A Trip to Remember!

by Kelly on March 18, 2011

_MG_4534

Four of our children were given the opportunity to travel with a family in our church to Guatemala for a short 10 day missions trip. The Dempster Family became familiar with the needs in Guatemala after adopting a precious little girl from an orphanage there 2 years ago. Since that time, they have kept in correspondence with a missionary and they purpose to return annually to volunteer their services. On this trip, their goal was to assist in a house building project, to distribute food baskets, to visit and help children in the schools and orphanage, and to share the love of Christ.

It was a new experience for LawsIMG_4831on, Nathan, Alyssa, and Tori who have never been outside of the U.S. They each worked hard to earn money for their expenses and were so grateful to be able to stay with the Dempsters, who acted as their guardians.

We each cried upon hearing them share some of the touching experiences they had during their trip…

(More details to follow in Part 2)

IMG_5192IMG_5190IMG_5225

Miss Linda March 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm

It must have been such a blessing to participate in taking the gospel message to Guatemala! It must have given your children such an interesting glimpse into a very different culture, as well.

I enjoyed reading about their trip. Thank you for sharing it.

I pray that God will richly bless you and your family.

Jennifer B. March 19, 2011 at 3:00 am

I’m glad they had a nice time and were able to help others on their trip. :)

Sofia March 19, 2011 at 3:45 am

My family moved to Guatemala because of my dad’s job. I love this country and everyone here. I am so happy to hear that they had a good time here.
God bless.

Kay Walter March 19, 2011 at 6:27 am

Doesn’t that little girl make a person want to go to Guatamala and adopt a baby or two? What a shame Frank and I are too old for that now! How nice the kids got to go to Guatemala and be helpful, as well. I’ll be interested in Part II. I know I should not have favorites, but Allysa has a special place in my heart.

sonja petersen March 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Hi Bates!
i’m sure, your children can do a lot in Guatemala. God bless them for their helping hands and encouragement. They must be brave to travel so far away from home. Best wishes, Sonja from Germany

Joyce Adams March 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Congratulations to you and your children for the fine exapmles that they are. What an opprotunity to be a shinning example of our Lords love. God Bless!

Casey March 19, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Mission trips forever change your heart and mind. I went on 2 out of country mission trips during highschool and they changed me so much. You don’t realize how much God works in your heart as you go to bring Him to others- I’m so happy that some of your children got that opportunity!

Casey March 20, 2011 at 12:51 am

What a wonderful opportunity!! Can’t wait to hear all about the trip!

Karina March 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm

God Bless those who want to help! I will go to Guatemala to help out someday.

Katie March 21, 2011 at 3:23 am

Sounds like an amazing experience! I wish i was able to do something like that! My family just recently started sponsoring a child from Guatamala through Compassion International and I can’t wait to get started with it!

Natalie August 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Our family, too!

Christi A. March 21, 2011 at 11:45 am

What a wonderful way to serve the Lord! May they be blessed and greatly encouraged for their service.

sara( italy) March 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

What a great opportunity to travel and help others!I would love to do something like that.I hope they enjoy this special chance to learn more abaut an other country.

Pam March 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Our daughter recently visited El Salvador and reported back to us a similar experience! Your children are blessed to be able to visit and assist those in Guatamala. Middle America is truly in need of volunteers on many levels: bringing the Lord”s word, helping in building, and giving items of need to them. We, also, know of a doctor from our area (living there part time now) who has established some scholarships for those students to excel and then study medicine (among he and his wife’s other generous work there)!