brother. If you or anyone can find a direct link, I would love to hear Mr. Schettler’s sermon.
Thanks -Mandi

Gil September 2, 2011 at 4:57 am

Dear Mandi,
I went to the church website for Burge Terrace Baptist Church in Indianapolis, IN. On the side bar, I selected the “resources” tab. Next, I selected “sermons”. Next, under “Filter by”: I selected “speaker”, and in the box beside it that says “choose one”: I selected “Schettler, Jim”. Two choices appear. I selected the one titled “Ahithophel”. (http://www.burgeterrace.org/en/resources/sermons?sa_action=mode_speakers&sa_filter=Jim–SPC–Schettler) Hope that helps! Love, Kelly

Hayley September 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I was wondering, when do you allow your girls to wear make-up?

Gil September 2, 2011 at 4:51 am

Dear Hayley,
We don’t base it on age… We look more at their maturity, their goals, their discretion, etc. Some don’t have a great desire yet. We encourage them all to use make-up to enhance their natural beauty (meaning choose modest amounts and natural colors), so that the make-up doesn’t distract. Love, Kelly

AJ September 2, 2011 at 12:12 am

It is so neat to hear of others enjoying this Majesty Music conference! I went to the earlier one in Virginia, as that was more accessible for my sister and me, and it was a wonderful blessing. :)
You really should visit The Wilds! I’ve gone to camp a few times, and my family has been to family camp once. Every time I’ve visited, it has been amazing….God has taught me so much! (and Rand Hummel is the best :) ) I would join the others posting and highly recommend you go to the family camp one of these years. :)
Thank you for your encouragement. I would love to meet Erin someday as I am also a young musician…you don’t come across many other young conservative Christian musicians. :)
All in all, thank you…from a fellow Bates! (I wonder if there’s any relation..hm..:))

Carla September 2, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thank you so much for sharing this.
The Lord has been working on my heart regarding this issue.
It was such a powerful message. Thank you!
Praying for you!
Carla <

Hayley September 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Mrs. Bates,
You are so right to base wearing make-up on maturity!
I totally agree with making your making it look natural.
Thank you for responding!

Krista September 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I have never heard of Patch, but as a Sunday school teacher I am definitely always looking for new things that children could be interested in while learning about God at the same time. Have you ever heard about Veggietales? I grew up watching these and the kids would love them! Here’s an example of one if you’ve never seen it. Basically they’re animated vegetables that act out Bible stories.

Lisa September 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I can still hear little Jackson saying “She’s the best piano teacher I’ve ever seen” or something like that on one of the “19 Kids” shows. He is still my favorite kid ever on tv.

Anna Hackel September 2, 2011 at 7:29 pm

What Fun!
I got to meet the paine’s at HQ and they are a sweet family!

Carla September 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Here is the message on The Dark Side of the Internet:
Everyone should listen:

Sarah September 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Anna Hackel I wanted to tell you that you look so pretty in the pictures on the Duggar’s website from when you were travaling around with them! I remeber seeing you at the book signing its very sweet of you to travel around with the Duggar’s and help out with the little kids!! God Bless Sarah!!

Hayley September 5, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Sarah,
Where are the pictures that you mentioned on the Duggar’s website/
I couldn’t find them.
Thanks,
Hayley

Christy September 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hi Kelly!!
We love the Character Sketch books and using the Character Quality’s with them! Our oldest is 6 but, when he turns 7 or 8, we plan on starting the wisdom booklets.
We are praying my blood pressure stabilizes from having preeclampsia in my last pregnancy so we can have more babies, if you think of us, please lift us up. Blessings to you!
Your family is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing!
Love you all! Christy

Kentucky Mom September 8, 2011 at 12:39 pm

How is your pregnancy going? Hope all is well.

Gil September 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Dear KY mom,
I’m at 17 weeks now (looking more like 38 weeks! Ha! Ha!) and I’m enjoying every moment of it, since I’ve come to realize with a greater awareness how fragile life is! Love, Kelly

Melanie September 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I was just wondering how the pregnancy was going? Wishing you all the best,
Melanie

Gil September 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Dear Melanie,
I’m doing great! I don’t actually have another baby appt. for 2 weeks, but I’m certainly growing! Love, Kelly

Sarah September 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Dear Hayley,
If you go to there website then scroll down to the bottom there are picture albums click the one that says family and friend and the should be there it looks like a few got taken of thouh. Hope that helps!
God Bless,
Sarah

Abygayelle September 8, 2011 at 7:29 pm

It looks like some of y’all had fun! I can see that all your kids are growing up…sad but wonderful isn’t it? I can’t wait till that new baby arrives!
How old are the three boys (Jackson, Warden, and Isaiah) now? What about Addee and Ellie and Callie-Anna? All your kids are beautiful, Kelly! You’re so blessed, and I hope God gives you lots more babies!!! You must be only like 39 or 40, right? You look so young and pretty and healthy! Praying for you…Abygayelle

Gil September 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Dear Abygayelle,
I will be 45 this October! Judson turns one this week, Callie is two, Ellie is four, Addee is five, Isaiah will turn seven, Warden is eight, and Jackson is nine! And yes, they are growing soooo fast! I look at Judson andd feel like I’m looking at Zach. Love, Kelly

Hayley September 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Abygale,I know, Mrs. Bates looks so young!
But she’s actually 44…

Sarah September 8, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I was just wanting to know how Alyssa is doing? Lots of Love Sarah!!

Gil September 9, 2011 at 4:04 am

Dear Sarah,
She’s doing great and staying very busy! Love, Kelly

Melanie September 8, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Thank you for the update Kelly. You have been in my prayers since you announced it.
Best wishes to all,
Melanie

amber landers September 8, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Glad to hear that all is going well with the new little one. Man 17 weeks already, it’s going fast.
Love Amber

Christy September 9, 2011 at 3:10 am

So happy your pregnancy is going well!
You are so inspiring! Just saw your documentary on ABC, I think it was, watched it online… your family is amazing!
I was just wondering have you ever had any problems like high blood pressure or anything like that in any of your pregnancy?
Blessings to you!
Christy

Gil September 9, 2011 at 4:04 am

Dear Christy,
No, I’ve never had any complications other than beta strep infection which can be harful to the baby unless a penicillin IV is administered during labor. Love, Kelly

Christy September 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm

What a blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first baby was beach , c-section. Second had high blood pressure, c-section… decided to give this area up to the Lord, miscarriage, 4th Baby… preeclapsia, baby born 5 weeks early and in NICU for 5 days, also a c-section. Then my blood pressure didn’t go down for 8 weeks. Then when the baby was 5 months old it went up again and I’m on medication again. I’ve done research on the blood pressure medication and most all (and the one I am on) are not safe to get pregnant on… I really don’t know what to do. Sorry I’m venting… no one in our family understands why we want more. Anyway…. I am praying for you and your little one being nit together, and all your babies :)
Love you all!
Christy

Gil September 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Dear Christy,
It’s hard for us to understand why some things happen in life… especially concerning medical issues and life and health. I was reading an article about the children who were born to the widows of the 911 tragedy, and felt like crying for these brave families who have weathered the storms of life after the loss of fathers/ husbands. Yet, we can trust that God is a loving God who cares for each of us and though we can’t see the bigger perspective of how things work together in the end, we can know He is faithful! We must take our burdens to Him to find peace and contentment in the midst of our difficulties. I will pray for you for wisdom! May God bless, Kelly

Sarah September 10, 2011 at 1:33 am

I have a question, When is your baby due? Will you find out the gender?

Thanks! Praying for your family!

Sarah

Gil September 10, 2011 at 3:13 am

Dear Sarah,
We are due on Valentine’s Day! We will probably let Alyssa find out the gender, but noone else…but that’s still in the planning/praying stage! Michaella & Erin made an appeal to find out with Callie-Anna. We lat Tori find out with Judson, but Alyssa has never found out. The rest of us have never found out either, but we do like to make a guessing game out of it! Love, Kelly

Annette September 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Glad to hear all is going well with this baby! I never asked what mine were either I felt that going thru labour you need to have a surprise at the end to make it all the better! I was just counting this morning how far along you probably were!

Kathryn September 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm

What a fun idea, to pick one of your children to learn the sex of the baby! It seems like a great way to make them feel special and involved :)
Do the two of you normally find out the sex too, or is the child that you pick that ends up being the only person to know until the birth?
Wishing you a continued healthy and happy pregnancy.

Gil September 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Dear Kathryn,
Gil and I never find out the gender. We’ve only let some of the older girls find out on the last 2 babies (our boys probably couldn’t keep a secret!). The girls had to help shop for clothes of both genders and help pick names for both, so they wouldn’t give it away! They did very well keeping the secret from us! It was a lot of fun. Some of them don’t want to find out again because they want to be surprised too. Love, Kelly

Christy September 11, 2011 at 3:03 am

Kelly, Thank you so much! I about cried reading your response! I really wish we would have gotten the chance to meet you when we lived in Maryville… it just didn’t workout ..God’s plan’s are good though, for sure! My husband and I are in prayer daily about it. We don’t ever want to put a precious baby in danger (by being on the medications)so we are praying hard. I love the wisdom that the Lord has put in women and men (like you and Gil) it’s priceless. So many adults need fathers and mothers with wisdom and just don’t have them. Thank you for taking your time out to even do this website! I know you have to be tired and I pray for more strength from the Lord. He is our Rock and our Refuge! I want to honor Him and never deface Him.
Love you!
Christy

Melissa September 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Hello Kelly,

Just a note – thank you for sharing about Majesty Music, Ron Hamilton & Burge Terrace Baptist Church – the first 2 are great resources. The third is where my son attends church now that he is attending Verity Institue and really, really likes how biblically sound it is. Your resource are great.. keep sharing.
Blessings to you and your family,
Melissa

Abygayelle September 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Oh, I know! Judson looks so much like Zach, and really all your boys! He is so precious, and everytime I see a picture of him, I just fall in love with his little round and delightful face! He is so adorable, I could kiss him forever!
When I first started following your blog, it was right when Judson was born on the 15th, and I was like, “I thought they only had 17 kids?” Because I first saw y’all on the episodes of the Duggar family in 2008/2009 when my friends bought me Season 2 of their’s for my birthday last year. I had always thought that y’all would soon catch up with the Duggars, and soon enough, you will be!!! :) I am so happy for you all!
Question: When a child of yours is first born, do you allow the child to sleep with the older ones (like suppose it was a baby girl and she was just born and you put her in one of the girls’ room to sleep and be in there) or do you let the baby sleep in you and Gil’s room until it is older?
Thanks so much! Love~Abygayelle

Gil September 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Dear Abygayelle,
The new baby always sleeps in our room for atleast the first 3 months, because it is easier to tend to them and nurse them. Love, Kelly

Abygayelle September 15, 2011 at 12:31 am

Oh, I forgot to ask, “What exact day are you turning 45? Thanks!

Gil September 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Dear Abygayelle,
I turn 45 on October 26! Love, Kelly

Christy September 16, 2011 at 1:50 am

Question… do you find it hard to find modest clothes that are easy to nurse in?? Cause I do! Didn’t know if you had any ideas :)

love
Christy

Gil September 18, 2011 at 4:13 am

Dear Christy,
I wear a lot of skirts and blouses. I use a private room to nurse, or if that is impossible to find, I use a nursing blanket. Love, Kelly

Abygayelle September 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Oh, I definitely agree! My parents did that with all ten of us kids in our family for a period of time for that very same reason. How many people share one bedroom? Do you and Gil spread them out in each bedroom by age (Like Michaella, Erin, Alyssa, or Zach, Lawson, and Nathan?) or do you just “mix them up”? :) Thanks! Love, Abygayelle

Gil September 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Dear Abygayelle,
There are 4 twin beds in one of the boys room and 3 twin beds in the other boy’s room. Judson’s crib will be moving out of the nursery soon to join them. There are 11 twin beds for the girls (one extra) spread out in 3 different rooms. They each chose where they wanted to sleep. Love, Kelly

Christy September 19, 2011 at 1:48 pm

thanks Kelly :)

Christy September 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Kelly
I’m looking for a soft (nap time) instrumental Cd. Would Erin’s Cd be good for that? I listened to a few samples but I couldn’t tell if it stays soft. If not do you have a recommendation?
thanks :)
Christy

Gil September 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Dear Christy,
Erin said her CD would not fit that need since most of her songs build in the middle. There are several instrumental hymns available through IBLP On-line Bookstore; two came to mind: Simply Hymns and Peace Be Still (http://store.iblp.org/categories/MUS/). There is another conservative music stor that allows you to listen to selections before purchasing ( http://www.oldchristianradio.com/). Love, Kelly

Christy September 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Kelly! I will look into those! I knew you’d have a good recommendation!
Bless you!
Christy

Danyelle September 28, 2011 at 1:05 am

Oh my I just saw that Pastor Schettler spoke at the conference y’all were at. He was Pastor of the Campus Church when I was at PCC and he was an AWESOME pastor. I just loved him, glad to know y’all like him too :)

Beth October 3, 2011 at 2:56 am

I went to Music College for the first time this past August, in Fairfax, VA. I went to one of Pastor Schettler’s workshops, and it was awesome! The overall experience was a blessing, and I hope to attend next year. :)

Tammy Gwinn November 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I am married to Pastor Jack Gwinn’s oldest son (Duane) Jake. We met when you were at Bible Baptist Temple church and then again at Esther & Daniel’s wedding. I believe my son, Christopher looks at having a family differently since he has met your family. He is waiting for God to bring the right young lady into his life. I thank you and your family for the inspuration you give to me and others to follow God’s word and live your life for God.

Dr. Adrian November 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Your family inspires my love of God. I love to hear you all sing together. Keep up your blessed work.
I am so happy to “know” you through the TV and internet.

Beanie November 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Patch the Pirate is neat. I like listening to the tapes I have of his. :)

kelly mcclure November 22, 2011 at 4:48 pm

we lived in that little trailer at “life down on the farm” probably the smallest one up there and I home schooled Daniel’s kindergarten in the big barn loft there. It was a lot of fun. we lived there 5 1/2 years from ’97 to ’02. There were only 2 trailers back then and one little house. We love the Monroe’s.