July 4th

by Kelly on July 4, 2011

_MG_9857

Happy July 4th… Let us not forget the blessings of our nation’s freedom and the price paid to keep it!… Even more important, let us not forget the freedom Christ offers from the bondage and penalty of our sin.

Song: Blood Bought My Freedom

Verse 1:

Land of the Free, Sweet home of Liberty,
It came at such a great cost.
Our Soldiers brave and true,
Gave their lives for me and you.
Thank God for the red, white, and blue.

Chorus:

Blood bought my freedom. _MG_9864
Someone had to die.
Someone freely took my place.
Blood was the price for supreme sacrifice.
Someone died that we might be free.

Verse 2:
Over the sea On an old rugged tree,
A battle was fought for you and me.
It won’t be fought again;
We have victory over sin.
Thank God for Calvary.

Chorus:
Blood bought my freedom.
Someone had to die.
Someone freely took my place.
Blood was the price for supreme sacrifice.
Someone died that we might be free.
Tag:

Blood was the price for supreme sacrifice.
Someone died that we might be free.
Jesus died that we might be free.

Song by Reagan Riddle, Copyright holder Primitive Music, sung by Pine Mountain Railroad

_MG_9869_MG_9873_MG_9875IMG_9911_MG_9885

Lynn July 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Happy 4th of July to you too Bates Family! You all look great! Love the little one’s dresses. Did Michaela make them? God Bless!

Gil July 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Dear Lynn,
Yes, she made them Saturday so they could match for church Sunday. A dear sweet lady we have never met in person mailed boxes of fabric! Michaella has been on cloud 9!! Kay Walter e-mails and posts comments and has encouraged us through many gifts! The fabric was a special treat! Love, Kelly

Kay W July 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

And I literally thank God I am able to do that. All of the credit goes to God and Michaela. God provides and Michaela creates. Take care and stay safe. Love, Kay

Leila July 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I love the new pictures and I love, love, love the dresses!! So cute!! Happy 4th!!

Emma Culverhouse (England) July 4, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Happy 4th of July Bates family!!!! Your little girls look so cute in those dresses, it makes me wish that I could sew :) I was wondering what some of your family’s favourite hymns were & if I would know them being English? love Emma xx

Gil July 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Dear Emma,
We love traditional hymns out of the hymnal… “It Is well”, “How Great Thou Art”, “Come Unto Me”, “Wonderul Grace of Jesus”, “My Anchor Holds”, “I Surrender All”, “Holy, Holy, Holy”, “Does Jesus Care?”, etc. Love, Kelly

Denise July 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm

happy 4th of July may God bless us all

Jessica July 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Beautiful pictures… and I LOVE the dresses, so pretty!!!

Kay Walter July 4, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Ah, Kelly, you make me laugh…so much for remaining anonymous. The credit goes to God for providing the funds and Michaela for her diligence and creativity. I just have the fun of selecting things. The girls look so cute and festive in their dresses. Kudos to Michaela for thinking of bows and flowers. You know I love you all. God bless. Kay

Marlana Ward July 4, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Happy Fourth to all of you as well! Hope you have had a safe and blessed day!!!

Elsa July 5, 2011 at 12:22 am

Such cute pictures! Happy 4th to you and your family!

Elsa

Courtney (WomenLivingWell) July 5, 2011 at 1:10 am

I love the red, white and blue! The little girls are adorable! And the 3 girls playing on the piano – I bet that sounds beautiful! You should make a youtube of that!!! We’d love to hear it!

Happy 4th of July!
Courtney

Emily S. July 5, 2011 at 2:54 am

Happy 4th of July! The dresses are absolutely darling! What a wonderful gift from Kay :-) Michaella did a wonderful job! God bless your holiday.

Danielle July 5, 2011 at 4:15 am

Happy fourth of July!! I absolutely love your blog! I love the matching outfits!!! Does Michaela ever sew to sell to the public?

Gil July 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Dear Danielle,
She has sewed for other families in our church and in our local area. Love, Kelly

Brenda July 5, 2011 at 4:36 am

That is a beautiful hymn! The dresses are so pretty. Wish I had tried harder when my best friend in high school tried to teach me to sew 30 years ago. With 6 children it sure would have come in handy. Hope you had a wonderful 4th! God Bless.

sonja petersen July 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

Very nice photos and everybody is dressed in blue, red, white. I like that very much. How fast Judson is growing, he looks like over a year old, i know he’s not but he is really a sweet big little boy.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany.

Sonja Petersen

Gil July 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Dear Sonja,
He’s almost a year… He turns one in September! Love, Kelly

April Smith July 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love the dresses too! They are so sweet!!!! I long to be able to sew like Michaella….a very special talent to be sure! Great job Michaella!

Nicole Pelkey July 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I was going to ask the SAME thing….Are the dresses homemade? Wow- they are beautiful. She is so talented to make those beautiful dresses, and to make so many!
Glad you all had a wonderful 4th of July! I have just recently found your blog and website, and enjoy it. It’s a blessing to me! Thank you!
Blessings,
Nicole

Cindy Jones July 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Happy 4th of July!!! I love the dresses!! I wish I could make stuff like that for my little ones.

Anonymous July 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm

What a beautiful family you have! How old is Addallee, Ellie, and Callie? They are too cute! Josie and Katie look EXACTLY alike, they could pass as twins!!! They are a year apart, right? Well, I hope you and your family had a wonderful time celebrating the birth of our country the Lord has given us…I hope you watched the fireworks!

Rachel Crosswhite July 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I love the matching outfits!! Good job Michaela !!

Happy 4th of July to the Bates!!

Missy July 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Hope you all had a great day! I agree with everyone, those dresses are so pretty!!! I’m amazed that you can make so many. It took me forever to make just one. I believe it is the same fabric I used to make my daughters dress, not for sure but it looks about the same. Mine had almost a slicker type feel and was easy to work with but I am not the seamstress your daughter is. Just curious- Did Kelly teach sewing and do you all teach the younger ones to sew? Love visiting the blog, Missy (from just down the road in Cleveland)

Gil July 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Dear Missy,
I can only sew straight lines (like for simple curtains). When Michaella was 9 or 10, I was having a hard time finding cute dresses and we all wanted to match. We would see the Duggars at conferences in matching dresses so I spoke with Michelle about wanting to learn to sew. She suggested teaching Michaella and Erin. Not being able to sew myself, I thought surely they were too young to learn, but Michelle assured me they weren’t and told me she had taught Janna. I couldn’t teach Michaella and Erin, since I didn’t know either, but they were interested in learning. One of the older girls from our church that often babysat for us could sew beautifully, so I asked her about teaching lessons. She taught them for several Saturdays. They both made pantalooms and dresses. Michaella took off from there and began sewing non-stop. Erin preferred sticking to the piano! Later, Michaella taught Alyssa and she also enjoys it. Without a doubt, it’s Michaella’s favorite hobby! Love, Kelly

Annette July 5, 2011 at 9:08 pm

ONce again Michaela takes my breath away with her sewing! The whole family looks wonderful with their red, white & blue theme. Nice to see how big Judson has gotten!!!

Lynsey July 6, 2011 at 12:27 am

your family is so beautiful!

Selina July 6, 2011 at 12:59 am

What a wonderful family you have! God bless all of you.

Kelli July 6, 2011 at 2:38 am

Wow! Michaela should open an Etsy shop! I would certainly buy some of her sewing creations!

Jennifer L July 6, 2011 at 6:21 am

Wow, I am so impressed with Michaella’s dresses! She really has an eye for colors and patterns. And she made them all in one day???

Gil July 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Dear Jennifer,
The fabric was chosen by a sweet friend who surprised us with a package in the mail. Yes, she made them on Saturday! She doesn’t use a pattern, so maybe that makes it quicker?! Love, Kelly

tammy lynn July 6, 2011 at 7:47 am

what a darling little family, You all have touched my heart. I am so amazed how you all keep the Lord in your family. It shows me if you all can do it then why cant I do it with a family of four! :) Thank you!!!

Susie July 6, 2011 at 8:21 am

So, so cute and pretty – i love those pictures :-)

April Smith July 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Me too, Kelli!

Sam July 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm

You guys looked great in these pictures! Happy 4th of July!

Julianne July 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Great job Michaella! The dresses are absolutely adorable! Thank you as well for sharing the words of that song – such a great reminder of the ultimate sacrifice of Christ!

Sarah July 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Dear Mrs. Bates,
I have a quick question i was woundering if there was anywere you could get cheap afordable modest swimsuites? I have found alot of places that have them online but there in the hundreds and i cant aford a swimsuite for that much. Thank you and God Bless Sarah!

Gil July 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Dear Sarah,
Michaella sewed ours. She used taslin for the dress and spandex lycra for the underneath body suit. Love, Kelly

Kay Walter July 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

She doesn’t use a pattern???? Michaela is even more of a wonder than I thought!!

Gil July 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Dear Kay,
She is more creative than me! She always wanted to learn to use a pattern also, though… Last year someone taught her and she was delighted! She still ends up sewing without one , though… She’s funny to watch because she sets the sewing machine on her lap instead of on a table… She hates photos, so I can rarely talk her into letting me get a picture! Love, Kelly

amber landers July 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Michaella,
you did a great job on the dresses!! I’m so glad that you have something that you love to do.

Bates family,

We hope that you had a great 4th of July! We are looking forward to having you all in Michigan in a few weeks, and hope that it works out that we will be able to see each other. Have a safe trip with your trips this month.

Annette July 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm

To be able to sew wuthout a pattern is truly a gift! Do you have a few pics of one of the swimsuits? I would be interested in seeing how they were made!

Gil July 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Dear Annette,
I’ll try to post one soon. If you look in the photo gallery, I think there might be an old beach photo. The swim dresses are navy with lime green sleeves and leggins. When I ever figure out how to update the photo gallery and add more recent photos, I’ll try to include that. Love, Kelly

Sarah July 7, 2011 at 2:35 am

Dear Mrs. Bates
I was woundering if it would be possible for Michaella to make me a modest swimsuite IF i paid for all the materials and her time spent on makeing it? If not i understand and thats ok.

Sarah

Gil July 7, 2011 at 3:22 am

Dear Sarah,
I’ll ask her to e-mail you and you can discuss it with her. Love, Kelly

Joyce Adams July 7, 2011 at 3:07 am

Dear Kelly, Gil & all Bates Family,
What a beautiful song and wonderful pitures. I hope everyone had a great time! Michaella, you did a wonderful job as usual! I too sew and I’ve noticed that you do wonderful work. Keep up the great job!I’m just so impressed that you don’t use a pattern! Have you considered modest clothing design as a career? Whatever you feel your calling is, I would encourage you to keep up sewing. Have I mentioned I’m very impressed? HA!
Take care & God’s Blessings on you all!
Joyce

Sarah July 7, 2011 at 4:26 am

That would be great! Thank you so much!! Love and God Bless Sarah!

sara( italy) July 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm

These dresses are adorable, I can hardly believe Michaella made them in one day!I´m not a good sewer, last time I sewed a simple dress for my cousin´s doll, it took me nearly two hours and the result was beveled.I have seen some pictures of your 4th party on your sister in law´s blog, looks like the kids had so much fun!I know it´s late…anyway happy 4th to you all!
Love Sara

rachel July 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm

the dresses are ADORABLE! so cute.

Denise July 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I love it when they sing that song at my church. I am sure the Bates family sings it beautifully! Can’t wait to meet up with your family again. What a blessing you are to all of us…… you are such sweet, precious folks!

Katie July 10, 2011 at 1:02 am

Those dresses are adorable! Michaella is so very talented, I can’t believe she doesn’t even use a pattern, if I had little girls, I ask for the directions, those dresses are just precious!!

Johnna July 12, 2011 at 5:36 am

If Michaela is interested in making modest swimsuits for extra money I would certainly buy a womans and a chids.
Thank you.

Christina July 18, 2011 at 2:24 am

Thanks for giving me the idea of getting someone to teach my daughters to sew. Sadly I can only sew a button..Lol! I think I need to invest in a sewing machine!

Gil July 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Dear Christina,
Wal-mart sells a sewing machine every year on the day after Thanksgiving for $50. We buy one every year because it’s cheap and its a good brand. They’ve never had a shortage and it gets put to a lot of use. Love, Kelly

Kay W July 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Dear Kelly, I didn’t know about Walmart selling sewing machines for $50. the day after Thanksgiving. If the local Walmarts do that, I know what my daughter, Sue, is getting for Christmas! Thanks!

Dee August 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I would be happy to pay Michaella to make modest swimsuits for myself, daughter and granddaughter. If she can’t for whatever reason, I will understand. Thank you and God bless you and your family.