JULY 4th – PART 2

by Kelly on July 7, 2011

July 4th is a special day for our country and I’m grateful that there is still a desire in many to show honor to our nation and to the many who defend it to protect our freedoms.

July 4th is also a special day for us because it’s Papa Bill’s birthday! It’s a family tradition to go to Papa’s farm in SC for his birthday cookout. This year Papa turned 73! _MG_9989_MG_9941_MG_9969_MG_9946122900541229005912500062122900851229005712290068

Kay W July 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Michaela is so pretty I can’t imagine why she doesn’t want her picture taken. A belated happy birthday to Papa Bill. What a nice group of people. God bless, Kay

Gil July 8, 2011 at 12:19 am

Dear Kay,
I have to agree… I snuck this photo in, but knowing Michaella she’d prefer to serve behind scenes and will request me to remove it… Love, Kelly

Lynsey July 7, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Judson is getting so big!! what a cutie!

Sarah July 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Is Greg your brother Kelly or Gil’s brother? Love Sarah!

Gil July 8, 2011 at 12:18 am

Gil is the oldest of three. His siblings are Greg and Jeni (Jeni was not able to make it this year). His parents are Papa Bill and Mama Jane. I am the baby of four. My first set of siblings are Chip, Kay, and Kim. Later my mother remarried and I have three step brothers: Trip, Ty, and Lee. After we had all long married and moved away, Mom adopted my second set of siblings as precious tiny babies: Beth and Beka (Of course, they’ve grown up now!). My father passed away. We call my mother Meema. Love, Kelly

Jennifer July 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Goodness look at how big Judson and Callie are! Time just flies by!
Happy birthday to your papa!

Casey July 8, 2011 at 12:00 am

The picture of Callie is too precious! So great to see you guys! We miss you already!

Teresa Burruss July 8, 2011 at 12:48 am

Just love your family. So glad I found this website and can keep up with your family. God Bless and take care.
Teresa

Melissa July 8, 2011 at 1:00 am

Dear Gil and Kelly,
I just love the pictures of your family – you encourage me greatly! Although, they make me miss my dad even more.. he passed away this last February and picnics and family get togethers were important to him…
Kelly – I had a meema in my life too – we spelled in Meemaw (maybe it is a northern thing?! hahaha).

Blessings,

Melissa

Brenda July 8, 2011 at 2:34 am

All the pictures are wonderful, but the one that just touched my heart was the one of Papa Bill, Gil & Judson. Three generations-precious & priceless!! Families are the foundation of our country -how appropriate that Papa Bill’s birthday is celebrated on July 4th!!
Thank you for sharing with us. I live on Long Island in NY- if you ever come to NY stop by for a visit. God Bless!

Pat July 8, 2011 at 4:56 am

I always enjoy your pictures, you go to some very pretty places.

Mandi July 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm

What beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a great tiem fellowshipping with your family. The younger girls dresses are adorable! thanks for sharing.

Sam July 8, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Happy Birthday to your papa!

Annette July 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I cannot believe Michaela will ask you to remove the photo! She reminds me very much of a Victorian lady she has a natural beauty! In fact she looks a lot like my Gran when she was about 16 prob taken in the early 1920′s! I have a feeling Judson will look a lot like Gil as he grows up he looks so much like him now..time for you to compare baby pics!!!

sonja petersen July 9, 2011 at 10:42 am

Happy Bithday, grandpa Bates!
I like to know is there a special food you have on July 4th? Or a cake? Maybe a BBQ?

Gil July 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Dear Sonja,
Mama Jane always has a hot dog cook out with slaw, baked beans, chips, pound cake, and homemade ice cream! Love, Kelly

Kay W July 9, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Since I almost feel like I know Casey via your web site I checked out hers. Great, great pictures of all of you. Love, Kay

sonja petersen July 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for your quick answer, Kelly, that meal sounds yummy!!!

Gillean Smith August 25, 2011 at 5:06 am

I am thrilled to have spent a few moments with your family during tonight’s Prime Time Special. It gives me hope that TV, video games and such could really be tossed out and put aside for so much more family time, love and God’s blessings. I look forward to following how you make things work to see how I may be able to begin making modifications to my family lifestyle! The moment of beginning a courting time was so genuinely touching and special. That is what a true relationship should start out as no matter what decade or century we are in.
Thanks for your gift of life lessons!

judi verducci August 25, 2011 at 7:02 am

I love watching the Bates/Duggar families for years.I would love to see a romance between them.I am sorry for Kelley’s problem each child there is a heart break.Both families support each other so much, I am jealous.God Bless

jessy verducci August 25, 2011 at 7:08 am

I have a TERRIBLE TIME with the “wants” from our children.Taking TV away would be good, but it wont work because its my husbands addiction.Watching the Duggars for many years ,I have seen both families enjoy so much.Keep up both showings they make my heart burst.

Gil August 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Dear Jessy,
The best way to help children learn to overcome selfishness is to teach them to give of their time and treasures! Consider a weekly nursing home or hospital ministry. Consider volunteering to help in a nearby ministry like a soup kitchen or Bible printing ministry. Volunteer to clean or cook for someone. Explain why you are doing this ministry and try to instill the idea that although it may be difficult and may involve sacrifice, the outcome is a huge blessing to all. And since your husband isn’t ready to give up the TV, try switching to older shows that teach character lessons or include family values. Love, Kelly

kelly mcclure August 26, 2011 at 4:24 am

I hope you guys will be in town this weekend so that you can meet my sister, Kym. We are out of town on a carpet cleaning job and she is going to stay at our house Sat. night. If you see her, she can explain why she’s coming to town without us being there. If you don’t remember me, I am the one who dropped by one Wed. afternoon and brought you the Duggar dvd that Kym had made for you! My sister makes a terrific Auntie who loves the Lord and people. I hope it all works out. Love, kelly