MEMORIAL DAY

by Kelly on May 30, 2011

IMG_4926

We attended a small gathering in our community to honor the memory of those who have given their lives in service for our country. We were honored to be able to sing and play for this special event.

We were reminded by the speaker of many who gave their lives and many who might not have died in battle, but still made huge sacrifices as they lost limbs, memory, health, or  loved ones.

I was challenged as I heard him say we have become too busy celebrating the day off at the lake or enjoying other activities with friends to take time to remember the very reason we have this holiday! May God help each of us to slow down… to enjoy the holiday with friends and family… but to also pause to remember those who have paved the way to help us enjoy our freedoms!

May God bless each of you that are currently active in service and may God extend His love and grace to those who have lost loved ones in serving this great country! To you, we owe a debt of gratitude!

God bless!

IMG_4931

Carrie May 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Simply precious! I wish our “community” had something like this. How wonderful!

Eileen May 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm

So special! So many today do not even know the true meaning of this day. It does my heart good to see communities and families give honor to those who did give their lives in defense of our country. God Bless!

Pam May 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm

How truly special for your community. I just read about the history of Memorial Day and it was very interesting and should never be forgotten. I, agree, most Americans think of it as a long weekend to cookout; when it should include honoring all those who served and lost their lives for our freedom. Everyone, needs to take a moment and be still; saying thanks to those who fought for our country and made the ultimate sacrifice. As well as, visiting our loved ones graves to decorate; the holiday was originally called “Decoration Day” and communities decorated fallen soldiers graves. God Bless America!

Kay Walter June 1, 2011 at 12:15 am

As a woman who has had her father, husband, brother, son and daughter in the military, I say ‘Amen’ to this, Kelly. Thank God none were caused to give their lives, but there are other wounds, both physical and mental. God Bless

Carolyn June 1, 2011 at 1:59 am

Dear Bates Family,

How wonderful to see your family honoring our veterans. It is such a special day to me as I lost a Uncle in WW11 and my son, Wade spent a year in Iraq. We thank God he came home safe.

I am enjoying your updates so much, such a wonderful family.

God Bless you all,

Love, Carolyn

Randy June 1, 2011 at 2:03 am

Dear Bates Family,

Thank you for your kind words regarding Memorial Day. I have been in the Marine Corps for the last 22 years and my son has been in the U.S. Navy for the last five years. While we are Christians, your family and the Duggar family have really challenged us in our roles as a Christian Family. Thank you for everything that your family does on behalf of the Lord’s Kingdom. My father lives near Yadkinville, in a small town called Mt. Airy NC, perhaps we can hear Gil preach if we are in the area. God bless your family.

Randy Smith

Gil June 1, 2011 at 3:01 am

Dear Randy,
May God bless you and your son for your dedicated service and may He give grace and strength to you and your family! We do hope to meet you in NC! Love, Kelly

Sam June 1, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Its good to see people honoring our Veterans!!

Ana June 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Dear Brother Bates: I’m writing from Buenos Aires, I thank God and the operation of my adopted son Stephen has done very well, and is at home recovering and surrounded by the love of familia.Se strongly felt the prayers of the faithful Saints everywhere, and the mighty hand of the Lord has touched the lives of my son. I know you too have been praying for him and I am grateful in the name of Jesus. The Lord has put this ministry to host orphans and we feel very blessed to serve him, my husband, myself and my children we serve him faithfully because he is the only thing that sustains us and gives us strength day by dia.Me’d like to leave a word encouragement for the difficult times we have to go and me and my husband gives us strength to keep this in 2 Corinthians, chapter 6, verse 3 to 10. God bless this portion of his word and hope in the name of Jesus that we answer the mail. BLESSINGS.

Jonathan Bell June 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm

That’s so awesome!
It is VERY important to remember the people who have given their lives for our freedom!
On Memorial Day my father gathered everyone (our family plus another homeschool family), and we talked about those we knew who are in the armed forces, or have been in the past. That includes my dad’s father, and my mom’s father, who passed away several years ago. My father brought out the framed US flag that was presented to my mother in honor of my her father.
We later went down to a neighbor of ours who served in World War 2 and thanked him for his service to our country, and gave him a small token of our appreciation: a thank-you poster we all signed.
May we always remember all those who gave in any way for the freedom of our country!