Cake Bake

by Kelly on July 12, 2011

When our house was being remodeled many people came along side to help us and offer discounts which was a HUGE blessing, especially since Gil loves shopping for bargains! (See “Acknowledgements” on our website)

One such blessing came unsuspectingly when we had to look for alternate lodging for an entire month during the dry walling and flooring of the new addition. Holiday Inn Express of Clinton, TN came to the rescue and offered us 4 rooms at such a ridiculously LOW price that even we couldn’t turn it down!

Staying there for a month, we became very close to workers like manager Mr. Casey Anthony and sweet Mrs. Helen. We’ve kept in touch since then and they almost feel like family! (Sometimes we hang out in the motel lobby to catch a glimpse of one of the 12290956Duggar shows.)

12290941Recently Casey’s wife attended cake baking classes. When she made a huge Noah’s Ark masterpiece with several layers of cake, she generously chose us as the grand recipients of her work of art. Since there’s a birthday in almost every month, and double in some… She knew it wouldn’t go to waste!

The hardest part was slicing through such a beautiful creation, but the children quickly laid claims to the various handmade edible animals and we put her baking skills to test! We think she did a super job and thought you’d enjoy the photos of her fun cake!

12290987

122909851229095512290933

Jessica July 12, 2011 at 6:19 am

So cute!!!

Kay W July 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

Adorable cake. It makes me almost want to take a cake decorating course.

amber landers July 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm

how cute, and fun!!! She did a great job!!

sonja petersen July 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

The cakes really look like a wonderland. I like the lion, the duck and the frog has got funny eyes. How can you eat it? But I’m sure they must taste yummy.
Sonja

Annette July 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Wow!! Wonderful! I am sure the Bates appreciated every bite! What a sweet gesture, she is a very giving person!

Eileen July 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm

What a cute cake! I love the colors. It is so cheerful! We are so blessed in our lives when someone reaches out to help us in our time of need. And, then there will come a time when it is our turn to lend a helping hand to someone else. God is good! :0)

jayme @ No Regrets Living July 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Wow!!! That was a lot of work! A major labor of love. Well done – I’m impressed…I’m just learning how to do roses and that’s hard enough for me right now!

T. Gates July 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Wow! Beautiful cake; she did a great job! I would have had a hard time cutting into it, too!

Lisa July 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Very, very cute!

Melanie July 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm

What a beautiful cake. What talent. I’m sure your family enoyed it. Reading your blog always puts a smile on my face. I hope Erin is doing well after her surgery.

Linda July 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm

This is so cute! She did a fantastic job on the animals! Really a work of art. I am so glad you have lots of pictures cause this would be hard to eat without having those keepsakes. Thank you for sharing. Love you site! You always have wonderful things to share. Please Kelly write a book!!

ria mc mahon riatmc@ July 12, 2011 at 9:43 pm

i hope Erin is feeling well after her surgery what a cake amazing thats all i can say about it kelly do you have good news did i hear u are expecting a baby?

Jane Barkley July 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm

The cake is beautiful. She did a wonderful job!

Millicent July 13, 2011 at 12:14 am

wow–that is amazing!!!

Emily S. July 13, 2011 at 12:20 am

What a generous and yummy gift! Not to mention beautiful!!!

Nicole Pelkey July 13, 2011 at 1:50 am

Wow! That cake is amazing!! Kelly, what is the most popular month for birthdays in your family?
Well, I am sure you all enjoyed the cake, I agree, it would be a hard one to cut into, it’s so beautiful!
Nicole

Gil July 13, 2011 at 2:16 am

Dear Nicole,
Counting Gil and I: January has 2 birthdays, February has 3 birthdays, March has 0, April has 2, May has 2, June has 0, July has 1,
August has 3, September has 1, October has 3, November 1, and December has 2. Love, Kelly

Susan July 13, 2011 at 2:51 am

How cute! I don’t know how you were able to eat it, I would probably have kept it until it was falling apart. I am sure with so many little ones they were excited to have a bite ;)

Joyce Adams July 13, 2011 at 4:35 am

Too Cute! I have one question, any left overs?
Have a great day and I hope Erin got 2 peices of cake since she’s recovering from surgery. (Everybody knows you recover from any surgery faster if you have 2 peices of cake! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)
Joyce

charity crawford July 13, 2011 at 11:50 am

Such and amazing cake! Love it!

Denise July 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm

It is so nice when God brings people into our life may he alway bless your family and mind with kind people Ameen. Beautiful cake wish I had that talent

Anita July 14, 2011 at 12:11 am

Dear Brother Bates: I am writing from Buenos Aires, Argentina, long time since I communicated with you via email, I’m watching your new posts and see that beautiful cake, the operation of God is healing her Erin as soon as possible so you can keep singing beautiful hymns to heavenly father, and the pretty story of the courtship of Zack and Sarah, God bless this union. Good to know that both serve the Lord and He joined them, hopefully God willing it ends in a beautiful Christian wedding. Because we had this weekend we, as my daughter Camila link contracted after several years of courtship with Jonathan, son of Christian pastors. The joint is made in the church they pastor here in Buenos Aires, and we really enjoyed a fine feast among all brothers, all cooperated in the realization of the banquet, both because God was on all the time between us, as parents of the bride are more than thankful to God for so much mercy toward us. Young people today are travel honeymoon. I like to share this with you because we are of one mind, how important it is that young people walk in the way of the Lord, staying pure until marriage, that to them will bring many blessings. I hope I answer the mail soon dear Kelly to know your expectations regarding the engagement of your son. God bless you greatly.

Cara R. July 14, 2011 at 2:57 am