Guatemala Part 2

by Kelly on March 21, 2011

IMG_4591IMG_4590IMG_4593

Lawson and Nathan worked with Mr. Dempster and his sons shoveling dirt to prepare a house site for a family in need. They filled 3 tandem dump trucks by hand! One thing our sons noticed was what exceptionally hard workers the Guatemalans are – all ages!

Besides their strong work ethic, another thing our children noticed was how loving the Guatemalans are. Children in the school run by the missionaries clung to our children – who loved giving attention and candy treats to these bright, smiling faces!

Although the public schools are free, the additional costs of uniforms and other items makes it difficult for children of low income families to attend. The missionary directed school enables many of these children to receive an education, who otherwise would not have the opportunity for education. These children are willing to walk for miles, over mountainous terrain just to attend school. The missionaries then offer, not only a free education, but also a loving environment for these special children.

IMG_4507IMG_5058IMG_4722IMG_5215IMG_5212IMG_4652IMG_4576IMG_5205IMG_4664IMG_4661IMG_5208IMG_4720

Sarah March 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Sounds like you guys had a wounderfull time!

Blessings sent your way!

(p.s. Hi Alyssa!)

Arlene March 21, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I’m really enjoying reading about your trip to Guatemala and the pictures too. My husband and his family are from Nicaragua so Central Americans have a special place in my heart. They live very simple, humble lives yet are thankful for what little they have. What a great example for us to follow!

Ruth March 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I babysit for a family that has adopted their three youngest children, two girls from Guatemala and a boy from Korea. The little 3 year old girl is the most loving, precious, and trusting person I have ever met. It must be in her blood. Thanks for sharing the trip with us!
In Christ,
Ruth

Jamie March 22, 2011 at 2:24 am

I did a Mission trip in Costa Rica with my church group. Your children are such a blessing to this world.

Chad March 22, 2011 at 3:12 am

Looks like an amazing time! God bless ya’ll. =)

Jennifer March 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

I did a mission trip in Peru. What a blessing that was for me. It looks as if your children have been equally blessed by their experience. One family in particular really taught me the value of having the right perspective.

Emily Raynes March 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm

These pictures are so sweet, glad ya’ll posted them! :) It really looks like it was a fun trip!

Alice March 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm

It is so refreshing to see that your children appreciate the true values of missionary work. Sadly, it is something which doesn’t happen very frequently in today’s society.
What a great testimony!
Many blessings,
Alice

Alison March 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm

These are wonderful posts to read. Guatemala’s beauty is breathtaking and the people are generous and kind. Your children will be forever changed by this trip.